General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rop

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:47 PM

Talking Rop

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you seeing this thread have membership over on ROP. I've tried a few times recently to get membership activated by following their instructions exactly, but to no avail. After a little searching on here I read an older thread that leads me to believe this is not all that uncommon. I spotted a couple of parts a member over there has for sale but no email is listed, so I'm outa luck unless I can find someone here who can pass along my email address or get his for me. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!

BTW- I just read that many of you guys were getting real sick of all the pop-ups, especially over pictures, me too! I took the advice of a couple of you guys here, and downloaded Firefox and am now using it and presto - NO MORE CADILLAC ATS ADS PISSING ME OFF FOR THE 100TH TIME! So smooth and quick now, no more troubles with download speed and intrusive BS!! If you haven't tried Firefox, please do so and save yourself some aggravation.

Thanks again, I always learn something when I log on here, Oldsmobile related or not.

Mark
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:51 PM

I tried and tried to get signed up over there, lots of good info. but it seems that nobody approves new members anymore.

Should be called RCP (Real Cutlass Power) since, at least from the outside looking in, that's all I see posts related too. I guess I wouldn't fit in over there
Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:00 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

They are ignoring me, too. I got over it....
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I tried several times and never a reply. Doesn't matter I love this site the best.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:14 PM
Senior Moment Member

X2 on that. Lot of nice people here.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:51 AM
Administrator

That has been the std complaint.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:02 AM

Yep...Its a running joke around here...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/general-discussion/33447-how-do-you-join-real-olds-power-com.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/general-discussion/38045-one-one-realoldspower.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/big-blocks/24424-realoldspower-com.html

Site has some good info, but terrible administration....
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:06 AM

I've been on there for a long time. Lots of great info there as well.

No idea why people have issues getting signed up.

Terry
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:08 AM

I joined in '05 without drama. I will help with the parts thing if you want. How do you want to do it?
There's lots of people who belong to both, I see the same posts on both frequently.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by vette442
I've been on there for a long time. Lots of great info there as well.
No idea why people have issues getting signed up.
Terry, it's not signing up that's an issue, it's waiting for the approval. Maybe you're just saying the same thing as that though. All other forums that I've joined I've received the approval/welcome within minutes of applying.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:29 PM

I've applied twice and heard nothing. I'm assuming they aren't looking for new members?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:00 PM

Did all of you send an email too?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:33 PM
Registered Luser

Add me to the list....tried several times over the years.....like Phil Collins said, "but, there 's no reply at all..., there's no reply at all.....is anybody listening?"
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:42 PM

A friend of mine recently got his account activated after about a two year wait.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
What exactly would be the point of that if they don't even bother to look at the application??? Maybe I'm missing something here. Seems to me that if I sent them a bunch of emails asking why they're dragging their feet they'd just blow it off as undesirable.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:49 PM

I've tried twice and no response....
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
What exactly would be the point of that if they don't even bother to look at the application??? Maybe I'm missing something here. Seems to me that if I sent them a bunch of emails asking why they're dragging their feet they'd just blow it off as undesirable.

The point is its part of the process.

They don't read the applications for a reason.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Pete, with all due respects, that's confusing. If they don't read the applications why even bother having them?? That's just inconsistent - you mean they WANT me to me a nag nag nag nag nag until they get fed up enough to approve me?? THEN they'll go back and see if I applied? Doesn't make sense.

I see you joined ROP back in 2005. I applied back in 2008 after I joined here. Got on here right away - no fuss or bother. Maybe you could explain the logic behind the ROP membership process and philosophy to help all of us understand it better. You're more active over there than here so how 'bout some insider scoop?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:12 PM

To get your ROP membership approved you first need to apply. Then email the site administrator 1.2M times to get a response. After you have done step 2 and not received any feedback head back over here to CO and ask whatever question you were going to ask over there.

What you might find is that the question gets answered with less attitude, less grief, and possibly by someone that is actually interested in the long term outcome of your project.

After you have done all of the above, send one more email to the ROP site admin. Let them know that you have found a home at CO and their antiquated system sucks.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:40 PM
Senior Moment Member

Originally Posted by covertolds
A friend of mine recently got his account activated after about a two year wait.
I really like your car. Way cool!
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Pete, with all due respects, that's confusing. If they don't read the applications why even bother having them?? That's just inconsistent - you mean they WANT me to me a nag nag nag nag nag until they get fed up enough to approve me?? THEN they'll go back and see if I applied? Doesn't make sense.

I see you joined ROP back in 2005. I applied back in 2008 after I joined here. Got on here right away - no fuss or bother. Maybe you could explain the logic behind the ROP membership process and philosophy to help all of us understand it better. You're more active over there than here so how 'bout some insider scoop?
Did you read the application sticky?

Don't nag , send the email(s) to one or both Hunts. Some people are getting in and I can't explain how long it takes.

There are 207,000 registered users there because of the phpBB version and the reason for the email.

Tripdueces got on after you. If I recall his account was activated and he didn't even know it.

