General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Collector Car Insurance

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Collector Car Insurance

Hey guys, I have questions regarding collector car insurance. I reviewed several older posts, and it seems that the two most poplar insurance carriers are Grundy and Hagerty.

My question is does anyone have insurance through either of these companies? If so, do you like about them?

Do these type insurance carriers expect you to drive limited miles?

Are premiums better going through carriers like Allstate, State Farm, etc, or through carriers like Grundy and Hagerty?

Guys, give me your honest opinions. All suggestions are welcome.
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM

I've been with Grundy for years (10+) Great company. Restrictions are, stored in locked garage, no driver under 25 yrs old, No mileage restriction other than you can not use to drive to work every day. (May have to show proof that you have an every day driver)
We have dealt with them on losses at our body shop and they are good to deal with.
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:42 PM

I almost forgot this is an agreed value policy not a stated value policy. Its a good idea to get an appraisal. They won't hassle you if you have one and kept car in proper shape.
I speak from experience as I've been an appraiser for one of the worlds largest ins. companies for 31 years before retiring 10 years ago.
Plus I have an appraisal business since 1985 dealing with collector/specialty cars.
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM

Hey there, Doc!

Do you have any recommendations in either the St Louis or Memphis areas for an appraiser? Or do I just look in the Yellow pages under "Appriaser"? I remember trying to get this done a few years ago with a different car and no one could quite understand what I wanted or why.
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:00 AM

I've got Hagerty.
Seems the same as Grundy...
I love these guys. I call them, we talk about cars! They're cool folks.

Agreed value(I just told them what I thought they were worth and they agreed to the figure, no appraisal)
Locked garage, not a daily driver, over 25...

When I bought my '65 last month I wanted to add it to my policy. I called them, emailed them picts while I was on the phone, gave them the VIN, told them my plans for the car and they added the car on right then and there for an additional $37.
That brought my total for the Rallye & the f-85 to $274 for the year.
(That also includes a 300 mile free flatbed rider for EVERY car I own, including my 88 GMC)
Pete
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:04 AM

I've got Hagerty. Very easy to work with. Very nice. Recommended. Two cars, 76 Cutlass and 70 Ninety Eight. $120.00 a year.

Last edited by Pfiffle; March 5th, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM

I had Grundy when I had my 53 Lincoln. they were easy and cheap, never needed to make a claim though. I like to actually drive my cars whenever I want to where ever I want, so Marge is insured with 21st century, full coverage. All four cars with them is like 1200 a year.
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM

"rrielley", I don't know anyone personaly but check Hemmings Motor News. They usually list a number of appraisers.
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Talking

Not to hi-jack the thread, but for those interested here in Canada, I use Aviva (Elite Ins. Co.) and there Silver Wheel Plan. It sounds identical to Grundy and Haggerty. Unlimited miles, no drivers under 25, and not to be utilized as your daily driver to work. Good luck in your search Southern Hospitality.