General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How did you get your Oldsmobile?

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:03 AM

I traded my 71 Cheyenne that had just been all freshened up for my 72 Cutlass. I then sold it in 2004 and bought it back from the same guy in June of 2014. The Cutlass is starting to show some age but I just cruise around and I'm not a trophy hunter at shows so its ok. I will get blown apart and restored when the kids get a little older.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140621_154440.jpg (73.7 KB, 458 views)
20140611_174025.jpg (110.3 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Rocketdriver; January 23rd, 2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:36 AM

The last one, the '85 442, I was forced to buy.

The first one I went looking for a hot rod, maybe Chevelle or whatnot, but they were either hokey or pricey. 1968 442 ad came up, piqued my interest having had Cutlasses like '64 and '67... went to see, nah, too much rust. Few days later went and bought. Fell in love. Found out later it is an original W30.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Weeeeeell, I was looking for a first car for my son. I looked at a lot of cars and this one came up for sale around the corner for $11k. I thought it would be cool for him to have the very same model of car I had as my first car and for us to have a father and son project. I offered her $5k and told her that she didn't have to say no right now but to entertain my offer if it did not sell for the price she wanted. A few weeks later she called and said come and get it. It was very tired and needed a lot of TLC.

Needless to say the father/son thing did not work out. So I continued to play with it, started in 2009. I have been using it as my DD and ongoing toy since.
Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:39 PM

I had been looking for several months for some form of muscle car. Mine came up on craigslist for $5000 obo and after looking and negotiating, I got for $3500. Needs work but I thought it seemed fair for a running 67 Olds. I have always loved the 67 models and look forward to working on this beast!
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:39 AM

Always wanted a american v8 car,most a big one, after i get the oldsmobile i realize im happy to have something that not everyone have,, like FORD (mustangs) etc, chevys...

but buicks come after olds in my favorites, i like pontiacs too, and some dodges/mopars too..

anyway my buddy has one, i got it cheap, bad condition but i save it and it has not be registrated since 2005,it got on the roads 1-2yrs after, and the project still continue. best car i ever have and with no problems at all!!
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:11 AM

I was looking for a 50s US-Car but no chevy bel-air. So someday I found this 1950 Olds 76 about 200km away from my home. I contacted the owner and one day after work a buddy and I went to take a look at it. The owner found it somewhere in CA where it settled outside for about 30 years. He bought the car drove it in the USA and then brought it to Germany. It had a great patina which I really liked. But it had no floor, no seats and it was too much work. I wanted something like a turn-key every day driver.
So this was not my car but from the moment I saw it, I knew I had to buy an Olds.
I searched every platform for a 50s Olds but didn't find anything. Then I contacted a company which buys and imports cars from the USA to Germany and they found my Super 88.
About 2,5 months later it stood in my driveway :-)
Best day ever!
Old July 18th, 2015, 09:58 PM

sorry this is late but i got a 1980 olds cutlass calais with electric seats,ac,cruise,power windows,rally gauges consal shift,and the p.o. changed the motor out to a 350 with only 1200 miles on it,all i had to do was haul it home to rosaila+ 9miles to pine city. it runs but needs electrical work and some work on the drivers side rear quarter panel,looks like she backed into something(women drivers).
Old July 19th, 2015, 02:13 AM

Never saw this thread before, so here's my story. Always been around Oldsmobiles, family had owned them, I had a few when I was younger. I always wanted to do a G-body Cutlass with a big block, big blocks are my thing. Somehow got to a point where it hadn't happened yet, and noticed I'm not getting any younger, as those middle-aged guys can relate to. Finally found one on E-bay. V6 car for $1,200 with no motor and decent paint without any rust. Perfect candidate, only 100 miles away. Rented a trailer and picked it up. Picked up a low-mile mild 1970 455 the next day, and had it installed factory style within 30 days of weekends and late nights. Been perfecting it for the last few years, it has become my favorite car of all time, bar none. Now planning on '80s B/C-body and Toronado 455 builds, just because.
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:35 AM

