General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 illustration/parts book?

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:12 PM

72 illustration/parts book?

Does anyone have or know where i can find on the net, a parts illustration book from 72 or older. mostly i would like to see one that covers the 62/63 Jetfire turbo parts. I found the 72 parts book on WAC but want to see the illustration book.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Eric, I think those are mostly locked in bank vaults or something. Last time I saw a 'complete' book - like the whole shebang that used to be laid out on the parts counter - it was listed at crazy money.

If I ever see one in my web wanderings, you'll be the first guy I contact. Agreed on the WAC book. Also not complete. I was looking for trim pieces on their site and it wasn't listed. But the parts manual I had from 83 not only had the listing but the illustration too. When they get everything posted that they claim to have I suppose it will be a great resource. In the meantime what parts of the turbo are you looking for? I thought you had it all rebuilt a year ago?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM

mine is all rebuilt. I am mostly doing research but also want to find one particular part to have around for a future build. I very much want to rebuild my own system some day. It's not likely to happen because the only guy in the world that has the parts will not sell them without him doing the rebuild. We like this car so much we would consider selling all the others and finding another Jetfire.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I very much want to rebuild my own system some day. It's not likely to happen because the only guy in the world that has the parts will not sell them without him doing the rebuild.
LOL Eric. Where have we heard this before??? By this time in 2 years you'll have bought him out and be parting out all those goodies. HEEEYYY!! He might have the exploded parts views you're looking for in his manuals and might let you copy them???
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
LOL Eric. Where have we heard this before??? By this time in 2 years you'll have bought him out and be parting out all those goodies. HEEEYYY!! He might have the exploded parts views you're looking for in his manuals and might let you copy them???

lol, If i was to buy him out i wouldn't be selling off the parts. I would likely try to continue his rebuilding business. I am not sure how much he has left. he had a small run of parts made to do it. I think i read somewhere that he had enough to build around 30 systems. I am guessing he has rebuilt at least 10. May never be another 20 systems needing rebuilt. He said they have estimated less than 50 cars left with the turbo still intact. Ken (1k442) has mentioned, and i agree.. that 50 is a high estimate. I would hate to know what he had to pay to get these parts made in small quantities.

I just got off the phone with a guy that MAY have an NOS upper radiator hose. I am going to look into it and if it is, i want to try to get a small quantity of those made.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:10 PM
Trying to remember member

Does anyone have or know where i can find on the net, a parts illustration book from 72 or older. mostly i would like to see one that covers the 62/63 Jetfire turbo parts. I found the 72 parts book on WAC but want to see the illustration book.
Eric, I have parts Illustrations books that may or may not cover those parts. The Illustrations catalogs do not cover every part of every year. By far. Eventually these will be posted when we get the time.
I'd guess that the Service Guild Training manuals for 62 and 63 may cover it.

Agreed on the WAC book. Also not complete. I was looking for trim pieces on their site and it wasn't listed. But the parts manual I had from 83 not only had the listing but the illustration too. When they get everything posted that they claim to have I suppose it will be a great resource. In the meantime what parts of the turbo are you looking for?
Apparently you do not understand what you were looking at. The '72 Manuals posted are absolutely complete. If the part you are looking for is not there:
1. The part number was changed or superseded.
2. The part (regardless of number) was not available at the time the catalog was published. The purpose of the catalog was not to list correct parts, but list part that were *still available*.
3. You looked in the wrong place. There is a separate "Body" and "Chassis" section.
Different Olds parts catalogs came different ways. Some combined illustrations and some did not. You should notice that the '83 edition does not have illustrations of all parts, nor for all years.
The '72 edition is the most comprehensive for the '64-'72 cars.
We will get them all posted (the ones we "claim" we have) when we get more people willing to contribute and not just benefit from them being there.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:47 PM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

Jensen Racing - Here is the 1962 Jetfire Factory Service manual - I think this will contain most of what you need -

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9960368573417

On wild about cars.com
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by wmachine
I have parts Illustrations books that may or may not cover those parts. The Illustrations catalogs do not cover every part of every year. By far. Eventually these will be posted when we get the time. I'd guess that the Service Guild Training manuals for 62 and 63 may cover it.
Summary: As of right now - you can't help any more than anyone else.

Apparently you do not understand what you were looking at.
Actually I do understand what I was looking at, and a lot more than you give me credit for. FYI, those parts I was looking up were from 70-71, which should have been available in that manual, but weren't. They were however listed in a subsequent version that listed parts beyond 1968, which was the limit of the parts listing in yours....and heaven forbid I should use the 'most complete GM Parts Manual' to look up 'incorrect parts' or parts that weren't "available" a mere year or 2 later??? The horror of having a 72 manual in a dealership that can't give info for a 1-2 year old car???? I know for a fact that GM sent out periodic parts catalogue updates - I worked with several Dealerships in our area back in the 70's and saw first hand what you 'apparently' think I don't know anything about.

