General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I switched a non tilt to a tilt column need help

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2012, 07:15 AM

I switched a non tilt to a tilt column need help

The harness coming down the column is different thats the harness that has 10 wires on it.Anybody knows the conversion for the colors from non tilt to a tilt thanks
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:07 AM

When the guy comes along that is smart enough to answer that question he's going to want to know what car you're working on and what car the tilt column came out of. I wasn't aware that the tilt column used a different turn signal switch from a non tilt column.

You're going to need a wiring diagram for both cars and trace what color wire goes where. Or you can pull the steering wheels, get down to the turn signal switches and do a stare and compare.

If the harness has a straight connector it will likely pull up through the column when turned sideways and it might be easier to just swap and reuse your original switch.

If the harness has the curved connector it won't slide up through the column. When you buy a new replacement switch it comes with the wires loose and an empty connector. You cut the old connector with enough pigtail for a color guide. After fishing the wires down through the column you then plug them into the new connector using the old one as a guide.

They make a nifty tool to release the tabs on the wire terminal from the plastic connector without trashing the terminal. I had one once in a previous life.
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:57 AM

[QUOTE=Highwayman;361619]When the guy comes along that is smart enough to answer that question he's going to want to know what car you're working on and what car the tilt column came out of. I wasn't aware that the tilt column used a different turn signal switch from a non tilt column.

I only have knowledge on the 65-66 A bodies, may also apply to 64. The tilt column these years do indeed require a jumper/conversion/extension, whatever, harness. The actual switch is down low on the column and is actuated by a cable coming from the lever up by the wheel. As you said, the year car he is working on would be helpful in getting good information.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by ELECMAN
The harness coming down the column is different thats the harness that has 10 wires on it.Anybody knows the conversion for the colors from non tilt to a tilt thanks
If you're asking this question, it means you put a column from one type of car into a different type of car.
Columns from the same type of car (say, '70 to '72 A-bodies) have the same column plug, and just plug in. Mike points out that on early cars there were differences, but by the time your car was born, those differences had been eliminated.

As HighwayMan said, you need to know what the column came out of and what the column is going into, then you need the wiring diagrams from both cars, and you need to figure out what goes where.

- Eric

edit: Did one of the cars have "cornering lights," while the other one didn't?
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:33 AM
Oldsdruid

A-bodies never had cornering lamps, and I'm guessing he's got that 72 in his avatar pic. Even so there are only a couple of gray wires and a black one for the cornering lamps and they are in a "kinda/sorta separate" section of the connector.

There should be no difference in the "harmonica" plug from 69 on into the mid 70s, even if the tilt column came from another same/similar year car. A general rule is all 69-72 GM A-bodies use the same steering columns, tilt or non-tilt, and should be a simple bolt-in swap to change one for the other.

Now, if you're talking about the ignition switch connector, the ignition switch plugs are the same. you just have to rotate it 180 degrees between tilt and non-tilt columns.

Tell us what cars are involved.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rocketraider
A-bodies never had cornering lamps...
Assuming he used a column from an A-body (yes I know others shouldn't fit...).

there are only a couple of gray wires and a black one for the cornering lamps and they are in a "kinda/sorta separate" section of the connector.
Which you and I both know would be enough to completely befuddle some people.

There should be no difference in the "harmonica" plug from 69 on into the mid 70s...
I would entirely agree, but will admit I've never made a study of it, so could not speak with any authority

- Eric
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:53 AM

Sorry if I asked the wong question forgive me.I have a 72 cutlass and converting to a tilt steering The column might have been to a different car its for an a-body car.the turn signal cam harness was different then my cutlass harness had to reuse my old plastic harness which has the ten wires in it .everything is working fine now.
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay, but what was the new column from?

As Rocketraider said, if it was from a '69 to '72 A-body (from any division - Chevelle, LeMans, Cutlass, or Skylark), of any body style, 2-door, 4-door, wagon, or convertible, it should have plugged right in.

What did you get the new column out of, and how did you make it fit?

... And how does it look?

- Eric
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
As Rocketraider said, if it was from a '69 to '72 A-body (from any division - Chevelle, LeMans, Cutlass, or Skylark), of any body style, 2-door, 4-door, wagon, or convertible, it should have plugged right in.

- Eric
I dont know if your advice is speaking from authority or not.

When I bought my Delco turn signal switch for my A-Body it came with an adapter. I believe that adapter allowed the switch to be used with two different harness'. Whether that adapter was for A-bodies or not i dont know but for sure the switch was designed to plug into two different harness'.
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM

Yes you are right Boldmobile just put one in my 69 out of a 76 442 had to change the turn signal switch it came with adapter the right parts to do it.

Last edited by michael hilsabeck; January 21st, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

My car is a 72 Cutlass S and I'm also converting to tilt from fixed column. I have the reconditioned tilt column sitting in the car waiting to be installed. Do you need pics of the lower connector area? When I bought the column I was specific in my question to the seller about whether it was a direct replacement. He said YES. Further stated that all A body columns from 68-72 are interchangeable. Now you've got me wondering if mine is going to be plug and play too. I was going to bring it in next week anyway to install the Cruise wiring/stalk and tilt stalk.
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:03 PM

You may have the correct column, but 68 doesn't fit 69-72, the key was on the dash in 68 and on the column 69-72. So the guy gave you some incorrect info. Hope it works out.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:20 AM

I'll get you pics on monday.I purchased the column on e-bay about 1 year ago the column was rebuilt its not an after market column ,the seller said that it fits 69-72 a-body cars.Brought the car to my freind thats a mechanic.the key clylinder rod switch on a tilt is reversed then on a non tilt the switch works backwords on a tilt.The only thing you have to do is turn the harness's reversed and plugs right in no cutting wires meaning the ignation switch the neutral safety switch plugs right in.The problem I was having was the 10 pin harness from the car didn't plug into the tilt harness.So what i did was took the plastic 10 pin harness off my old non tilt column removed the wires one at a time using a tech screwdriver which is a very small screwdriver marked my wires down on a paper.Then removed the wires out of the tilt column 10 pin harness.reused my old non tilt plastic 10 pin harness which was black then plugged the tilt column wires into it.Everything works fine.

Last edited by ELECMAN; January 22nd, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 66luvr
You may have the correct column, but 68 doesn't fit 69-72, the key was on the dash in 68 and on the column 69-72. So the guy gave you some incorrect info. Hope it works out.
Hmmm, you're right. But I shouldn't have any worries. The key is on the column so it should work. Good observation BTW...