I had never owned a classic car before, but I always loved the way they looked. I was looking around craigslist for a few months actually looking for a nova and found my 70 Cutlass Supreme. Had a hell of a time getting it because the man I bought it from received the wrong title from the woman that he bought it from up in Massachusetts (He was paralyzed and wasn't able to drive it so he never got it registered in his name... not quite sure why he bought it though) After more than a month of waiting we were finally able to make a deal and I love the way the car looks and drives
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:47 AM

A friend of my brother had a 1970 cutlass S for sale for $2500. It ran, but had a miss in it and it ran like crap. The interior needed work, and the paint was bad, but it was 98% rust free. I ended up trading a 1999 Yamaha Roadstar for it. It was completely stock and, most importantly, all-there. I couldn't have been more pleased. I've wanted one since before I even had a driver's license. 25 years in the waiting, and now I have one.
Old July 19th, 2015, 08:22 AM

When I was 11 years old I went into my neighbors garage to get their lawn mower to cut their grass, they had a brand new 1972 Olds Delta 88 4 door hard top, I instantly fell in love with that car. Later on when they traded it in for a '78 Ford, I purchased the car while a senior in high school.
Attached Images
Picture 007.jpg (447.5 KB, 35 views)
Picture 003.jpg (578.6 KB, 33 views)
100_1024.JPG (1.24 MB, 27 views)

Last edited by 72hardtop; July 19th, 2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old July 19th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Photoshop God

In 1974 my dad bought my mom a car. She wanted a convertible and we were looking at the local Olds dealer. They had a brown and a blue 71 cutlass convertible. This was a week or two before the fourth of July. The blue one was supposed to be used in the parade. Dad bought mom the blue one, her favorite color and the brown one was in the parade. This car is the car I first drove and learned how to drive in. In the early 80s it was getting a little worn and they replaced it with a white turbo k-car convertible. That car sucked. They may as well not have put a rear window in it. At that point the cutlass went into the shed and has been there since. Dad used to start it once in a while, but it just sat there waiting for someone to love it again. My son and I started the major project to get it back on the road last summer.
Old July 20th, 2015, 05:06 PM

I had sold a 71 Caddy DeVille but soon wanted another old car. After almost giving up on a car that didn't need much work I answered an ad an found a totally rust free Cutlass that spent most of its life down south. It had only 58 K miles. I bought it on the spot.
Old July 21st, 2015, 09:02 AM
car nut farmer

Originally Posted by Rocketdriver
I traded my 71 Cheyenne that had just been all freshened up for my 72 Cutlass. I then sold it in 2004 and bought it back from the same guy in June of 2014. The Cutlass is starting to show some age but I just cruise around and I'm not a trophy hunter at shows so its ok. I will get blown apart and restored when the kids get a little older.

Reminds me of the '71 I had. Love the green.
Old July 31st, 2015, 04:32 PM

Late 2009, I finally had my license and enough funds to start looking for my first car (I think I was the only person in my Drivers Ed. class that didn't have their parents buying brand new cars for them) and was looking at Craigslist ads. I've always loved classics so I was mostly looking at cars from the 70s/80s when I found one of the few that didn't have any pictures whatsoever.

The gentleman selling the car was the grandson of the original owner, a 94 year old woman that had backed it into an SUV and crushed the trunk and the taillight... I gave the number listed a call anyway, and got a couple pictures emailed to me for inspection (these pictures are lost to time, or I would post one!) and I was told that if the other interested party didn't purchase it then it was mine if I wanted it.

I got the call the next day that the other person had to cancel his trip from Ohio to get the car, so I could get it the following morning if I wished, by that time the next day I was the proud owner of my first car, a 1977 Olds Omega!

ZoonBK1.jpg
aDLz5zG.jpg

...And boy, the abuse this young driver has put that car through in the following six years

click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_143838517811813&key=06ebac0a5ed0464433a26a3e049b6e07&libId=ics.png
Old November 21st, 2015, 02:25 AM

Come get it!

