General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

66 Tri Power information needed

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:04 AM

66 Tri Power information needed

Could some of the 66 experts tell me what is correct, incorrect, or missing on my tri power. I was told by the seller that the center carb was not correct. All three carbs have the correct aluminum tags. What does it need to be complete?

Don W
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Drivers side view resize.jpg (184.9 KB, 101 views)
Passenger side resize.jpg (164.4 KB, 96 views)
Rear top view resize.jpg (157.8 KB, 95 views)
Top view front resize.jpg (173.1 KB, 92 views)
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:01 AM

1) Missing accelerator pump linkage on front carb
2) Missing secondary rod linkage between front carb and rear carb on passenger side
3) The center carb is close but varies from mine. Bowl vent tube in venturi and the metal vent cover? on the accelerator pump bulge.

He did say the center carb wasn't original so at least he sounds honest. Other than what I stated it looks nice and I know many vendors sell these parts to complete it.
Attached Images
Carbs 012.jpg (148.1 KB, 46 views)
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Trying to remember member

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and a home page for you online with your own garage where you can show off what you have.
Free to join, free to learn.
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:25 AM

The carbs all look correct to me except for the missing linkage parts.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; April 26th, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and a home page for you online with your own garage where you can show off what you have.
Free to join, free to learn.
I really don't understand why guys are not tripping all over each other joining WAC. It's free people,yes that's right,FREE. It's full of info,articles etc. I go there to look @ the PIM & assembly manuals rather than get mine out. Did I say it's free? if I didn't,it is.
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
I really don't understand why guys are not tripping all over each other joining WAC. It's free people,yes that's right,FREE. It's full of info,articles etc. I go there to look @ the PIM & assembly manuals rather than get mine out. Did I say it's free? if I didn't,it is.
I started to sign up, but the amount of info that was required seemed out of line. Anytime I go to a website and have to fill out a lengthy 'application' I usually get second thoughts.
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by okie88
I started to sign up, but the amount of info that was required seemed out of line. Anytime I go to a website and have to fill out a lengthy 'application' I usually get second thoughts.
The info asked for is not at all out of line. There is nothing asked for that puts you at any risk whatsoever. There are steps to protect the site from scammers and abuse. But most of the information is to help us be able to customize and build the site to get the most bang for the buck.
And considering it is no cost to members, it is truly a small amount of cooperation asked for considering what members can get out of it.

For example: We ask what make is your primary interest. Using that info, your dashboard page is customized for that make. If you register "Oldsmobile", your dashboard will have Oldsmobile links.
We also ask where you found us. Helps us understand where members come from so we can better determine where to make our presence known. This is all Customer Service, not invasion of privacy. We have more to fear from you than you have from us!
Old April 29th, 2012, 10:11 PM

So are the carbs exclusive to this set up or do they interchange with Pontiac or ?? What is the best way to identify the carbs?

Don W
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:02 AM

It depends on what year Pontiac it is. The 66 Pontiac has the larger center carb like the Olds,previous years had the smaller center carb. The end carbs are the same and the only difference between a 66 Olds & a 66 Pontiac center carb is,the Pontiac doesn't have the vacuum port/fitting in the bowl for the vacuum advance. Pontiac gets the vacuum advance source from a hollow stud on one of the carbs. The center carb pictured is an Olds,it has the vacuum advance fitting/port. One of the Pontiac end carbs does not have the base drilled for a vacuum fitting,the Olds has fittings in both end carbs. The Olds has completely different linkage and fuel lines. So basically they are the same except for the noted differences. I have already said the carbs are correct on the unit pictured sans the missing parts noted by Trip Deuces. The long oil filler tube,fuel filter assembly-mounting bracket & clamp are missing. The 66 Olds 3 X 2 uses a special bellcrank for the firewall throttle mechanism which is available from me. The throttle rod is also different from a 4 barrel to a 3 X 2 but is being repo'd as we speak. The correct fuel lines/fittings are also available from a couple of vendors. The correct air cleaners are also available repo. The hard parts are there,the carbs and intake,the rest is only $$$$$$$.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; April 30th, 2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the detailed answer!

Don W
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
It depends on what year Pontiac it is. The 66 Pontiac has the larger center carb like the Olds,previous years had the smaller center carb. The end carbs are the same and the only difference between a 66 Olds & a 66 Pontiac center carb is,the Pontiac doesn't have the vacuum port/fitting in the bowl for the vacuum advance. Pontiac gets the vacuum advance source from a hollow stud on one of the carbs. The center carb pictured is an Olds,it has the vacuum advance fitting/port. One of the Pontiac end carbs does not have the base drilled for a vacuum fitting,the Olds has fittings in both end carbs. The Olds has completely different linkage and fuel lines. So basically they are the same except for the noted differences. I have already said the carbs are correct on the unit pictured sans the missing parts noted by Trip Deuces. The long oil filler tube,fuel filter assembly-mounting bracket & clamp are missing. The 66 Olds 3 X 2 uses a special bellcrank for the firewall throttle mechanism which is available from me. The throttle rod is also different from a 4 barrel to a 3 X 2 but is being repo'd as we speak. The correct fuel lines/fittings are also available from a couple of vendors. The correct air cleaners are also available repo. The hard parts are there,the carbs and intake,the rest is only $$$$$$$.
Hi there, is the repopped throttle rod available?
Old November 25th, 2021, 03:55 PM

nice info