General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1968 Cutlass S dash

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:24 PM

1968 Cutlass S dash

I tried to post under the interior forum but for some reason I am not able to. I need help with two small metal brackets that attach somehow to the dash. I am installing my dash and have 1 small metal L shape bracket 5/8" with a 1/4 screw in it, the other side of the L shape is an inch in length. The other L shape bracket is 3/4" with one hole in it and the other side of the L is 3" then bends in about a 33 degree angle and goes for another inch and a half. This side has 3 holes in it equally spaced. I think they go somewhere around the heater box but I cannot remember and my manual is not showing them. I know for a fact that they are stock items and do belong on the car. Any help with pics would be greatly appreciated. My email is toddvcarroll@hotmail.com if you want to send pics. Thanks a heap. looking forward to getting this dash finished...Todd
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:22 PM
car guy

I just pulled the dash out of my 68 442 last night. Post pics of the parts you are talking about and I will compare.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM

the second one you described is the brace for the radio. it attaches to the dash insert by the ashtray. the other one......... i can't seem to picture it.
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:58 PM

That would be great if you could help me out with where they go, if you have pics even better. I am posting pics of these two brackets now. Thanks ...Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00001.jpg (34.9 KB, 35 views)
DSC00003.jpg (71.5 KB, 38 views)
DSC00005.jpg (75.4 KB, 38 views)
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:23 PM

i have no idea where that smaller bracket goes. i have restored over a handful of 68's and i don't remember that piece being on any of the dashes. i can't picture it on the cars period.

does your car have the shift indicator in the speedo? every one i worked on was floor shift auto or stick so i'm not familiar with that. could have something to do with that.
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:41 PM

Todd,

The larger bracket is for the radio mount, part #397579. Look at Section 1-3 page 320.

edit (I see someone already answered that)

I'm still working on the smaller one, It looks like it snaps into a hole

I give up. I don't see it in the assembly manual and don't remember seeing it when I put mine together. My car's in storage so I can't even stick my head under the dash to look for it

Last edited by allyolds68; December 5th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:39 PM
car guy

I can't see anything that looks like the small bracket. My car is a 4speed non-A/C car.
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate your help. My car is a non A/C car with a column shift so the shift indicator is in the bottom center of the speedo. No worries then as the radio in the dash now is not an original so that bracket probably wont work anyway. For some reason I thought it went somewhere near or on the heater box. The dash is finally going in tomorrow ye-haaaa! I have added a tic tock tach so I'm not sure where these wires will go as my wiring harness probably wont have connections for it as it originally had a clock block out. I think the grey is either a ground or power for the instrument lights? Orange is for the tach? Dark Brown is? Anyone know? Thanks...Todd
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:27 PM

The "L" brkt seams a little big, but it some what looks like the brkt that mounts into the shift tube, on collum of which a wire attaches to it and up the the shift indicator in the bottom of the speedo. Just my guess.

Gene
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:41 PM

64Rocket you are correct. the small bracket clips on the column and a wire connects the shift indicator to the other end of the bracket. you should be able to access the whole by removing the two screws and the cover under the steering column.
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:54 PM

you guys are talking about the smaller of the two brackets correct? Would either one of you have a good picture of where it goes and what its function is? I'd really appreciate it.....Todd
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:38 AM

Brown is for the tach feed from the coil; orange is for the clock feed 12V: grey is instument lights...
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM

This is so great, thank you. The gray wire has a lot of connections coming off of it I am assuming this is to light the other two gauges, does that sound right? The Tach & Clock gets its ground through the body?
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by tcarroll
This is so great, thank you. The gray wire has a lot of connections coming off of it I am assuming this is to light the other two gauges, does that sound right? The Tach & Clock gets its ground through the body?
They get them from the body but there is a black jumper wire that goes between the gauge and the speedo pod also. Section 1-3 page 111. I thought there was one between the speedo and the tach but I can't find that now in the manual

Last edited by allyolds68; December 6th, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:25 AM

Aaah I only had 1 jumper between them as the clock was originally a block out. It looks like the tach gets grounds from the metal dash do you think I need the other jumper wire? The gray wire for lights is a 12 volt feed from the fuse box?
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:27 AM

Aaah I only had 1 jumper between them as the clock was originally a block out. It looks like the tach gets grounds from the metal dash do you think I need the other jumper wire? The gray wire for lights is a 12 volt feed from the fuse box?

I revised what I said above. I thought there were two wires but there may only be one. The 12V feed for those lights comes from the fuse box. It's fused from the main lamp switch. I've got a High Rez scan of the assembly manual wiring diagram that I can e-mail you if you want. You need a magifying glass to read the original from the Service Manual

Last edited by allyolds68; December 6th, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM

Mike that would be really helpful. My email is toddvcarroll@hotmail.com thanks for all your help. I think I may put a second ground jumper anyhow, better safe than sorry right.
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:55 AM

Mike that would be really helpful. My email is toddvcarroll@hotmail.com thanks for all your help. I think I may put a second ground jumper anyhow, better safe than sorry right.
I emailed you the wiring diagram in jpg and pdf
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Got them thank you.