General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wall of shame

Old July 8th, 2013, 11:09 AM

Check out my sick hooker super comps bro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (49.0 KB, 678 views)
Old July 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM

I cured an "exhaust leak" on a 1 year old minivan with 4-3/4 qts of oil.
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldstata
Yes we did it under 1 time good will the mom was pretty mad
Wow. That's some pretty extreme good will.

- Eric
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Wow. That's some pretty extreme good will.

- Eric
Agreed it cut my time almost in half because of warranty time but hey the mom and dad had bought like three or four cars in the last two years so they seen it as good profit
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:05 PM

Yes we did it under 1 time good will the mom was pretty mad
Translate?
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by MellowYellow
Translate?
The car was under factory warranty it was not caused by faulty parts or workmanship so we good will (factory coveraged cost ) even tho it didn't qualify to be covered due to improper use

Last edited by oldstata; November 23rd, 2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM

I think he meant to say "we did it under warranty 1 time, good will, the mom was pretty mad"
The one negative thing I found while being a mechanic at a dealership is that the mechanic is always the one that takes it in the shorts. The dealer won't lose & they rarely stick it to the customer. Used to work on Susucki(Suzuki) xl7 suvs that had a oil leak from the factory. Customer pay rate was like 11.2 hours, warranty was like 7.5 or so? I did enough of them where I could get one done in about 4-5 hours or so, but still liked customer pay rate better.
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Justin

Yes it doesn't pay well under warranty it's like 2.2 and customer pay was 4.5
Old July 10th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Justin

null-24.jpg

null-23.jpg

Came in for a safety tire holds air and I can shine a light in the crack and see it through the bent part
Old July 17th, 2013, 03:04 PM
CQR

Both left side frictions are metal to metal. Both right side are 35% or better. Customer states he hasn't installed Tire chains for several years on this vehicle.

IMAG1248.jpg
IMAG1249.jpg
IMAG1250.jpg
Brake line pulled forward and kinked, brake cable kinked in 2 places. This truck is only used for pulling equipment and livestock.
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Justin

Not sure if this qualifies but girl broke up with bf and woke up to this

null-28.jpg

Last edited by oldstata; November 23rd, 2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:10 AM

Not sure if this quilfys but girl broke up with bf and woke up to this

I'd say that qualifies as shamefull and lame at the same time.
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:25 AM
NOVICE car nut

Thank You all for posting this stuff ! I now feel a bit better about myself lol
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:26 AM
NOVICE car nut

Ok , how about trying to fix your exhaust with duct tape ? I had a friend that tried to do that , and lets just say it didn't last very long .
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
Ok , how about trying to fix your exhaust with duct tape ? I had a friend that tried to do that , and lets just say it didn't last very long .
Lol I had a friend bring in a astro van and the tie rod had bailing wire around it to hold it against the knuckel because it was so bad that the socket had came apart
Old July 28th, 2013, 09:46 PM
NOVICE car nut

Lol I had a friend bring in a astro van and the tie rod had bailing wire around it to hold it against the knuckel because it was so bad that the socket had came apart
I think I did that once to get home from being stranded , but fixed the problem once I was home.
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:15 AM
CQR

51 Chevy 5 window pick up came in last week. guy just put a new master and booster on it.

20130730_131858.jpg

Yes those are compression fittings and yes that tube going down to the distribution block is copper.
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by CQR
51 Chevy 5 window pick up came in last week. guy just put a new master and booster on it.

Yes those are compression fittings and yes that tube going down to the distribution block is copper.
Wow! Glad that thing isn't on the roads around here. That is scary.
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:08 PM

Well this is what happens when you think that the bellhousing bolts are tightened enough...
My car came here in Finland at 2012 from US and someone at that end did not know how to tighten bolts
Attached Images
Aski.jpg (39.1 KB, 576 views)
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:47 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by Delta88conv455
Well this is what happens when you think that the bellhousing bolts are tightened enough...
My car came here in Finland at 2012 from US and someone at that end did not know how to tighten bolts
Wow
Old August 1st, 2013, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Delta88conv455
Looks more like it took a heavy bounce and broke the bell housing. I don't see how loose bolts would break that area from the trans. A heavy shock load is more believable to me.
Old August 1st, 2013, 06:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by edzolz
Looks more like it took a heavy bounce and broke the bell housing. I don't see how loose bolts would break that area from the trans. A heavy shock load is more believable to me.
I agree on the type of force required to cause this type of failure, but then the next question is: How???

