General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Convertible Top under or on top of frame?

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Convertible Top under or on top of frame?

On my 66 98 convertible, the top is sitting tight to the top of the frame. Should the tension wire cables hold the edges on the under side of the frame or just tight to the top?

Did my top shrink?

Thanks
Cf
Old June 30th, 2012, 05:44 AM

Usually when these tops are new, the material sits down on the sides and you don't really notice the frame rails. The material shrinks as time goes by, and you see the frame rails, the corners by the window can start to split. If you have a plastic rear window, pretty soon you can't se through it any more. Actually, I had a 66 98 rag years ago. It was a huge adventure (excuse the pun). Wish I still had it. It was unbelievably nice to drive on the highway. I gave my daughter a blown up picture of us in it, years ago, but she had a scowly face. Of all the hundreds of cars I've had, she only liked one, that was my 70 GTO convert. Once I sold that, after a 13 year stint, she's disliked any of my old cars, even Oldsmobiles !!
Sorry, I digress. The material on my 64 Skylark rag is shrunk so tight that when it rains, the rails fill up with water. That's my next project after I finish with my 442. Tops are pretty expensive, so I try to make them last as long as possible. You should see how fast they shrink if you cheap out and don't use the side cables !! I've done it, and don't recommend it.
Good luck, Dave
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:08 AM
2 '66 98's

My '66 98 still has the original factory top material on it. Obviously, it has shrunken a bit but the tension cables still hold the edge of the top about 1/3 of the way down the frame rails so that no rain water gets in. I always wanted to keep it original as long as I could but the material is failing in some places, especially along the bow just above the back window. I have already spoken to my upholstery guy about bringing it over for an estimate in another couple of months. I will have everything done - well liner, etc. as well as new tension cables. I'm not sure what I will do about the boot. The original is in fair condition with some problems along the fastener locations.
Old June 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM

66 Olds 98 Rag

Car was a little rough. I pulled it out of a barn in the nineties. Put a 69 Olds 455 in it, 68 Olds 98 convert interior (which meant changing interior door handles) and top, 71 Olds 98 rims and hubcaps. Thought you guys might get a laugh out of this one. I'm not always a perfectionist !!
(Almost never, really)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1966 Oldsmobile 98.jpg (86.7 KB, 9 views)