General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

finally drove it! now what are these noises?

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2011, 02:02 AM

finally drove it! now what are these noises?

so the car was sitting since 1987. i got it running, then i got the brakes to work. i finally took it for a spin. i drove it around the block a few times. first thing i noticed was the tires were like driving on squares. yes these are the same old tires and i will replace them. i noticed squeaks and groans coming from the suspension. i assume a lube job can help with that a bit. i then noticed what sounded like a metallic rubbing noise that from my best guess was from the drives rear tire. im not sure but could it be from the drum brakes or the bearing? i could feel it in the floor pan. i topped the rear end with gear oil and thats all ive done to the rear. im thinking of jacking the rear up and putting it in gear to see exactly where the sound is comin from (or is that a fu#king stupid idea). when i looked at the shoes they were like a around a bit more then a 1/8 th of an inch. other then that the car ran ok, i need to adjust the carb and get the timing right. thank you guys in advance for your advice
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:21 AM

IMO, driving a car that has been sitting for 24 years without completely rebuilding the brake system (which could include metal lines if they are rotted), changing all the fluids, replacing the tires, replacing any rubber fuel lines (and metal if rotted), replacing the fuel filter, possibly dropping the fuel tank for cleaning and carefully inspecting the suspension and other systems or have them inspected by a qualified mechanic is just plain foolish. I know we all get eager to take a car out for a ride but doing so without being certain that the car is safe not only puts your life and others at risk but also creates the possibility of a complete loss of your car and other's property. You also welcome litigation if you would cause an accident due to being clueless. Because of these factors, I would hope you will get the car correctly prepared for driving by having it inspected and certifed by a qualified technician before you try driving it again.
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Administrator

LOL, ^^^^^^^^, The noise as you said could be an axle bearing, ujoint, or a dragging brake. The sqeeks and groans are normal lack of lube, and possibly bushings and/or ball joints etc... I would not be driving on those tires much, as that really is an accident waiting to happen.

Good job on getting it running!!
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:23 AM

How can I tell if its a axle bearing, u joint, or dragging brake. And just to clear things up I drove it around the block and its pretty secluded. So far
I have replaced the brake hoses, flushed the lines, new combination valve,new fuel filter,, new timing chain and timing plate, new hei, new fuel pump, new water pump drained the gas tank.
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Jack up the rear of the car and spin the offending wheel by hand. If the brakes are rubbing it will be sluggish and or making a light scraping noise. For the bearing, you can do the samething, however it will be a constant groaning or grinding noise. It will be more profound if you start the car and run it in gear while its jacked in the air!
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 69442C
IMO, driving a car that has been sitting for 24 years without completely rebuilding the brake system (which could include metal lines if they are rotted), changing all the fluids, replacing the tires, replacing any rubber fuel lines (and metal if rotted), replacing the fuel filter, possibly dropping the fuel tank for cleaning and carefully inspecting the suspension and other systems or have them inspected by a qualified mechanic is just plain foolish. I know we all get eager to take a car out for a ride but doing so without being certain that the car is safe not only puts your life and others at risk but also creates the possibility of a complete loss of your car and other's property. You also welcome litigation if you would cause an accident due to being clueless. Because of these factors, I would hope you will get the car correctly prepared for driving by having it inspected and certifed by a qualified technician before you try driving it again.
Wow.

Laundry put too little starch in your shorts this week?

You know, your inaccurate imputation of recklessness to this poster could be considered libelous.

- Eric
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Wow.

You know, your inaccurate imputation of recklessness to this poster could be considered libelous.

- Eric
Was a bit harsh, huh? No sense of adventure what so ever!
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Wow.

- Eric
Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Was a bit harsh, huh? No sense of adventure what so ever!
Well, since there seems to be concerns about what I said, I'll mention why I said it. 21 years ago, a 20's something kid decided to take a 63 Impala out for a ride. He had picked up the car from someone and the car had been sitting for many years. Very similar story to the above. He knew a little about working on cars but not much. So, after getting it running, he decided to go for a spin. 2 blocks from his house, he was coming to an intersection and attempts to slow down. Unfortunately, a metal brake line was rotted and he completely lost the brakes in the car. He ran the stop sign (about 40mph) and t-boned a 25 year old girl driving a 79 Camaro. The Camaro went off the road and head on into a pole. Tragically, the girl driving the Camaro was killed and she was also my cousin. No one thinks it will happen, but it can. The fall out over this was horrible for both families. Just trying to make someone think a little so they don't have a similar situation.
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cluelesscutlass
How can I tell if its a axle bearing, u joint, or dragging brake. And just to clear things up I drove it around the block and its pretty secluded. So far
I have replaced the brake hoses, flushed the lines, new combination valve,new fuel filter,, new timing chain and timing plate, new hei, new fuel pump, new water pump drained the gas tank.
He said he did the above items and felt it was safe enough to drive around the block. I understand about accidents and am sorry for your loss! However, I still think it was a bit harsh! All he was doing was inquiring about some concerns!
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Bad things certainly DO happen, and I am sorry for your loss.

In this case, though, the poster had already talked about having gone over the brakes in previous posts, and his car, unlike a '63 Impala, has a dual circuit brake system, so even in the event of a brake line failure, a tragedy such as the one your family unfortunately suffered would be unlikely.
Of course, we could all imagine unlikely scenarios that could result in similar events, but doing so serves no purpose other than to induce fear.

- Eric
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Any other tips or tricks for diagnosing the rear? I'm gonna jack it up and take anothr listen. If it were a u joint what kind of problems would present
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM

U joint would generally make a cheep cheep cheep sound most often on acceleration. Brakes will generally make different sounds depending on if and how hard the brakes are pressed. Axle bearings will make a lower growling sound. When you drive it does the sound change when you hit the brakes?
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Administrator

I would venture to guess the ujoints would need to be changed anyway after that long of sitting, however you can check for play in the drive shaft. You will also notice a definate clunking sound when putting it into gear.

You probably have a bad axle bearing if its on the drivers side, if you have an open rear end. For the brakes, you can pop the brake drum off and see if they are sticking. Also a definate possibility after sitting if you didn't check your wheel cylinders.
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:00 AM

ok i jacked the car up today to listen to these noises. when i spin the rear driver wheel its smooth for half a turn then stiffens for the next half. there was very little play in the driveshaft when in park (somthing like 1/8 inch). i put the car neutral and started to spin the driveshaft by hand. i noticed the only tire moving was the passenger rear. i started it and put in in gear and it made a very bad spinning noise that i couldnt really locate and again the only tire really moving was the passenger rear. i almost think the noise was from the driveshaft. any thoughts. i think im gonna take a video and put it up.
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:40 AM

ok i put up a video. i hope u guys can give me a hand on this one. go to
www.cluelesscutlass.blogspot.com
thanks
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Administrator

I can't really tell from your video where the noises are coming from! U joints are cheap and an easy job. Looks like your pinion seal is leaking, and it sounds to me the like rear end is low on fluid. It is an "open rear" 1 tire power!! The axles are bolted in at the ends. I would bring it to a shop for a second opinion!!!
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Senior Moment Member

If you can put a video on the internet you can definitely fix this car. Critical thinking is critical thinking. It applies to everything.
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Hard to say from the sound, but I'd take a look at your rear brakes before doing anything else.
It's somethting you should do anyway, and you may find that you've got some loose hardware rattling around in there. If they're all okay, then it's time to look deeper.

- Eric