I found my cutlass through my old boss who had an 80 cutlass that had been in the family for a while...but he saw how i had put together and restored my 86 grand national and he told me ti cone get it as l9ng as i had tags for it... so i did!
Old November 21st, 2015, 10:36 AM

I found my 70 Cutlass (sport coupe) in the "NY Car Buyers Market" and bought it in Brewster, NY for $1200.
My brother forward an email link about a 70 Cutlass Convertible in South Plainfield, NJ and I bought it for $7000.
Old November 24th, 2015, 06:47 AM

Bought my 67 442 in 68 from a dealer(paid for it while in Nam), bought a 71 CS from a dealer in 72, bought a 91 Cutlass 2 dr. from ins. salvage (needed a left front fender), bought a rust free 67 F85 2 dr. on ebay, bought a 68 Delta 88 with a 1,000 miles on complete rebuild of the 455 and TH 400 on craigs list. The 455 and trans. now live happily in the F85. Will post pictures if some one could show me how.
Old November 24th, 2015, 07:30 AM
jfb

I liked joe padavanos story a lot first of all that is the way it should have stayed owner to owner no auction and collecting bs. I found my 71 in Berwyn il for 400 first and 325 with out a battery I paid 325 and installed a battery from 2 blocks over from pep boys. There battery was old and well used and corroded.The car sat for a winter with the trunk and hood open in the snow but was a California kept car beforehand. This area is still a hot bed for lower priced cars they keep cars forever in this area and do not rip you off. I will say though that they are not high end cars out there.Like my sx they are appropriate for income levels there.
Old November 24th, 2015, 07:42 PM

Back in 1984 there was a apartment complex near where I was living in the Chicago suburbs that had a trailer every so often with some 60's/70's muscle car on it. One day as I was driving by there was a 1969 H/O on the trailer.... I screeched to a halt, pulled in, had no idea who's car or trailer, so I wrote a note on a piece of paper basically saying if you are interested in selling the car please call and left my phone # thinking that it was a long shot at the least. To my astonishment, three days later the guy called me and said the person he brought the car up for backed out of the deal and I was the next person in line. Turns out the guy basically picked up cars in Georgia and California and brought them back to the Chicago area to sell. I was so naive at the time that I had no idea on how to verify the car or to tell if anything was original, just lucked out as everything turned out to be correct as I learned as the years passed.
Old April 20th, 2019, 11:59 AM

Picked this '68 up in TJ about 3 years ago. A guy that used to work for me years back gave me a call & said the original owner was through putting money into it. She brought it down for new vinyl and the whole roof was rotted through when they took the old one off so she just let it go. Cost my $900 for the car & $2200 for the roof which was from a '68 Chevelle. She had every receipt in the trunk going back to '74, 116k on the body, 19k on rebuilt motor & tranny. The original black plates need to be restored in case anyone was curious, couldn't read them for ****. Replacing the trunk & rear floor pans and going in for paint once the tax man pays up!

Old April 20th, 2019, 06:53 PM

I’m 67 now so I’ve had my share of cars! My first car was a well abused 70 442 that my older brother borrowed one evening. Later that night I heard my parents and my brother talking outside in the driveway , he got t-boned, he was ok thank God but the was totaled! A couple of months later I picked up a well worn 67 442 4sp for the tidy some of 750 dollars, these were 1973 dollars. From this point on I had a couple of non Oldsmobiles then through a little luck on my part my girl friend lost her license for speeding. I ended buying her car, a 1968 cutlass S 350 4sp duals and posi. I believe it to be a 320 hp engine? She is now my lovely wife of 42 yrs! Life got in the way for quite a few years but as time passed I was able to get back into fun cars again. So last fall I fell for a 64 F85 455 turbo 400 , 391 O type rear. I think I over paid for the car but it is pretty much a rust free car with lots of new cool parts. It has some documentation and protecto-plate. Thanks for listening. I am really enjoying everyone’s stories.
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:48 AM

I went to my friends shop and saw this car sitting behind the shop I asked him what’s up with that car, he said it was going to California to another friend who was going to use the front subframe to build a rear engine enconline, I walked over to see it an saw the Toronado GT on the hood, I said I want it and he said it’s yours all you need to do is find another subframe to go to California that’s how I came to own my 70 Toronado GT. My 71 convertible is a different story. My brother in law had bought the car and had it for about 10 years, I had bought a 2001 Z28 Camaro, six months later a lady pulled out in front of my wife and the car was totaled, I bought a 2000 Camaro Z28 body to rebuild using my 2001 but it just wasn’t going to be the same, my brother in law wanted the Camaro and wanted to sell the Cutlass so after a little negotiating I traded the Camaro plus $2000 dollars for the Cutlass, I think I got the better deal!
Old May 27th, 2019, 10:21 AM

