General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Thoughts on 96 Roadmaster wagon

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Oldsdruid

Thoughts on 96 Roadmaster wagon

Estate auction here tomorrow has a 96 RM Estate Wagon with 56k miles. I went over to see it this afternoon and it's not pristine, but it's not beat up either- missing a couple of body rub moldings and the woodgrain outline mouldings are peeling like most. 9P, leather, loaded as one would expect a Roadmaster to be.

Anything in particular I should be aware of?

Biggest things that concern me are:

I have never been too fond of a Chevy 350 and that's all these had. Not sure if it's an LT1, window sticker is in the car but it was raining and I couldn't see it well. It IS a dual exhaust car. I can live with it if necessary.

Second thing is, if it needs dealer service I have to rely on the local Chev-Cad-Buick dealer and they suck rattlesnake *****, to be kind. The former Buick-Pontiac dealer was impeccable, but GM yanked their Buick franchise after 80 years and gave it to the half-assed Chevy dealer, who I despise dealing with for anything. (This stunt with the Buick dealer is one of many reasons I don't really care what happens to GM anymore.)

I know these wagons' reputation is pretty solid, and the old Gray Ghost is pushing 350K miles. I know it won't last forever and I like to keep a wagon around as they're handy. A Custom Cruiser would be the first choice, but with only two years production and less than 10,000 built, how often do ya see one? especially a nice one?

Kelley says one with those miles in good condition should retail for around $5k but I'm hoping for about half that, really. My worry is a dealer will get into it trying to make money, because those big wagons are as popular now as they were new.

Thoughts?
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:42 PM

She will be an LT1 car, being a Buick nicely equipped. Custom Cruisers are still around but often show their near twenty year age, mileage, and general condition. In addition with the Olds version, the best case scenario that you can hope for is a TBI 5.7 @ an earth shattering 180HP. Don't get me wrong, mine very safely, reliably and reasonably takes me to my job daily 34 miles each way for nine years. I just do not have the option of waxing unsuspecting punks that deserve a large serving of humble pie. The '96 should also have the more streamlined sail type rear view mirrors found on the Impala SS. Cargo capacity is very good in the B body wagons, You can haul a large stack of 4'x8' sheets of plywood with the seats folded down, though your knees will be rubbing the dash and a 6" clearance from steering wheel to chest if you do so. B body wagons have proven for me to be the best overall value for a daily driver based on utility, cost, mileage, reliability, style, and comfort What more can you ask for? Well yes more power would be optimal, but you would have that with an LT1!!!!! I would suggest finding a competent maintenance facility other than the local "friendly" Chevy dealer to take care of the vehicle maintenance. Often an honest, experienced local mechanic can have more insight to cars of this age and are less likely to take advantage of you because their livelihood depends on it. If they are truly professional, they use quality parts, explain work performed/suggested, and will charge a reasonable (and realistic) labor rate. Just my experience with these cars. Good luck!!
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Agree with what was said... I am on my secong 92 custom Cruiser..... It is the best and most dependable car I have owned needing next to no regular maintenance/repair. It is a 350 Chevy but not a LT1 like that 96 Roadmaster. That true dual exhaust on the Lt1 plus injection makes it a pretty spunky hauler! Only trouble with the LT1 is that funky 400 dollar distributer cap. My wifes 95 Fleetwood would miss now and then for over a year till i finally had it checked out and that was the problem.
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:00 PM

The engines surely a 260 hp version of the LT-1. These are nice running engines, as had a 285 hp version in a 96' Z-28 Camaro. Not many parts on these interchange with original Chevy SB,s. They are known for leaky valve cover and intake manifolds gaskets though. My water pump and power steering started leaking after awhile. Maybe not a big deal replacing this stuff on a large car, but a virtual nightmare on a Camaro, as pretty tight fit in there. Service shouldn't be a problem, as basically the same car as a Chevy Caprice. Think about how many Caprice police cars and taxis were running around.
Old October 28th, 2011, 07:24 PM

I've got a '95 Roadmaster sedan, wish I had a wagon version, but it is a very nice car & I would not hesitate to buy another one. I am a mechanic & at about 112,000 I replaced the complete distributor, plugs wires, water pump, all belts & hoses & t-stat. I expect all that stuff to last for many more years. If the one you're watching only has 54K, you should not have to worry about that repair for several years also. I did it myself & spent about $450.00 on parts plus about 12 hours of my time. A shop will charge about $1500.00 for the same repair, so keep that in mind.
Mine has the 265 hp LT1 engine & it does move for a big car. Does a righteous burn out if you want it to.
I get about 15-17 mpg around town & about 23 on the hiway if I take it easy.
I'd say go for it.
Old October 29th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

My brother had a 92. It was a good car.
With 235k miles on it, the car drove from Chicago to Houston & made it safely with no issues, only to have the stock aluminum wheels stolen by some sh1thead for scrap. Welcome to TX.

I bought him some replacement wheels, but he ended up junking the car.
& the wheels ended up on BIGJERR's car trailer at the Byron race.

The ABS system always had problems and the rear end axle seals used to chew up the axles though.

Once the LT1 got put into those wagons there were so many doodads under the hood, I didn't want anything to do with them anymore.
Old October 29th, 2011, 06:50 AM

We have the '92 Olds Custom Cruiser, just turned 210,000. Replaced the water pump/timing when we got it, and absolutely L-O-V-E the car! Around town 18-19, on the road consistent 26-28 on our trip to the Reno OCA Nationals this year. Luxury driving conditions, one of the best I've owned. Would not hesitate to get another one. Had to put dual Smithy's on her, of course. Puuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssss. Our shop has no problems working on it, and maintenance is reasonable in cost. I abhor dealers, anyway. Wish she had red leather, instead of cloth interior.
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:06 AM
GM Enthusiast

I have never owned one, but would get one if I found a beauty at a good price. Friend of mine had the 96 Roadmaster, basically the same mechanicals. He put 260k on it, the only repairs he did was tune ups, brake lines, master cylinder and of course, brake pads and tires. Never let him down. Ended up giving it to his niece and it got t-boned in an intersection. She walked away though without a scratch.

Good luck with your decision, but I would say go for it if you can get it for 2-3k for sure!
Old October 29th, 2011, 09:25 AM

The only downfall of that car is the opti-spark, but well worth it in the end. After that replacement you will likely never regret owning it.
Old October 29th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Oldsdruid

Ye gods. The Roadie knocked out at $6800. Geezer about 75 years old with snaggy teeth bought it. I dropped out at $3800.

Counting 10% buyer premium, this cat has right at $7500 in a $5500 car, but hey, he gots the bucks, he can pay what he wants. The way he was going I believe he'd have paid $10g for it. Same thing happened to me last fall on a Grand Marquis I was looking at in auction. That old coot actually snarled at the people who were bidding against him on that car. Lesson learned? Don't bid against geezers.

The Gray Ghost will run a while longer I'm sure. It runs well, just looks a little tired. Need to find another high school autobody class to paint it.

Last edited by rocketraider; October 29th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Yea, that's the interesting thing about auctions. Get a couple bidders wanting the same item, and things can get carried away. Good you were smart enough to know better, but surely the seller and auction house aren't complaining. If you were the only one bidding on it, probably could've named your price.