General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Eddie's Info

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2012, 06:18 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Eddie's Info

336679mXXXXXX

Tag
69 33667 lan154129
934. 57p
10d

VIN
3 = Oldsmobile
36 = Cutlass V8
67 = Convertible
9 = 1969
M = Lansing, Mich Assembly Plant
Last Six Digits = Serial Number

Cowl Tag
69 = 1969
3 = Oldsmobile
36 = Cutlass V8
67 = Convertible
LAN = Lansing, Mich Assembly Plant
154129 = Fisher Body Unit Number (No relation to VIN)
934 = Gold themed interior with bucket seats
57 = Glade Green
P = ? You may be mistaken as it seems there is only A,B,C, and H as Top colors

10D = 4th week of October 1968 build month code

Last edited by GAOldsman; May 30th, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:36 PM

whoops

It was d not p thank you very much I do think there had to be more than 18 of these cars with 4 speeds though :-) was the d code gold by any chance?
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:08 PM
"Car"mudgeon

My bad there is four colors for the convertible tops.
A = white
B = black
C = blue
H = gold
The vinyl tops on the hardtops go like this
A = white
B = black
C = blue
E = parchment
F = brown
G = green
H = gold
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
It was d not p thank you very much I do think there had to be more than 18 of these cars with 4 speeds though :-) was the d code gold by any chance?
Are you sure? I think you had it right the first time. According to the 69 Assembly Manual, the convertible top with code P is Gold. H is not listed as a vert color choice for 69.
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:03 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Allan I got my info from here and another source book I have says the same thing as mentioned above, but your right the ASM does say P = Gold top. Hmmm so much misinformation out there
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Allan I got my info from here and another source book I have says the same thing as mentioned above, but your right the ASM does say P = Gold top. Hmmm so much misinformation out there
Scot, no worries. I ran into that same issue at 442bro.com so I sent 'bro' an email asking why they listed black tops as code 1 instead of code 2 like all the GM lit does. After about 3 weeks of back and forth him saying 'this isn't over, blah blah blah' he sends me a final email saying that his 'trusted source' agrees the color posted on his web page is wrong and the GM stuff is right. He has not changed his web page to reflect that. On the flip side, he has sooooo much other valuable and accurate info about 65 442's it would make your head spin with delight if you were a 65 owner.

In the case of Eddies car, there's some discrepancy with what Eddie posted too about d instead of p, cause there is no D in the 65 Assembly manual for vert tops. That's why I was confused. Great initial decode BTW.
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:07 AM

well I am not sure my handwritting was/is a little chikenscratch looking I would have said it's a p, but the only other letter it could have been was a d I will check again at the source, but a gold top makes sense

by the way is there an online way to check the vehicle history? I know I bought this car in westchester NY would be great to see if the original owner or family is still around to answer WHY he didn't order it with a 4BBl LOL
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:08 AM

ohhhhhhhhhhh

and Thank You Both Very Much!
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:13 AM

Why not go to the source?

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-h...2_Info_Kit.pdf
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:14 AM

one more thing you said October of 1968? so it is an early car? or did you mean 1969 ? just thinking if it was late 69 then those extra supports for the differential may have been put on as they came on 70's?????

this thread refers
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...me-braces.html
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:21 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Diego
Very cool link. It shows the code I was questioning. The info there is a compilation of the the SPECS and AM I referenced when I was looking up this info.
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:39 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
one more thing you said October of 1968? so it is an early car? or did you mean 1969 ?
The new model year usually starts in August of previous year and usually ends in July of the current model year. So in your case it is a late October 1968 build as far as the Fisher plant tag says and would have probably been on the Lansing assembly line within the week or a bit later for final assembly. So based on that I'd say it was delivered to the dealership around mid November or early December 1968 at the latest.
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:54 AM

ok understand :-) thanks for your help scot
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:15 AM
"Car"mudgeon

No problem Eddie and to answer the question of it being an early car then yes and no. It's kind of late 1st "quarter" of production early 2nd "quarter" of production. None the less it has three pedals and in my book it is very desirable no matter when in the model year it was built
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:12 AM

Scot, this was my daily driver till I pulled it in the garage after building my wife a 72 buick skylark ( 350 4 bbl, turbo 400, duals and a posi rear) That was my uncles car. the olds was an absolute blast to drive, and I have to say was no slouch. I have now been restoring her slowly but surely, I lost 10 years when I was working "in the field" for work. But moving ahead I have rebuilt the diff, I have had a 455 built for her, and I have had the 4 speed gone through and rebuilt, she has been converted to 4 wheel disc, the front suspension is done, chasis is done, all lines have been replaced with stainless including the flex lines to the disks and even the e cables all the way to the pedal are now stainless. I have new springs through out and am just finishing the underside before dropping the body back on the frame to do the quarter panels... then I will put the motor and tranny in , and hopefully get the motor running in the car before long.... it is a long long road...

Again thanks for all your help.
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:38 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Sweet! I just took a look at your albums looks like you've done a great deal of work Got any recent pics? Keep up the good work.

Scot
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:52 AM

i posted the very latest in the thread https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nvertible.html

I will be under the body again today will take some more pics :-) I think what happens is time and technology get away from us when I started I figured I would fix a little rot do the suspension, drop in a motor and spray her in lacquer lol then I found this forum and you want to do the best possible job, the dreaded MAW
Beast rears its ugly head and well here we are :-) anyway with encouragement from everyone here I am working away getting to that next milemarker :-)