Spotted my U code 72 Supreme on CL😀
Old May 27th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Gary

I had a long-distance romance in the early 80s. I would see her every other week as part of my job in the plant where she worked. On one of my trips she presented me with the 1970 Vista that I still own. She knew I liked Vistas, found one in the Auto Trader, bought it and got it home.

Is it any wonder that I married her?
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:30 PM

Mine was my parents last car. It's a 1987 Delta 88 Royal.
Old September 11th, 2019, 09:58 AM

It's cool reading these stories, particularly the ones from usernames I recognize! I don't recall having seen this thread before, somehow...

My '71 Cutlass S was my sister-in-law's first car, she bought it in 1989 when she was 21 as I recall. She drove it for years before it was sidelined for repairs which never came to be due to she and my brother completely restoring a couple other classic muscle cars. I've been a VW Bug guy since the mid '80s but always had a hankering for some good ol' V8 muscle but wasn't really sure what I wanted except I knew I didn't want the typical Mustang/Camaro/Chevelle, etc. We first discussed my purchase of the dormant car around 2010...and I commented on my vision of seeing it painted a super deep, rich blue reminiscent of the deep Pacific Ocean I've spent many years travelling. The discussion sort of died there and I pretty much forgot about it until talking to my brother a couple years later and the subject of selling the car came up again. This time we agreed on a price of $3,000 with the understanding that the engine needed a top end rebuild, there were no brakes and the body had some rust issues. And that I am never to paint it blue! As it turned out, the engine was fine apart from needing a new timing chain; the brakes were easily replaced and I haven't done any bodywork yet...just been enjoying driving it for the last few years. The Bittersweet colour has really grown on me and now I can't imagine it being any other colour when I do get to the bodywork. This one will stay relatively stock.

My '70 Cutlass S came about because "curiosity killed the cat". A friend mentioned he knew someone selling a "hardtop Olds, am I interested". I wasn't really, as I already had a couple plus too many Beetles. But I said I'd like to have a look at it thinking that the one you don't go look at is the one you wind up kicking yourself for. We went for a look on dark and rainy evening - the car was in a small, unlit storage locker where it had sat undisturbed for 20 years! Yep, barnfind material here. The body and paint had been redone before storage but was covered in years of dust and debris from the ceiling drywall tape and past that was slowly collapsing. The trunk was solid and clean, the car was complete but of course hadn't been run. I asked how much he wanted although doing the mental math I figured it would be out of my ballpark if he wanted to recover some of the cost of paint and 20 years of storage fees...but I was blown away when he said $5,000. Sold! A couple weeks later we pulled her out, put air in the long flat tires, primed the oil and got her started. After finding the fuel pump was still good, we gassed her up and I drove her home (with very dodgy brakes). Cleaned up real nice. The downsides? The engine was a late '70s 260 V8 and the body has been debadged with 442 between the grills. Hoping to have this one back on the road next year sporting a 455, bucket seats, console shift, limited slip rear, decklid wing, aftermarket OAI hood (keeping the original for the future though).

All the other Cutlasses I've owned over the last several years seem to have their own interesting (to me at any rate) stories, but these are my two "keepers".
Old September 11th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Gearhead

