General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Question / observation regarding engine timing

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2013, 11:21 AM

Question / observation regarding engine timing

I have always wondered why everyone is so set on having their timing set to an exact "degree". Before you jump all over me I do understand the correlation of timing and a good running motor. Is it not just as easy to do it the way I am sure many of us have done- timing by "ear" and test drives? Say for instance it is recommended to run XX degrees of timing for a given set up, I set my timing to the recommended degrees and the car does not run quite right. Instead of hooking the timing light up again etc etc what would be wrong with just turning the dist a tiny bit to tweak it, test drive it, be happy with the results and be done with it???? Boils down to this i guess-why is setting the timing to a number "better" than trial and error. It seems an arbitrary number is useless if one can hear, feel and see their car is running top notch at a given timing as opposed to having it set to that arbitrary number.
Old April 1st, 2013, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Most V8's run at their best with a total mechanical timing of 34-38 degrees BTDC all in generally at around 3500 Rpm. In addition to that they usually like some more in vacuum advance for fuel efficiancy. The reason people like to know their specific number is to make it repeatable after a repair or tuneup.

Total timing is also based on other things, atmospheric and temperature conditions, dwell, and quality of fuel.
Old April 1st, 2013, 12:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The reason people like to know their specific number is to make it repeatable after a repair or tuneup.
Ding, ding, ding.

Look, the factory specs from the 1960s will NOT be correct for the cat urine that passes for gasoline today. Set the timing where the car runs the best, and the reality is that a degree or two either way is unlikely to make a noticeable difference in performance unless you start detonating.