General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Our early New Year’s celebration!

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2011, 09:14 PM

Talking Our early New Year’s celebration!

It was one wild ride with topless beauties, lots o’ booze, good loud music, bright lights, and dancing!!

Well, 3 out of 5 are good enough… No dancing or alcohol, but the ladyfriend and I took a 75 mile drive out in the country this afternoon with Lady – tops down of course! Setting the stage was lots of sunshine and a high of 70*F. Winds were fairly light for Texas and many people were seen in shorts and short sleeves. A long sleeve shirt and light jacket was all I needed.

We left at 1245pm to go have lunch at a little café in the town of Caddo Mills, about 33 miles northeast of home. Not long after getting on highway 78, a guy in an Audi blew his horn at us, giving us thumbs up and a smile. Happens every time it seems on that road…

After getting through the town – I mean crowded city – of Wylie, the drive became easier and more relaxing.
We turned off on Hwy 6, passing through the town of Nevada. The last few miles of the road were rough, but Lady’s new suspension took it in stride, straight as an arrow. Curves were also much easier and she tracked excellent.
Soon we arrived at Hwy 66, where we turned and headed north.
Get your kicks, on State 66…

Lots of land here is still farmed.
This field is for hay and new plants are already sprouting!

After passing through Josephine, we were almost at Caddo Mills. Note their old water tower in the distance.

We soon arrived at our destination – Bucky’s Café!

Not much to speak of on the outside of the 1960’s building, but the inside was styled after a 50’s diner.

Not very large, but cozy. Food was great – we had chicken fried steak and fried catfish. Staff was very friendly, as well as the other patrons. No wonder it earned 5 stars on the online reviews!
Other diners talked about my car as they walked in.

One older group specifically asked one of the staff “who owns that fancy car out there”?

The waitress looked around and said “it is not any of ours and if I had to guess, it would be those folks right there”, pointing to us. They went on to say how beautiful she was, and I had to admit, she is a total showoff, especially when topless. Very fun and nice people live out there – relaxing and laid back. NOT ONE diner in there was playing with a phone – rare, huh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1320.jpg (35.8 KB, 79 views)
IMG_1298.jpg (52.2 KB, 80 views)
IMG_1295.jpg (55.6 KB, 81 views)
IMG_1313.jpg (59.6 KB, 80 views)
IMG_1308.jpg (64.5 KB, 81 views)
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:19 PM

At the end of lunch, I decided it was just TOO nice out to go home. Therefore, we headed further north on 66. In little time we reached 380 near Greenville, so we turned west on it and headed towards the town of Farmersville. I wanted to seek out any other potential dining spots. Reaching 78 again, I turned north and then onto Business 78. This took us right into Farmersville’s town square…

I parked in front of the Dyer Drug store and for some reason, that name does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling……

The buildings were very old, historic, and well kept up. Most shops were closed due to New Year’s Eve.

We walked about and it felt so nice to be out in the warm sun. The center of the square was still decorated for Christmas.

There was also a gazebo with a Christmas tree.

We walked down to the end of the square and reached Main Street...
Attached Images
IMG_1321.jpg (49.7 KB, 80 views)
IMG_1334.jpg (78.4 KB, 80 views)
IMG_1358.jpg (85.4 KB, 79 views)
IMG_1329.jpg (89.8 KB, 80 views)
IMG_1342.jpg (91.1 KB, 80 views)
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:25 PM

Here was a line of antique malls – The Shops at Sugar Hill. Getting Alice out of there was like prying a muscle out of a conch shell…
And next door to those was a JEWEL of a diner’s secret – the Sugar Hill Café!

Inside was very warm and inviting…

Quite elegant for in such an old town!!

I loved the vintage bar setup…

Noone was there because it was closed for improvements. We will go back there for sure.

To the side of the Sugar Hill shops were a few other historic buildings, the right one sporting a date of 1886 on it.

So old yet still so nice. I am glad there are preserving their heritage there.
Attached Images
IMG_1353.jpg (61.1 KB, 79 views)
IMG_1347.jpg (82.0 KB, 80 views)
IMG_1345.jpg (69.3 KB, 80 views)
IMG_1348.jpg (76.0 KB, 80 views)
IMG_1354.jpg (86.4 KB, 80 views)
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:30 PM

Looked like a nice day for it! I have not made that run in quite a while. Happy New Year!
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:31 PM

So before we left this newly discovered bit of history, I had to get a few pictures of Lady in front of the big Christmas tree in the middle of the square!

If we had got there in morning, the sun would have been in a better spot, but oh well. We did not expect any of this!

Before leaving town at 430, we spotted one more shop we had to visit.

Alice ended up buying a Westminster clock.
Me? I actually bought NOTHING!
Why? I know I will be going back, and with more $$....

So like the Lone Ranger, we finally drove off into the sunset.
We passed over what was supposed to be Lake Lavon. Not much to speak of any more…

We arrived home with no issues, other than me complaining that the trip was too short.