I was wanting to get back into Oldsmobiles after many years away. I wanted a nice A-body, but didn't want to pay the high price for a 442 or H/O, nor did I want to be afraid to drive it because it was a rare high-buck car. I found a very nice looking '68 Cutlass at Napoli Auto Outlet in CT. From seeing the data tag, I knew It was not an OEM color, so that turned me off. But it had such eye appeal that I kept going back to it. After spending weeks looking at other A-bodies and repeatedly going back to this car, I finally called Napoli and talked to Lenny. I told him, "C'mon, Lenny, I'm an old car dog and I've been in this business all my life. Just give me the straight scoop on the car". He didn't know that car had been repainted a non-correct color. But he assured me the repaint had been done to a very high standard, and that you couldn't tell there had been a color change. He said the car was very straight, very clean, and that he believed the 41K miles it was showing were actual. I ended up buying the car. When it arrived a couple of weeks later on my doorstep, I was pleasantly surprised to see a really nice car, just as he described. Since then, I've done a few things to it, but it still wears the paint it had when I bought it. I get tons of compliments on the color. It's too bad Olds never offered it. As best as I can tell, it's Aleutian Blue from Pontiac. I'm lovin' my Cutlass and am glad to be back with the Rocket Division.

09WHXgx.jpg
Old September 11th, 2019, 12:18 PM
MOTORHEAD

I purchased my gold 442 at the honda dealership in white bear lake minnesota...
That was only about 20 years ago. It was in the back row of the used cars and ad was in local sunday news paper
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:33 AM

In the summer of 1974 of my senior year I bought my first car, a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. In 1975 I graduated from high school and went into the service and married my first wife as to this day. Serving 6 years in the Navy and over 100,000 miles of memories we sold the car in 1981. After raising a family and having a desire to have our Cutlass back we started our search in 2005 to reclaim our lost love. Not being able to find our original Cutlass, we found this car with all the factory available options for its time in Santa Fe, NM. We drove down bought and trailered it home, it was a running car but not to our expectations.

The restoration began October 2015 my first full frame off restoration and having no experience in auto restoration the journey began. Having all the skills and good mechanical knowledge I took on the challenge. All the OEM components have been restored to maintain originality. 3 other cars donated their lives and purchased NOS or OEM used parts from all over the US. I did all the welding, sheet metal work, body work and the paint.

The car we bought in 1974

Here she is the completed restoration
Old September 13th, 2019, 12:13 PM

Bear with me... A little background..

My father owned a 1965 442 he bought new in 1965 (3spd on the floor post car) at the age of 21. His twin brother bought a new 1966 442 the next year (4 spd). He and his brother used to tear up the streets of New Orleans and Biloxi dragstrip with these cars. They both sold them when families and other priorities came along.

Around July 2013 my cousin (my father's late twin brother's son) contacts my dad and myself about a 1965 442 in Hemming's nearly identical to the one my dad had. Same exterior color, interior color, etc. (His was a 3spd, this is an auto).

Dad and I make contact with the fellow (Mr. Les Faris of Las Vegas) and after many discussions dad decides to buy the car sight unseen and have it shipped to him (Texas from Vegas). Mr. Les was VERY upfront and honest and showed a genuine love for the car during his ownership. He was selling due to health reasons.

Long story short, dad (69 y/o at the time) calls me a few days later and asks me to call the transport company and arrange meeting the transport truck for delivery of the car as he is having it shipped to my house (circa Birmingham, Al.) rather than his in Houston. I ask what he is talking about. He explains he never had the opportunity to enjoy his 442 with me but wants me to enjoy this one with my boys ( 8 and 5 at the time). I am blown away but not surprised if you knew my dad and his heart.

Coincidentally, about the same week a friend of mine who knows I like 442's (because of family history) calls and said he heard about a local 1966 442 tripower 4 spd for sale. We go to check it out. I call my cousin and tell him of the car to see if he would be interested since his dad had a very similar car and he ends up buying that car. Fortunately my cousin and I have always been close and share a love of cars and our fathers. Unfortunately his father passed some years ago from cancer.

You may recognize the 65 from an episode of "Counting Cars". The "count" tried to buy it at the time but Mr. Les did not want to sell it then. I have to say the car far surpassed our expectations and was more than we could hope for. Mr. Les took wonderful care of her and I continue to try to meet that standard.

Pictured are the 65 being delivered to my house, another with my 65 and the 66 my cousin bought in my garage prior to my cousin taking possession and a picture of Mr. Les with the 65 in Vegas from the "Counting Cars" spot a year or so earlier.

I have owned and sold many cars over the years, the 65 is a keeper....

Thanks for my reading my story and thanks Dad!

