General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Pics of my wreck I didn't know existed...

Old April 25th, 2012, 09:35 AM
1971 Cutlass S

Pics of my wreck I didn't know existed...

I was over at a friends the other day, and we where going through some old albums he had from when we where much younger. One of the albums was all of the cars that he and I and some of our other friends owned in the days of our youth. I turned one page and saw the two photos below of my 1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I didn't know anyone had pictures of the car after I wrecked it, but boy did it bring back some HORRIBLE memories. My dad bought the car new in 72 and sold it to me in 79 when I graduated from high school. I drove the car for a few years and absolutely loved it. In March of '81 I was out with my girl, and two friends at a local bar, and had about 12 too many - we left the bar and where headed home about 3:00 AM. As i was completely plowed, I was driving too fast and you can see the results below.
I know and the people in the car agree we where over 100MPH going around a curve I had taken many times at those speeds, but this night there was black ice on the road I didn't see, and as we went around the curve the rear went out from under me and we hit a MASSIVE old Oak tree on the corner dead center of the front bumper. I received over 100 stitches in my face and head, my girl smashed the windshield with her face (was fine though - mild concussion), and the two guys in the back basically walked away unscathed.

I did learn my lesson that night though - I have not touched a drop of alcohol since that night in '81, so this accident may have actually saved me. We where lucky, my car not so much. We where all amazed at the amount of damage to the car when we saw it the next day, and that anyone walked away.

Not to get preachy but - Don't drink and drive people - see what can happen - and it could have been much worse..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
72CS-Crashed1.jpg (50.7 KB, 273 views)
72CS-Crashed2.jpg (47.0 KB, 260 views)
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:33 AM
NOVICE car nut

Wow you are lucky ! I had a similiar incident in a 78 Regal about 20yrs ago . I was drinking that night and hit a curb sideways going around a corner fast , and took out a sign and scraped a tree . The front rim was folded over , upper aframe was bent bad , spring was broke , frame bent , header panel , bumper , and passenger fender was toast ... after it happened I sat there as the neighbors all came out of their houses and stood around . I figured wth and put the car in gear and tried to move it , and the back tire just spun ... so i got it rocking like you would when you would be stuck in the mud or snow . The car slowly started moving down the street , back tire screaching and leaving a black mark on the ground as I slowly inched my way down the street draging the front tire as I go ... after a couple of blocks I reached my friends house ( no cops insight but a black tire mark leading from the scene to here ) I dropped him off and proceeded to get the jack out of the trunk and change the folded rim with the donut I had in the trunk . I quickly threw the stuff in the trunk and drove home . I got real lucky that neither of us were hurt and was even more surprised that not one of those neighbors that came outside called the police or took my license # down . The next day I went back to the scene in my dads car and noticed part of my header panel was laying in the front yard where this happened , so I went up in this persons yard ( while they were cutting the grass ) and collected my car parts and left . I never heard anything about it , but my car was in critical condition .

Last edited by oldsguybry; April 25th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldsManNJ
I was over at a friends the other day, and we where going through some old albums he had from when we where much younger. One of the albums was all of the cars that he and I and some of our other friends owned in the days of our youth. I turned one page and saw the two photos below of my 1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I didn't know anyone had pictures of the car after I wrecked it, but boy did it bring back some HORRIBLE memories. My dad bought the car new in 72 and sold it to me in 79 when I graduated from high school. I drove the car for a few years and absolutely loved it. In March of '81 I was out with my girl, and two friends at a local bar, and had about 12 too many - we left the bar and where headed home about 3:00 AM. As i was completely plowed, I was driving too fast and you can see the results below.
I know and the people in the car agree we where over 100MPH going around a curve I had taken many times at those speeds, but this night there was black ice on the road I didn't see, and as we went around the curve the rear went out from under me and we hit a MASSIVE old Oak tree on the corner dead center of the front bumper. I received over 100 stitches in my face and head, my girl smashed the windshield with her face (was fine though - mild concussion), and the two guys in the back basically walked away unscathed.

I did learn my lesson that night though - I have not touched a drop of alcohol since that night in '81, so this accident may have actually saved me. We where lucky, my car not so much. We where all amazed at the amount of damage to the car when we saw it the next day, and that anyone walked away.

Not to get preachy but - Don't drink and drive people - see what can happen - and it could have been much worse..
Glad you weren't hurt. Sometimes pictures do bring back bad memories, which turn into good results.
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by OldsManNJ
I don't see how anyone could be offended by you sharing this. Glad you survived to tell the tale. Amazing what kinds of things sober us isn't it? Thank you for your story and message.
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:58 PM

10 years ago i was rearended by a drunk driver at 60 mph while sitting at a stop light on my way home from work at 3 in the morning.it cost me a year of rehab and 2 opperations but i was compensated for it very well.when we went to court,i knew he was sorry for what had happened.we became good friends and still are.neather one of us drink anymore.im glad you and everyone else is ok.great story,thanks for shareing.
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:46 PM

Wet pavement, first car with posi, add alcohol. First pic, May 1982, other two, Sept. 1982.
Attached Images
'73 L82 1982 001.jpg (52.0 KB, 70 views)
001.jpg (57.1 KB, 75 views)
002.jpg (69.2 KB, 78 views)
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Wet pavement, first car with posi, add alcohol. First pic, May 1982, other two, Sept. 1982.
How did that roof top work? Pretty cool to have t-top or hard top optional anytime.
Does the whole thing slide off?
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM

Although I have put a few cars in the ditch in my youth I was never in anything quite like some of these pics. After graduation I parked my VW Bug on the front lawn after coming home from a graduation party. My Dad had a friend who was a volunteer fireman. I spent a Saturday night with him and was there for two bad wrecks. One was a fatality. It was a 21 year college student who drove into the back of a semi on the highway. Found out later he was way over the limit. After that I never drank if I was driving. I still love my beer but not if I'm driving. Thanks Dad.....
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:53 AM
L69

Wow, you guys were lucky to walk away from that crash.
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:59 AM

How did that roof top work? Pretty cool to have t-top or hard top optional anytime.
Does the whole thing slide off?
There are two panels on the t tops, which just pop in from each side, and are sealed with weather seals and clamped from the inside.
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:27 AM

yea, been there done that got the t-shirt. same problem, pepermint schnops, late night, oh and someone put a concrete power poll on the shoulder of the road in my way. AA has nothing on cars and solid roadside objects. I quite drinking after that as well. I still have the car, 70 Cutlass SX convt. I was too stubborn to give up on it so new frame and front sheetmetal and it is still out in the garage 25 years later. I dont think anyone should be bothered, sometimes you have to smack folks in the head to get them to open thier eyes, or least that was the way with me back then.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:48 PM

Sure glad you came out of it alright! I've never wrecked a car. Worst accident I was ever in was where a guy hit me (while I was stopped) and I hit the car in front. No body damage just the bumpers - guy in front had a trailor hitch.

I don't drink either. Never cared for the taste. Absolutely hate beer. I rebelled against my friends. The more they would push me to have a drink, the harder I would push back. They finally accepted it.

So, I'm really popular around the holidays as you might guess...a perpetual designated driver. When I was a kid I would rather save my money (from bagging groceries) to buy gas, car parts and accessories than beer or cigarettes. I never smoked either. I would have been a priest, but I like my Sundays off.