General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

POA Valve Inspection

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

POA Valve Inspection

Putting an original AC system in my 71 442 that I am restoring. Have the original POA valve . Have seen here where Classic Auto Air cleans and checks these to be sure of proper working condition. Should I do this? Also anything else you guys would reccommend. Have new compressor, condenser and dryer. The Harrison evaporator is fine. Guess new hoses would be in order as well. One more thing-I'm confused about this muffler thing. See it in some pictures and others I don't. That's it for tonightThanks again-
Al

Last edited by Al Graaf; April 6th, 2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: late night spelling error
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:32 PM

You can have the POA valve rebuilt, but if you are going to run R134 in the car I would suggest a replacement valve that converts the system to a clutch cycling system. As far as the muffler, you do not really need it, but if you keep it it just needs to be flushed out and maybe the hoses on it replaced if you are going to replace the other hoses. New hoses will be required if you switch to R134, as it needs the newer "Barrier" hoses. The muffler was used in the higher car lines to reduce vibration in the car coming from the compressed freon going into the condenser.
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by 67442HT
You can have the POA valve rebuilt, but if you are going to run R134 in the car I would suggest a replacement valve that converts the system to a clutch cycling system. As far as the muffler, you do not really need it, but if you keep it it just needs to be flushed out and maybe the hoses on it replaced if you are going to replace the other hoses. New hoses will be required if you switch to R134, as it needs the newer "Barrier" hoses. The muffler was used in the higher car lines to reduce vibration in the car coming from the compressed freon going into the condenser.
Was gong to stay old school. I currently don't have the muffler so I guess you answered my question there. I was concerned where the system has been open for some time if the POA needed service. (Insurance) Any suggestions on where to get replacement hoses? Thank you for the information-more to file away in my head!