Last edited by 1arunem; September 13th, 2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old September 18th, 2019, 06:30 PM

My First One

I was 16 years old in 1975 and had a 1960 El Camino I bought from my Dad for $50. It was nice, had black diamond tuck interior, blue dash and running lights and chrome wheels with baby moons. It had a 327 and a 3 speed on the floor. I went dirt bike riding one day (looking for some girls) and a guy stopped me and asked if I wanted to trade for his Oldsmobile. It wasn't there so I told him maybe but I wanted to drive it first. He knew a friend of mine so the next day he came to my door and asked if I wanted to take a ride with him. I walked outside and there was a 1970 442 W-30, Metallic Burgundy. He started it and I got in the passenger seat as he started to drive. He got on one of the larger streets in the neighborhood and hit the gas. My head hit the headrest and then this noise kicked in (the quadrajet secondary's)and we took off. I never had that feeling before and knew right then I had to have that car. We traded; my $50 El Camino for his 442 W-30. He owed $2400 on it and my payments were $147 per month. I found out later he lost his job and couldn't pay his insurance due to tickets so his parents said he had to get rid of it. I kept it until 1982 when I went to Korea for a year and my then Wife sold it while I was there for $1,000. A college kid bought it and I heard several years later he put a 350 in it because the gas was too expensive. Never heard or saw it again.
Old September 19th, 2019, 01:43 PM

Graduated from college in 1980 and decided to move from New Jersey to Arizona drove my Toyota. With summer approaching a car with no AC would not do. I went to a used car dwaler, Sonoyta Motors, typical used dwaler strait out of the movie Used Cars. Their TV ad had a salesman sitting on a donkey talking about their cars always finishing with "si habla espanol". On the lot 1977 Cutlass Supreme GCSX 40K miles black on black. The owner offered $2, 200 for the Toyota I would owe $2, 500. He went on to say no one will finance you because your only in the job a few months, but you look like a good young man and I will personally carry the note. I always got looks and comments on the car. People wanting to know if I was crazy or retarded, having a black car in Arizona.
Old September 20th, 2019, 09:55 AM

Bought mine off of Craigslist. Car was an hour away. Went to look at it. Decided to buy it the next evening . https://imgur.com/gallery/zSZaZs7

Last edited by budg; September 20th, 2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old September 20th, 2019, 12:47 PM

I purchased my current 66 from an OCA member in March of 2015 after he saw my want ad in the OCA magazine. I was looking for a 66 Lucerne Mist Cutlass Convertible original 4-speed car. Instead I bought a Target Red 66 Cutlass Convertible original 4-speed car. It was 30 minutes from my home. He passed away suddenly two years after I bought the car. I enjoy it very much.

Wayne

Last edited by 35tac; January 5th, 2021 at 10:30 AM. Reason: New picture.
Old September 21st, 2019, 03:24 AM

Found it for sale on the side of the road and my mother gave me $2000 to buy my first car. I paid $1500 for the car and spent the rest on fees and insurance. That was in 2002. Could never find a car like that in such good condition today for the price, not even a 4-door.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 08:00 AM

The term first love comes to mind when I think of my 1971 Cutlass S. Like most car guys, I started out by finding a "dream car". I fell in love with First Gen Camaros. To me there wasn't a more beautiful beast. But, being a broke 15 year old boy, I had a better chance of a long dead Colonel Sanders choosing a hamburger over fried chicken. This first love was much like a high school relationship, full of high hopes but low chance of success. The reality of this hormonal driven first love, required me to look into other GM muscle cars, and even consider a girl's Mustang (1964-1966), but none seemed to really set my heart on fire like a Camaro did.

Endless searching of Craigslist, local classifieds and farmers fields for anything seemed to all be in vein! I was still stuck on those Chevy F bodies. One day while searching a local classifieds sight I found it. My one true car love! (Please note the car part, my wife would kill me if I failed to point that out.) It was a 1971 Cutlass 455 for $1700, it had no pictures of it but being only 2 hours away I could afford to go check it out. I showed my grandpa, who actually owned a hopped up '65 Cutlass back in the day, and he agreed to drive me over to see my new found flame. I spent my evenings google imaging: "Cutlass" and "442". My imagination ran wild those few days of waiting.
The time came for us to drive over and see it. I felt like I was going on a first date! My palms were sweaty, I had every question I wanted to ask the guy about the car planned out. It seemed like such a long drive but at last we were at this junkyard out in the middle of nowhere.