Lady did great. I conclude that the HD springs are just right. A great compromise between smooth ride and good handling. Very enjoyable…

Happy New Year, y’all!!
Attached Images
IMG_1360.jpg (99.7 KB, 78 views)
IMG_1367.jpg (80.9 KB, 78 views)
IMG_1370.jpg (89.3 KB, 78 views)
IMG_1380.jpg (96.6 KB, 78 views)
IMG_1382.jpg (36.9 KB, 78 views)
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:34 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Very cool.....Trips like that make me want to unrace my car and go cruising!
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:37 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Ill be needing those pics in front of the Christmas tree......Theres some major phtoshopping to do to get rid of the wires and stuff but Christmas pics are hard to come by!
Old December 31st, 2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks Jerr! I will get them over to you soon. Yes, those came out nicely.

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
Very cool.....Trips like that make me want to unrace my car and go cruising!
Yes, this is the good life. But dont change yours at all - just get another for cruising!

OHHH - HAPPY NEW YEAR!

WOO WOO WOO WOO WOO WOO
*HIC*
<<BURP>>...

<Thud>...

ZZZZzzzzzzzzz..........
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:26 AM
Crazy Canuck

Love the pictures - your car is a beaut! They make me want to move to a warmer climate where I can drive the Olds at Christmas!
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:59 AM

Yes it looks like a fun day! Thanks for posting the pic's Rob, it's always interesting to see different parts of the country John
Old January 1st, 2012, 09:43 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Looks like a great ride!

After reading this thread I feel like I just received a post card from friend or family on vacation. O wait! this is your normal way of life in Texas. It's been 30's to low 40's and rainy here in Indiana so yes,I am a little jealous,yet happy to see you enjoying yourself.

Old January 1st, 2012, 10:14 AM

Yes, it was a fun day for sure. Farmersville was a blast from the past. Today is colder, but in the 50s at least. Not tops down weather anymore.

Originally Posted by oldsca
Love the pictures - your car is a beaut! They make me want to move to a warmer climate where I can drive the Olds at Christmas!
Thanks! But be careful what you wish for, though. If you lived down here around TX, you would not be able to cruise in most of the summer (unless you like sunburn, sweat, mosquitos, and near heat exhaustion)...
I miss out on most of the shows, just because of the heat. Last year was horrible. In fact, when the guys up north started talking about putting their cars asleep for the winter, I was just getting mine out.

I think I would like to have a mild, enjoyable summer, with a colder winter, but just without the severe snowfalls. Yep, I am thinking of the Pacific northwest! So many placed to go in that area, too...
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:19 PM

Another good job, Rob!!! Gosh, how do you find all these neat places to eat around here? We were up in Oklahoma last week and found some neat places to die, out of the way, also. Brought my digital camera, but forgot to put the little gizmo (that saves it all) back in, from the 'puter. Have to try that place in Caddo Mills, and soon. As to last night; yep, burp, gurgle, dancing fool up at the Texas Roadhouse with a live band - The Intangibles. Great time with great people. And close to home.
Old January 1st, 2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Another good job, Rob!!! Gosh, how do you find all these neat places to eat around here?
Thanks... Basically, I just look around on google maps. I looks for small towns and do a search on 'restaurant'. Most of the popular ones pop up and I look for mom & pop places. Zooming in, you can get an idea what the town looks like.
Farmersville has two neat places to eat. Sugar Hill, which was not listed on google, and Daddy-O's Doo Wop Diner (which scored high in reviews).

Call the places you are interested in to get business hours. Being family businesses, they often close early and on Sundays.

=We were up in Oklahoma last week and found some neat places to die, out of the way, also.
Looking for a rest home already??

Have to try that place in Caddo Mills, and soon.
The drive is best part - wide open country!
Old January 1st, 2012, 04:41 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice pictures Rob. Looks like a great way to start the new year off.
Old January 1st, 2012, 05:28 PM
Cutlass Lover

Great pics as usual, Rob!! What a pretty blue sky! I forget what blue looks like already, lol. Looks and sounds like a great time - glad you all enjoyed it!
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Nice pictures Rob. Looks like a great way to start the new year off.
Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Great pics as usual, Rob!! What a pretty blue sky! I forget what blue looks like already, lol. Looks and sounds like a great time - glad you all enjoyed it!
Thanks... After the pain and suffering I went through over the summer's resto, this helps make up for it!
It is also so nice to have had such a huge job get done, and no big problems were discovered afterwards. No rattles, clunks, or squeaks.
I am looking forward to a good LONG trip some time this year! Eastern Oklahoma and Route 66 are two ideas I am looking into.

This is the best part of owning a nice old car - driving her, and showing her off.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 08:18 AM
MOTORHEAD

Nice pictures Rob!

This time of year I really miss living in Texas.
Have a Happy 2012