General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Why do modern power brakes and PS suck?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2012, 10:05 PM

Why do modern power brakes and PS suck?

In my younger days I had a 67 Dodge Polara, 63 Caddie SDV, and a 1971 Ninety Eight with PS and PB. I had forgotten how nice real power steering and brakes were until I got my 1970 98 last July. Does anyone know when/why manufacturers went to "power assist"? I also had a 1975 Delta 88 and I seem to remember the steering was easy, but I don't remember having to use my little toe to brake that car like the others. I use the little toe side of my foot to brake real power brakes to avoid going through the windshield. Were real power brakes deemed dangerous if someone wasn't used to them? Was real power steering deemed dangerous since there was no road feedback? Was this a government mandate? Was it something we did to imitate Japanese and European cars? Am I just a bitter old guy?
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:50 AM

The true ps was bad as it was very easy to over steer. The true power brakes locked up bad on wet pavement. What they use today is much safer. Just get a frount wheel blowout on a car with true power steering and you will see that it had to be stiffened up a bit.
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Last98
In my younger days I had a 67 Dodge Polara, 63 Caddie SDV, and a 1971 Ninety Eight with PS and PB. I had forgotten how nice real power steering and brakes were until I got my 1970 98 last July. Does anyone know when/why manufacturers went to "power assist"? I also had a 1975 Delta 88 and I seem to remember the steering was easy, but I don't remember having to use my little toe to brake that car like the others. I use the little toe side of my foot to brake real power brakes to avoid going through the windshield. Were real power brakes deemed dangerous if someone wasn't used to them? Was real power steering deemed dangerous since there was no road feedback? Was this a government mandate? Was it something we did to imitate Japanese and European cars? Am I just a bitter old guy?
Yes. lol
Old May 12th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Last98
Am I just a bitter old guy?
Yes.

I never liked the old P/S and P/B myself.

No road feel, and, as you say, you get tired of getting so close to the windshield every time you just wanted to slow down a little.

I have had a few cars with touchy power brakes, such as a '63 T-bird, and an '81 Chrysler Town & Country, but most others, including '70 Chevelle, '70 Monte, and '70 Cutlass, had very reasonable brakes.

The old power steering was fine when I was used to it, but geting into one of those cars today feels like steering a boat. That's why many people (including me) have changed our steering boxes to different units. The boxes from late-'80s Monte Carlos and Grand Nationals were popular for a while, but now the most common is one from the '92-'98 (if I recall) Grand Cherokee, which has a much tighter ratio, requires more effort, and gives you more road feel.
Changed my '71 Delta from a boat to a car overnight.

- Eric
Old May 12th, 2012, 06:12 AM

Seems like people nowdays all like / want stiff steering. I admit it is great on the highway but when parking, I would like more assist. My lady friend's 2005 kia suv (with PS) steers as hard as my 78 Pinto with manual steering!
With the new ABS they have, you would think braking on new cars would feel better. I once had to do a panic stop with my Caddy and I was in a panic it would NOT stop!
I drove a rental altima 3-4 years ago and its brakes were very grabby at first, but after that, they were no better than anything else. Maybe that 'grab' would cause people to not push them enough in a panic??
Good question...

Another related question is why cant cars drive as smooth as they once did back in the day and still handle safely. Even the new caddies ride rough to me. They are supposed to ride luxuriously, but seems everyone wants 'sport' in everything.
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM

I am sorry but 1 finger steering is to easy to over do. I love the smooth ride of the older cars but Its harder to fall a sleep at the wheel in the new ones.
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:45 PM

So does anyone have first hand experience changing to a late model steering box, which exact one would I look for on a 65 Cutlass to add some feel to the steering??
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jag1886
So does anyone have first hand experience changing to a late model steering box...
I do.

Originally Posted by jag1886
... which exact one would I look for on a 65 Cutlass to add some feel to the steering??
Read up here.

Also here and here.

Sorry, I never got around to writing it up myself, but I think all you need should be in these pages.

- Eric
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Another related question is why cant cars drive as smooth as they once did back in the day and still handle safely. Even the new caddies ride rough to me. They are supposed to ride luxuriously, but seems everyone wants 'sport' in everything.

=Nürburgring
Old May 13th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I do.

Read up here.

Also here and here.

Sorry, I never got around to writing it up myself, but I think all you need should be in these pages.

- Eric
Thank You
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:38 PM

I am getting grumpy about new cars. YOU HAD TO BE A DRIVER BACK THEN!!!
A rear wheel drive, fishtailing, high horsepower car on bias tires and drum brakes had to be driven with skill and some brains.
What a load of crap that now they have park assist for those that can't even paralell park.
(I might not be able to spell it, but at least I can park my own car)
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Registered Loser

I side with the original poster....never have I had an issue with overly touchy brakes or over-assisted power steering. I'll never understand why people buy large old cars & feel the need to install fast-ratio power steering boxes & "modernize" everything but to each his own.

One of the many reasons I like driving old cars is because of the one-finger steering and the "throw you through the windshield" brakes. I'm not the most experienced driver by any means but never have I ever had (or caused) a collision because of so-called "unsafe brakes" or "unsafe steering" and I've collectively put hundreds of thousands of miles on many old cars.

Now we have backup cameras, crash avoidance stuff, self-parking stuff. Let's build cars that monkeys can drive.. If one cannot make it safely from point A to point B without all this junk, maybe he or she needs to learn how to drive. What a concept! I think these "safety features" dumb down some of the driving populace. It enables fools to tailgate and speed, especially in inclement weather.

Last edited by junqueboi; May 14th, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:22 AM

Amen
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by junqueboi
I'll never understand why people buy large old cars & feel the need to install fast-ratio power steering boxes & "modernize" everything but to each his own.
'Cause I like it better.

Same reason people put huge engines in their cars, or swap out automatic transmissions for manuals
It's a bolt on change, and could be undone by a future owner, if there ever is one.

I made the changes because of my driving style -
My grandfather used to float along the road at exactly the speed limit, making the slowest, most leisurely turns possible.
I, on the other hand, drive like a total jerk. The suspension configuration of these older full-size cars makes it very hard to drive the way I like to, as they tend to roll like a sick hangover in turns, so I gave it a closer ratio gear box, a heavy front swaybar (waiting to install the rear), and a set of Bilstein shocks.

It handles better now.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; May 14th, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:27 AM
70 Cutlass SX

I understand "bitter old guy" - that feel is part of the draw of the older car for me - almost like driving in a trance.
But I also understand Eric - I also like to get fully engaged and be part of the car/road action; I love German sport suspensions for example and driving on a road track.
For me it depends on my mood.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:39 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Check these before and after tubes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb80N...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff_n1...feature=relmfu
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I, on the other hand, drive like a total jerk.
Dude I about fell on the floor when I read that!!!!
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:13 PM
delete

I put on a quicker ratio stock style steering box. Dollar for dollar the best money I ever spent on the car IMO. I love me car but couldn't stand the on ceneter slop the steering had.