This yard was massive! He seemed to have cars from every year dating back to 1934! But none of that mattered, I was here to see that Cutlass. The man walked us to the back of the yard. I could feel my heart pounding, I swear it felt like a cartoon where the heart is seen through your shirt! We rounded the corner and there it was, a dilapidated body of a once beautiful Olds A Body. It felt like someone I had kicked me in the guts. This love of mine, could never last! She was just way to high maintenance for this 15 year old to take on. It needed everything. The engine was seized, the transmission was missing and there wasn't a straight panel on this old girl. It was more then I could take on.

I walked away that day discouraged. I ended up getting a '78 Cutlass with a 260. It was a far cry from the muscle cars of my dreams but it was fun while it lasted. 8 years would pass and I had a few more cars and trucks, and I had good times with all, but nothing like the love I felt for that '71. I would continue searching classifieds, not with that same gusto I felt as 15 year old. It seemed that time had just taken my love of cars and crushed it. I would never get the chance to own a car of my dreams.

Then, I was introduced to this Youtube show called "Roadkill". After introduction, I was hooked. I binge watched every episode! I was amazed and inspired! These were thrashed cars that didn't have nice paint, but instead, the focal point was the fun you can have with them! I began my search again, this time with greater excitement then ever, thanks to the inspiration of Roadkill and amazing garbage. I wanted to find my love again, and this time I was giving up once I found her.

The resources for buying and selling old cars have expanded since I was 15. We now could use Facebook! I searched through all the old posts, messaging and commenting and hopes of finding another Cutlass. After scrolling for what seemed to be forever I found one. It was from a year earlier. A 1971 Cutlass, complete with a 350. The ad said it ran when parked. I couldn't message him fast enough. From the pictures it looked straight. It took two days for the guy to message me back! He told me that he still had it, I told him I would be over to take a look at it the next evening once I got off work.

This Cutlass was only 45 minutes away, but those 45 minutes seemed to be as long as the two days I had waited to hear back about the car in the first place. I finally rolled into this farmers field. There she was, looking as if she had waited for me. The car had a bit of patina but was straight except for where the farmers daughter had hit the rear bumper with a tractor (only in Idaho). The imperfections made her beautiful. We hooked a battery up to her and poured a little gas down the carb. I waited eagerly... It ran!! The sound of the custom exhaust (sawzall right before the muffler) sounded amazing! I quickly shock his hand and paid the 1900 bucks (yes $200 more then the one from when I was 15).

I came back with a car hauler the next morning and took it home. Smiling the whole way. Finally a love that would stay with me! When I got home I immediately started working on it. I replaced the wheels and tires, cleaned the carb, changed the fuel filter and oil then changed the plugs. I could hardly contain myself, the time had come. I was going to drive the car I had fell in love with almost a decade earlier. It came to life after just a few pumps of the gas! I backed it into the road and took my first cruise! Then the engine blew the next week and about a year later I we got it running again! Love my Olds
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Car Running.mov (4.93 MB, 5 views)
Old May 28th, 2020, 01:29 AM

With more than 200 I choose from one of the more memorable ones

[QUOTE=viper771;37703]no i agree, I just wanted to make it broze anyway. yeah, it is chevy orange I believe, I painted the 6 cyl in my 56 chevy the same color heh [/QUOTE

I believe one that would be almost as interesting as my 67 442 from Colorado with a six-pack in the trunk for 500 bucks] would be the 69 two-door with a 3-spoke steering wheel bucket seats console 350 auto trans from the Eureka area where Two Fellas were having a pissing contest over it 1 having the car the other having the title not wanting to take sides in this we wisely decided the buy the title of course

in the meantime the vehicle was relocated and then one day driving down 57 I just happen to spot an A body
1/2 mile off , sitting at a house and as I have to do , I had to investigate and I started looking at it I see 69 with 3 spoke wheeI I see the VIN number I got memorized & like Jed Clampitt said "lill doggies !"
​​​ went and got the brother , wrecker , backed up to it with title in hand and out comes this guy from the house just as nice as can be ..& he brought the parts out of the garage & put em in the car.... real nice guy turns out it was a guy's brother who possessed th car but not th paperwork. It was all nice and legal if not actually correct in various opinions that will always be shared when its mentioned