All I can think of is driving it around without the crossmember.

- Eric
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by CQR

And, yes, both pistons of the master cylinder, which are different sizes, are feeding the same single brake line.

As for the copper, there is copper brake line that is legal. It comes in bulk rolls and is not cheap, but if you are redoing a number of cars, it is much easier to work with than steel, and it is immune to salt.

- Eric
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:22 PM

So Many Stories

No pics guys, sorry.

But a couple for you wander at:

1. A farmer came into the shop said his steering felt loose on his 73 Ford p/u (Back in the mid 80's). Went and looked at in the parking lot, had the right outer tie rod disconnected and hanging straight down from the drag link. Asked him how long it felt that way he said for about ten miles after he had came to a stop sign on a gravel road. He went back and actually found the nut his son inlaw had installed after he worked on the p/u. And no is wasn't castled.

2. Wish I had pics on this one! In early 2000's I managed a collision shop. Kid came in with a Grand Prix, about a 1996 with dents in the edges of the hood on both sides about 3/4 of the way up at the same place. Funny though the dents were from the bottom side of the hood denting the outer skin upwards! Oh by the way the front of the car was lowered, did I mention that! lol......... To lower the car this kid took the front springs out of the car, yes NO SUSPENSION! It pounded the shock towers all the way up into the hood. At least he left the struts in place! Result car was totaled.

3. A good reason why states are now requiring rebuilders to be inspected before being reregistered for use again. Service advisor at the time, has a customer come in with a Sunbird GT complaining the clutch wasn't engaging completely, wanted a warranty repair. First clue had a SE front end on a vehicle that was 18 months old. Car had been clipped with the complete front GT clip replaced with the SE including unibody structure (Firewall forward) and done very poorly. The hard plastic line from Clutch cylinder to slave cylinder had been cut, I assume in the accident that caused it to become a rebuilder. To repair the surgeon that worked on this project took a barbed brass two sided nipple, heated the plastic line to slip over the barbs, let to cool off and sent out the door. Not even clamped! Of course it leaked. As the Soup **** said, NO WARRANTY FOR YOU. I think that's what he said anyway!

Bill
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:56 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 1320dragmonza
No pics guys, sorry.

But a couple for you wander at:

1. A farmer came into the shop said his steering felt loose on his 73 Ford p/u (Back in the mid 80's). Went and looked at in the parking lot, had the right outer tie rod disconnected and hanging straight down from the drag link. Asked him how long it felt that way he said for about ten miles after he had came to a stop sign on a gravel road. He went back and actually found the nut his son inlaw had installed after he worked on the p/u. And no is wasn't castled.

2. Wish I had pics on this one! In early 2000's I managed a collision shop. Kid came in with a Grand Prix, about a 1996 with dents in the edges of the hood on both sides about 3/4 of the way up at the same place. Funny though the dents were from the bottom side of the hood denting the outer skin upwards! Oh by the way the front of the car was lowered, did I mention that! lol......... To lower the car this kid took the front springs out of the car, yes NO SUSPENSION! It pounded the shock towers all the way up into the hood. At least he left the struts in place! Result car was totaled.

3. A good reason why states are now requiring rebuilders to be inspected before being reregistered for use again. Service advisor at the time, has a customer come in with a Sunbird GT complaining the clutch wasn't engaging completely, wanted a warranty repair. First clue had a SE front end on a vehicle that was 18 months old. Car had been clipped with the complete front GT clip replaced with the SE including unibody structure (Firewall forward) and done very poorly. The hard plastic line from Clutch cylinder to slave cylinder had been cut, I assume in the accident that caused it to become a rebuilder. To repair the surgeon that worked on this project took a barbed brass two sided nipple, heated the plastic line to slip over the barbs, let to cool off and sent out the door. Not even clamped! Of course it leaked. As the Soup **** said, NO WARRANTY FOR YOU. I think that's what he said anyway!

Bill

Wow , no wonder we need safety inspectors in every state , because of stupid people .
Old August 1st, 2013, 11:36 PM

I agree on the type of force required to cause this type of failure, but then the next question is: How???

All I can think of is driving it around without the crossmember.

