General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Verdict on Ogden Chrome molding repair & polish

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM

Verdict on Ogden Chrome molding repair & polish

A while back I posted a thread on Ogden Chrome discussing the quality of their products. If you recall that thread, https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...t=ogden+chrome

I shared my experience from the work they did on my 72 Supreme bumpers (fabulous). Now I have some more news to share. I sent off all of my stainless trim to them for polish and repaired. Including my front and rear window reveal moldings, rocker panel, wheel wells, weatherstrip channels, hood molding etc. etc. I was a bit nervous sending all of my trim in the mail. Who knows what could happen. Would I get it all back and undamaged? Anyhow, I got it all back in about 4 weeks. Were talking a lot of trim here. I would describe the quality as nothing short of fantastic! I unwrapped each and every piece and inspected the work. Mirror like finish on everything. Unbelievable job on the wheel well trim. I don't think this stuff looked this good from the factory. As much as I tried to teach myself the craft of polishing this trim, I was never satisfied with my efforts. Not to mention catching an edge on a few pieces and damaging them! I started with the simple flat pieces and got them to look presentable, but I wanted perfection (****). I knew I would never be able to handle the large rocker panel moldings (79") or the wheel well moldings. So I thought I would leave it to the experts. Cheap? No! Worth it? Yes. Am I over restoring a mere Cutlass Supreme? Yes...But it sure will shine when it's done....
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:14 PM

The bottom line is that your enjoying your car! Thank you for sharing your experiences with them. After reading your previous post I sent them a bumper they're going to replate for a CO member in Europe. After reviewing photos I sent them they gave me a quote of $405 plus $20 environmental fees for a total of $425 including shipping both ways. Once it arrived and they saw it in person they called to say the quote was correct and that I should have it back in 2 to 3 weeks.

I've only had one bumper replated many years ago. It had rust coming through in 6 months... So it's really helpful to have other members sharing who did a good job for them.

John
Old October 6th, 2011, 02:48 AM

If your trim is that shiny, then it would be wise to invest in a quality pair of sunglasses...or a good welding helmet...
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Can you get any pictures for us? Sounds like a really good deal!
Old October 6th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Lance

Originally Posted by hinz57
I would describe the quality as nothing short of fantastic!
That is great news!!!

I did not know that Ogden also did stainless.
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:53 PM

Thumbs down Good luck!

Ogden Chrome is a ripp-off. I got burned from them. Some people may have had a better experience but if you ask me they are a fraud. You can see my story and pictures at ripoffreport.com and search Ogden Chrome.
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:54 AM

you should start your own thread instead of pissing all over this guys..
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM

401 Wildcat, you've created 5 posts since you joined the site. All five were slams against Ogden Chrome. Sorry you had a bad experience, but now your acting like a troll. If your only contribution to this site is to bash a business that many of us have had a good experience with, then leave.

John
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Thank you for this post! I have alot to polish on my '67 and I was stressing where to take it.

They need to work on their marketing
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:02 AM

I sent both bumpers to Ogden last fall as a result of the previous thread. Both bumpers were returned arrow straight, very nicely finished, at the quoted price, and within the expected time frame for repairs/shipping. The folks on the phone were professional and courteous. I will be sending my pile of stainless within the next month or so. Regarding quality of work for any vendor I feel that the standard is different for each customer, and equally sometimes the customer's/vendor's attitude can ruin the experience regardless of the quality.
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
I sent both bumpers to Ogden last fall as a result of the previous thread. Both bumpers were returned arrow straight, very nicely finished, at the quoted price, and within the expected time frame for repairs/shipping. The folks on the phone were professional and courteous. I will be sending my pile of stainless within the next month or so. Regarding quality of work for any vendor I feel that the standard is different for each customer, and equally sometimes the customer's/vendor's attitude can ruin the experience regardless of the quality.
I too had a bumper plated due to the report from hinz57. Its for a 1965 Cutlass. Standard plating, not show plating but I'm very pleased with the quality and time it took for them to do it. I can post pictures if anybody wants to see it.