General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

And yet even another new member!

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM

Cool And yet even another new member!

It is sure nice to see so many new members and their newly acquired Olds's!
I just now joined the group so I would just like to introduce myself...
My name is Rob and live around the Dallas, TX area; Plano to be exact. I am single with four cars, three 'close' family members, two motorcycles, one house, and no kids.

Any members here from Texas? Olds sightings are very uncommon around here... (
I was a member of a big Olds group 10 years ago, but when the G-body group separated and I went with them.

I still have my G-body Olds but back in September 2007, I (somewhat) fulfilled my dream of owning a 1970 442 Convertible...
Close enough anyway; she is a '72 Cutlass 442 clone convertible. There are some pictures and a short documentary at
www.flickr.com/photos/robsalbum.
I found the car on craigslist in South Carolina. After long emails with the seller and many photos later, I flew there to see her. For the price she was great. Great body - solid with nice paint and almost no dings. The 350 4BBL and 350 trans run flawlessly, except for hot starts... The AC worked then but died before getting out of the state. For the price, it was just a bonus.

I drove through the Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway as a bonus side trip - it was a blast! Afterwards it was a tough 900 mile, 13hr drive back home to TX. No regrets at all about all this - I enjoy the memories of it all...

The car acquired the nickname "Lady" early on in the trip, for reasons told in the picture story. She is a 72, and I am a 71, so we are at least a similar age... She did help me to meet some other ladies along the way, too! Two guys also wanted to buy it off of me before even getting out od SC!

I bought her as a clone and i am still trying to figure out when she was cloned. It was LONG ago according to the small details I have researched so far. She has all the appearance items, but no suspension upgrades (except air shocks)... The rust in the W-29 hood is the same as elsewhere. There seems to have been no screws in the screw locations for the Cutlass style grilles... There was no trunk RPO decal (or any decals), as I think the trunk lid was replaced at some time. (There is evidence she was bumped from the back.) This is only one mystery out of several about this car...

So far I am about 1/3 done with the restoration, more like perfection-izing as there are no major issues with her (except door mechanisms).
I have learned a lot so far and I hope to share my technical experiences with (and learn even more from) this big group of Olds-lovers.

I am keeping a detailed journal and taking lots of pictures of the resto process that I hope to post on the web sometime.
I also made up a journal of my adventurous trip of driving her back home. I enjoy writing in my spare time also.
Anyway, Just wanted to pass on my greetings from TX and I will see y'all around on the list!
Drive safely,
-Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
442clone12.jpg (70.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg
442clone2.jpg (91.2 KB, 19 views)
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:21 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site, you have a nice looking convertible there and the color combination is very nice, almost understated. I think I really like the fawn colored interior.
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM

:drool:
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
same but different

Welcome! Lady is a nice ride Sounds like you have enjoyed her from day one.

The RPO decal did not exist then, it showed up many?? years later. What you might like to find is what we call a build sheet. It could be anywhere in the car....or not. Some folks find them in the seat cushions, on top of the gas tank and who knows where. They are supposed to be in the trash can when they left the factory, but many oldmobiles have them.

The build sheet will tell you how the car was equipped when it left the factory. I found mine behind the driver side A-piller trim. Arlingtion TX built she is.... Good luck

Last edited by don71; February 21st, 2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: ad photo
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM

Welcome to the site! Nice car!

I'm not around Texas anymore. (Got too hot for me!) But I worked south of Dallas in Ennis for 18 years. And lived around that area. I sure miss the night life!

Don
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:14 PM

Nice to meet you all so far...

Don, thanks! Yes, it is too hot for me here and I still have dreams to live on the coast in OR, where you are too near!
I visit there often and love the scenery and the weather. I hope to make a month long driving trip of it some day, with Lady of course! From TX to LA, up to Washington, over to Montana, back down to CO............. ah, dreams...

Don71, Thanks for the tip... Eventually every interior cavity will be explored and hopefully i will find that sheet. The original carpet seems to be under the current carpet and i am hoping it is there. The back seat was pulled already some time ago but I am hoping it was left alone... You were lucky to find yours and have it readable!
My 86 came from Arlington and my 72 came from Lansing according to the VINs. The lady who did my title xfer for Lady freaked out as her pop worked the Lansing Olds assembly line in the late 60s. She sent me a couple b&w photos of some '68s being built and the building itself. What a sweetie for a government worker!
Lady has been much fun... The worst thing she did to me was to throw the A/C belt on a full throttle freeway entrance in the middle of nowhere in NC. It was a cheap cogged belt and it was stretched from the A/C failing. The belt was shredded but no other damage. It sounded like a blown engine to me then! O Talk about a sinking feeling...

Oldsguy, thanks... The color combo is what made me drool also! The previous owner chose the buckskin top instead of the stock white and it really complements the dark saddle interior. The sun on it in that picture made her shine like gold... It is one of my favorite pictures of her and I admit, it helped make the sale...

I plan to get her out this weekend and enjoy our predicted 70 degree days!

-Rob
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:14 AM

Congrats with a nice Olds.

Early 70's Cutlass are great looking cars.

I have been in many states, but never been too Texas.

But this summer I will go on vacation there with my family.

We will drive a round trip ,NJ-TX-NJ.

Next year I am planning to buy me some cheap property or a "handyman special", in the area from Dallas to Austin.

As I live i North Norway, and is sick retired, I want to stay "over there" a couple of months twice a year.

Keep us updated with the progress on your Olds.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM

Welcome to the website. That is an awsome car. I live in Lawton, OK. My wife and I go to church every Sunday in Wichita Falls, TX.
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:11 AM

Olds64- that sure is a long drive to go to church every Sunday! But in your Olds it is enjoyable, right? I may head up to Broken Bow this spring...
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:16 AM

That is a lovely Olds Conv. We are in need of more Oldsmobiles here in England. It would look nice on our country roads. Of course you would need the top up most of the time, and the heater will get lot of use. Andy----forgot the welcome.