And FYI, both manuals showed the part group changed, but your listing fell short. Also the 83 parts manual I have with the exploded parts diagrams does cover just about everything I look for and gives me a handy 'go to' reference for Group number to look up. IMO it's more complete than what you have and easier to navigate.

We will get them all posted (the ones we "claim" we have) when we get more people willing to contribute and not just benefit from them being there.
LOL - great jab! Well good luck with that. Far as I understood the concept of 'free to join' and 'free to use' that you're posting all the time is exactly that. Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed, ok? So I'll continue to use and enjoy the benefits of what info you 'do have' available without having to contribute just like thousands of others who do the same thing.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:36 PM

I'm not sure of what it takes to convert paper pages to useable PDF files for web use, but it must be time consuming. For example, I just donated to "wild about cars" the illustrated parts book for 33 to 61 Chebbys, it's 1007 pages thick! I can understand the large amount of time it must take to scan all 1000+ pages.......I for one am very grateful for the available Olds information that is online at this site. Sure, not every bit of info is online, but I think we should be thankful for the info that is available, considering it is free for anyone to use.....
Harold
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:17 PM

I have a few of them, and huge bad *** blue binder one (Canadian eh) that cost quite a bit.

Last edited by oldzy; January 2nd, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:06 AM

Summary: As of right now - you can't help any more than anyone else.
You didn't understand what I said there either, but that wasn't said to you anyway. The "summary" was that I thought there may be better places to find Eric's info than the Parts Catalogs. And that was correct as Bob posted. Yes, on WAC too, a surprise to you?

Far as I understood the concept of 'free to join' and 'free to use' that you're posting all the time is exactly that. Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed, ok? So I'll continue to use and enjoy the benefits of what info you 'do have' available without having to contribute just like thousands of others who do the same thing.
You understand quite correctly. But the difference is that the others don't see fit to publicly trash talk the site and efforts the there.
Quite frankly, I don't understand your propensity to bite the hand that feeds you. But maybe I do.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by jrzybob442
Jensen Racing - Here is the 1962 Jetfire Factory Service manual - I think this will contain most of what you need -

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9960368573417

On wild about cars.com
Thanks but i have that manual. The info i am looking for will not likely help much but don't hurt to have it. I found a guy with a stash of 61-63 NOS parts. I would just like to find some part numbers. also found some of the numbers in the 63 assembly manual. I worry that some of the numbers in the assembly manual would have been superseded. i think there were several upgrades over a couple years on them to cause the numbers to change. That is why i would really like to see more of the 72 stuff.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:35 AM

I should use the 'most complete GM Parts Manual' to look up 'incorrect parts' or parts that weren't "available" a mere year or 2 later??? The horror of having a 72 manual in a dealership that can't give info for a 1-2 year old car???? I know for a fact that GM sent out periodic parts catalogue updates - I worked with several Dealerships in our area back in the 70's and saw first hand what you 'apparently' think I don't know anything about.

And FYI, both manuals showed the part group changed, but your listing fell short. Also the 83 parts manual I have with the exploded parts diagrams does cover just about everything I look for and gives me a handy 'go to' reference for Group number to look up. IMO it's more complete than what you have and easier to navigate.
Sadly neither versions of the books that I have looked at are "complete". I own a 1983 publication book as well, and it is "missing" some vital items. I would tend to think (as mentioned) the parts were not available at the time of publication... regardless if they were in a previous or subsequent print.

I have also discovered that some of the Groups do not have entire sub assemblies listed in the Index page. I'm thinking GM never offered those items as bit peices of a larger component... hard to say.

John
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:00 AM

Thanks but i have that manual. The info i am looking for will not likely help much but don't hurt to have it. I found a guy with a stash of 61-63 NOS parts. I would just like to find some part numbers. also found some of the numbers in the 63 assembly manual. I worry that some of the numbers in the assembly manual would have been superseded. i think there were several upgrades over a couple years on them to cause the numbers to change. That is why i would really like to see more of the 72 stuff.
Eric, between your first post and this one, I'm a bit confused as to what you are looking for. There are other Parts Catalogs between '62 and '72. Do you have part numbers you want to look up? If so, email me a list (preferably with group numbers) and I'll see what I can find. (Also are sure they are Olds part numbers?)
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just so we're all clear, the parts catalogs that the dealership parts departments used were regularly updated. As parts were dropped from the system or superseded, the book was revised to reflect this. The bottom line is that the further the PRINTING date is from the model year you care about, the less useful that particular copy will be. As an example, I have the August 1983 printing of the parts book that supposedly covers the 1975-75 cars. It is pretty worthless. By 1983, the only BBO heads still in the parts system were J and K heads. J heads are listed in this version of the parts book as the applicable heads for all BBOs except the W-motors. K heads were listed for the latter. This, by the way, is why people seem to think that K heads are equivalent to F heads. They are not equivalent, they were simply the closest match available at the time.