- Eric
Well the loose bolts were my first thoughts when i was opening bellhousing bolts... by fingers
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:22 PM

As for the copper, there is copper brake line that is legal. It comes in bulk rolls and is not cheap, but if you are redoing a number of cars, it is much easier to work with than steel, and it is immune to salt.
But how can you tell brake line copper from plumbing copper?
That setup he used looks just like the 1/4" stuff I used to hook up my icemaker, all the way down to the compression fittings that always leaked and were replaced with sweat fittings...
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
But how can you tell brake line copper from plumbing copper?
A good question, and I am not sure of the answer, but I believe there are features built into the appearance of copper brake line that clearly distinguish it from icemaker line.

For more information:
Jegs
AGS, a manufacturer
Two brochures

By the way, I just replaced all of the brake lines on a car, and had completely forgotten about this stuff - it would have cost the same to buy a 25' roll as it did to buy all of those steel pieces, and been ten times easier to bend.

- Eric
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:06 PM
GM Enthusiast

Funny stuff and sad at the same time. Reminds me of the last car I bought. Makes you wonder who these people are.
Old September 5th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Justin

Radator blew apart and they just kept driving 7000.00 dollar motor

null_zpsd242fc92.jpg

Melted the piston
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:08 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

A woman ran over a mattress on the highway and decided not to worry and kept on driving.

The ensuing jumble finally whipped around enough to tear a hole in the fuel tank. The lack of fuel is what finally brought her vehicle to a stop. She had managed to drive 30 miles with a 60-pound tangle of wire wrapped around the drive shaft. She had it towed to the dealership and complained that the vehicle had a “sort of shimmy” when she was driving at high speeds. Yes they walk among us and are allowed to freely bread!

Below are the photos of what they found at her dealership ...
Attached Images
carmattress.jpg (52.7 KB, 422 views)
carmattress3.jpg (39.4 KB, 405 views)
carmattress2.jpg (38.1 KB, 391 views)

Last edited by droldsmorland; September 6th, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
A woman ran over a mattress on the highway and decided not to worry and kept on driving.

The ensuing jumble finally whipped around enough to tear a hole in the fuel tank. The lack of fuel is what finally brought her vehicle to a stop. She had managed to drive 30 miles with a 60-pound tangle of wire wrapped around the drive shaft. She had it towed to the dealership and complained that the vehicle had a “sort of shimmy” when she was driving at high speeds. Yes they walk among us and are allowed to freely bread!

Below are the photos of what they found at her dealership ...

Can you imagine the noise and vibration that was going on in that car? That is insane.
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:50 AM

on a recent business trip, an older gentleman driving his rental van pulled the hood release instead of the parking brake release. The van seemed rather sluggish on the 20 mile drive from airport to downtown SFO, didn't notice the smoke in rearview mirror!
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Justin

Originally Posted by JPMDaddy
on a recent business trip, an older gentleman driving his rental van pulled the hood release instead of the parking brake release. The van seemed rather sluggish on the 20 mile drive from airport to downtown SFO, didn't notice the smoke in rearview mirror!
I had a ex that did this drove far enough that it boiled the fluid and the brake pedel dropped like a bad master cylinder I had to torch off the drums
Old September 6th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Semi metallic brakes on a big rig. What's that hanging under this truck? It goes here... And here it is, the air brake chamber
Old October 28th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Justin

So I am not sure this isn't a faulty part but over tighten and no anti seize

null_zps7ee2e77c.jpg
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:52 PM

2000? Toyota Corolla,
Kids dad said the brakes felt real low, kid had been driving it a while like this.
The inner pad is completely missing!!
The edges of the piston were rubbing on the rotor. He wasn't to far from losing all the brake fluid due to the piston coming out of the cylinder bore in the caliper.
New rotors, pads & calipers were in order.
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:20 AM
Justin

Do this kid has been coming in for service work for three years last year I told him you can't put a bigger turbo on and not upgrade injectors and computer flash.

Well this was his price he had to pay
4k later for a 600.00 dollar fix

5FF909BF-ECB7-4BF6-8733-AAACEE6C61E2.jpg
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yes, but the picture is priceless.

Sure you can't just lap that and reinstall it?

- Eric
Old December 21st, 2013, 08:10 AM

Here in SE MI I have seen a lot of this in the JY. It is the right side rear ear or leg of the engine cradle.

MVC-454F.jpg

This is a pic of where the cradle attaches to the unibody under the foot well. People drive them until the frame separates from the body and starts to drag on the ground.

MVC-451F.jpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wall of shame