Last edited by rocketscientis; May 28th, 2020 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Want 2
Old January 5th, 2021, 07:54 AM

I graduated high school at 17 in 1982. The guy living across the street from my parents had a 1971 Olds 442 w/455. Purchased for $2000.00, I drove her everywhere. Raced her in 1991 and 92. Pro Street Champion in 92! I have kept her thru many good/bad times. Move from one state, 1200 miles to another. Back to the first state and then 2100 miles to another state. She has gone with me everywhere. More than I can say for the ex-wife. Two years ago my grandson was born and named after me. I now know where the car will go in the end. I have been in the motorcycle business for the last 37 years and felt it was time to restore a car and not a motorcycle. I have her completely disassembled now and am turning the corner on assembly. Frame is done, motor is done, transmission is done. I am currently doing the front and rear suspension. I'll kick out some pictures next.

Last edited by CaveMan13; January 5th, 2021 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 5th, 2021, 10:20 AM

I don’t recall ever responding to this thread, if I have this will be a rerun!

My dad alway had Buick and Olds cars. He owned many Gran Sports, a few Skylarks, lots of Olds Cutlasses, and many Vista Cruisers. He has never been a gear head, but did appreciate a well tuned car.

My first dream car was a 70 Chevelle. Unfortunately, they were always out of my price range. I had a cousin who was a hot-rodder, he had a 72 Cutlass that had a warmed over 455. This was in the early 80, it had the typical Monroe Skyjacker air shocks, big N50 tires, aluminum slot wheels, and an interior that was put together from several different year Cutlass/442. I LOVED the sound and torquey feel of the 455. I figured the Chevelle will probably always be a goal, but at the time I thought the Olds was a close second on the want list.

Once I hit driving age, I got serious about my own muscle car. I found an ad in the newspaper for my 69. I called, made arrangements to see it, fell in love. I was a couple hundred bucks short of the asking price, figured by the time I scrapped the cash together it would be sold.

Lucky for me, the guy lived about 1/2 hour drive from anywhere. We had a freak snowstorm that basically closed down the town for a while. Since he lived so far away from anything, it was a long time before any plows cleared the roads. The ad in the paper expired, allowing me enough time to beg, borrow, wheel and deal the additional money I needed.

Im guessing whoever originally ordered my car was broke, but wanted a toy. I have verified by the matching vin stamped in the case the transmission that was in the ca is the original one, according to the calibration code the car had the more powerful engine (obviously NOT the W-31 engine) but had manual drum brakes, manual steering, Rally Pac, console, buckets, no A/C, and 3.08 limited slip. I thought I really lucked out with the 12 bolt rearend! Only much later in life did I find out not all 12 bolts were the same. When I bought the car, it had almost new tires, unfortunately non the same size. One tire on the rear was several sizes taller than the other. You can imagine what 2 different diameter tires will do to the clutches in the rear end. I had planned to swap carriers and gears from a racing buddies 12 bolt, won’t work with the Olds O axle.

I have had several engine, transmissions, rearend in this car since I bought it in 87. Once I graduated from college and really decided to have fun with it my goal was a 11 second street car. 20 some years later, I have achieved the goal, unfortunately, 11 second cars are nothing to brag about now.

I have done 3 Power Tours, 2 Drag Weeks, many street machine National in both Duequin Illinois and Minnesota, been all over the Midwest on road trips, who knows how many Dragstrip passes, and drive it as much as I can. Surprisingly, I have never gotten a ticket, I can’t recall ever being pulled over.

It’s my therapy. Having a bad day? Go for a drive. Feeling a bit frustrated with life? Hard to be in a bad mood driving the Olds!!

Quick Reply: How did you get your Oldsmobile?