Now, I also have Sept 1968 and early 1970s printings, and these are MUCH more useful.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

This is why we are striving to get as many parts books and assembly manuals on line. Assembly manuals are good because they usually have an illustration with the parts numbers shown.

The problem is that many of the books are paper only and we have to scan them in slowly but surely. This is why we ask for people to donate (even on a temporary basis) what they might have.

Remember, when you die, your spouse will likely throw it all in the dumpster (male or female), so help others out and think of the future. if we had started this 20 yrs ago just think what more would have been available.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:43 AM

Eric, between your first post and this one, I'm a bit confused as to what you are looking for. There are other Parts Catalogs between '62 and '72. Do you have part numbers you want to look up? If so, email me a list (preferably with group numbers) and I'll see what I can find. (Also are sure they are Olds part numbers?)
I have copied much of the group 3.342 to 3.374 section of part numbers but not sure what most of them are. An older set of manuals would be great also because i think one of the parts i was looking for a part number for had already been discontinued by 72 and this one is not in the assembly manual. I have not looked at the parts the guy has yet. He don't even know if there are any Jetfire parts there. he did say there were some strange parts that he had never seen before that were engine/carb related. I was just hoping to have some part numbers with me when i go to look at them and hoping to score something good. I would like to just buy him out of all he has for 61-63 but i think he will be way high. I have found that most 61-63 guys don't like to spend money so that also add to just getting what i need for myself.

note: the guy that rebuilds the turbo system that Allan and i was talking about above is not the guy that has the parts i will be looking at.

Last edited by jensenracing77; January 3rd, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:37 PM

I have copied much of the group 3.342 to 3.374 section of part numbers but not sure what most of them are. An older set of manuals would be great also because i think one of the parts i was looking for a part number for had already been discontinued by 72 and this one is not in the assembly manual. I have not looked at the parts the guy has yet. He don't even know if there are any Jetfire parts there. he did say there were some strange parts that he had never seen before that were engine/carb related. I was just hoping to have some part numbers with me when i go to look at them and hoping to score something good. I would like to just buy him out of all he has for 61-63 but i think he will be way high. I have found that most 61-63 guys don't like to spend money so that also add to just getting what i need for myself.
What may be the most valuable to you is the Parts and Accessories Catalog, Chassis Edition, Models through 1965, Effective April 1969, same sections, obviously. How soon would you need it?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:51 PM

The guy is 3 hours north of me and in no hurry to sell the stuff. It will likely be sometime in early February before i go.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You understand quite correctly. But the difference is that the others don't see fit to publicly trash talk the site and efforts the there.
Prove I publicly TRASH talk your site. I can say publicly that I have been disappointed to not find material on your site any time I want. That's not trash talk. It's a statement of fact. I've seen quite a few others comment that your site is NOT that easy to navigate, but I sure don't see you jumping all over them. I've learned how to navigate your site just through perseverance, and frankly it's NOT that easy to work with without prolonged exposure. I gave up using your search engine because it requires 'exact word' or 'exact spelling' references to work. We (you, Bob and I) discussed this in an email once before and I was basically blown off because I offered a comment that I thought would 'improve' the efficiency of WAC. I understood the reasons given - basically $$$ and programming and accepted that. I'm sure I'm not alone in my comment about the search engine. Most folks who use it likely won't know what the 'trigger words' it uses are or be bothered to spend the time trying to figure them out. When the search comes back with 'no results found' I don't spend a lot more time trying to figure out why. Do you want me to throw you a bone here? I did say, and maintain
When they get everything posted that they claim to have I suppose it will be a great resource.
You call that trash talk? I've seen you post on several occasions that WAC 'has that material' but it's not converted to electronic images yet. So my statement that you 'claim' to have it is totally legitimate until you actually present it on your site.

Quite frankly, I don't understand your propensity to bite the hand that feeds you
Lame. Really lame. You imply I owe you some type of loyalty?? I don't think I do. For the longest time I used to publicly support and run the WAC promo under my sig pic, even encouraging new members to join the site. I've taken it down for personal reasons. So does this constitute "Trash" talking your site by 'omission'? I don't think so. Never once did I hear you or Bob acknowledge that support' while it was there. So it's ok to expect others to promote your site, but not ok to state facts that you perceive as negative? Sounds awfully one sided. You seem to have no problem trying to antagonize me for reactions to minuscule comments I post, which are neither defamatory or trash talk.

But maybe I do.
Yes you should. At one time I had the greatest of respect for you and that was shared in some personal emails. Let's just say that we both seem to have grown apart and share differences of opinion on 'interpretations' for many things.