Lots of bashing in this thread, thought this was a friendly place.

You can complain about there version of phpBB but they get ZERO pop up and ZERO advertisements and its not owned by some spamming Marketing company. It's owned by real people who own Oldsmobiles.
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:14 AM

I didn't. But I also didn't see an email address to send a message. I'll have to look again.
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Same here. I like the color and the stance of the car. Best looking Cutlass S I've ever seen.
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442
Same here. I like the color and the stance of the car. Best looking Cutlass S I've ever seen.
Oh stop it now. You're making me blush.
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442
I didn't. But I also didn't see an email address to send a message. I'll have to look again.
It's in the Forum titled

Important please read before registering.

In that forum is a thread titled

Registering on realdoldspower

I'm guessing others here didn't read it. Otherwise all of the complaints would be about the email.
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by covertolds
Oh stop it now. You're making me blush.
Seriously, though. I was eyeing it up yesterday before anyone else commented. I was going to mention how nice it was, but didn't want to go off topic.
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:36 AM

It's in the Forum titled

I'm guessing others here didn't read it. Otherwise all of the complaints would be about the email.
No....I didn't notice that thread at all. I caught hell for the same thing over at the HAMB. When I get around to trying again, I'll come back here and read your post so I'll know where to look.

I've got to go work on my son's laptop, at the moment.
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:45 AM

It's in the Forum titled

Pete,

I used to be pretty successful at e-mailing Russell to get people approved but in the last two years I haven't even gotten an e-mail back. The last person I knew that got locked out got a hold of Russell through facebook. I think the website is probably so over run with spam applications that they can't sift through for the real ones anymore.
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Don't nag , send the email(s) to one or both Hunts. Some people are getting in and I can't explain how long it takes.
There are 207,000 registered users there because of the phpBB version and the reason for the email.
Pete, thanks for the information. You're right that I never read the sticky, but didn't even know to look for it. Honest error. So I did what you suggested and fired off an email to Russell. I'll wait to see if it gets done soon and give feedback here.

I think this is a friendly place (site). Prolly just a lot of folks who haven't seen that sticky, just like me who don't know the email is to filter out bots. I don't think ROP is being bashed here, just a lot of folks frustrated with not knowing the process? (and forum pre-registration sticky). IMO it would be helpful to say that in the registration blurb - Cheers!
Old February 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM

I sent an email earlier this morning. I had to sign up with dashes on either side of the "71" because I'd already applied under my current id and it said it was taken. I tried signing in, thinking it might be approved, but it didn't work.
Old February 24th, 2013, 11:34 AM

I tried numerous times and sent numerous emails, not sure what the magic sequence was as it was a while ago but eventually you get in
Old February 24th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Unlike a commercial site like this one who wants all the members/ potential customers it can get ( hence the money making pop ups and clickable links and adds all over etc), ROP is run by two brothers who have there hands full with there church,running a drag strip and having the site called ROP,They want the site to be there's with no help so its kinda hard to get on,In the old days it was a snap but then came automated bots registering filling it with spam etc..So now its a chore to get registered, That's the bad.......The good is...There us a TON of go fast knowledge on that site,Great part deals and 90% of the member's are really good people.....you ignore the f*cktards make a nitch for yourself sell your stuff,Post some stuff make people laugh or think........Just like here more or less........I have heard facebook is a good line of contact to reach the owners...........Jerr
Old February 24th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

yeah kinda like this......Not aggravating at all........

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
popups2.jpg (85.5 KB, 226 views)
Old February 24th, 2013, 02:45 PM
One part at a time

You can complain about there version of phpBB but they get ZERO pop up and ZERO advertisements and its not owned by some spamming Marketing company. It's owned by real people who own Oldsmobiles.
+1 - I don't hang out here much due to all the junk popups.
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 67 442
+1 - I don't hang out here much due to all the junk popups.
Get ABP>Ad Blocker Plus. I have it and I never get a pop up here or anywhere else either.
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:45 PM

ABP for the win...I don't get ANY advertisements on CO. Just a static Tire Rack square at the top of the page that is about 1" square. If you aren't using Chrome or Firefox with Ad Block Plus you don't know what you're missing.
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:58 PM

Tripdueces got on after you. If I recall his account was activated and he didn't even know it.

Well said!
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:35 PM

The reason why you have problems joining ROP is because RealOldsPower doesn't exist anymore. Now it's called www.iloveawarmgun.com.
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Get ABP>Ad Blocker Plus. I have it and I never get a pop up here or anywhere else either.
Exactly. Ad blocker even removes the ads from my free forum, without which Id have to pay to remove.

I dont get the lame excuse of the Hunts not having enough time for ROP. I dont think Ive ever heard them say that, but it seems to be everyones excuse to explain why people cant get in. I run a very small forum, and I find time (5 minutes) to scan new members and allow them in. I work 50+ hrs a week, have two small kids, work on my cars in the little free time I have and still can scan my site each night. Its not that hard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rop