General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Does 70 Supreme Molding work on 72 Supreme?

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Does 70 Supreme Molding work on 72 Supreme?

Does the molding in the picture work for the 1972 Cutlass as well? I like this molding better than the strip that came on my 72 and want to know if it would work before I purchase the new molding. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
molding.jpg (69.9 KB, 33 views)
Old August 5th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by travisbeamon
Does the molding in the picture work for the 1972 Cutlass as well? I like this molding better than the strip that came on my 72 and want to know if it would work before I purchase the new molding. Thanks in advance!
The body panels are the same, so yes it will fit. You will need to drill all new mounting holes, of course.
Old August 7th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The body panels are the same, so yes it will fit. You will need to drill all new mounting holes, of course.
Sorry Joe, you sparked a question
Why bother drilling holes if the moldings could be carefully attached with 2 sided tape? Admittedly if there are existing rocker and body side moldings already on the 72 they would have to be looked after too. But after the body panels are done, why perforate them? Not trying to stir the pot, just curious because we all know the drawbacks of drilling out new mounting holes. Didn't the factory actually weld small '****' to the panel that a plastic fastener slipped over to secure the molding?
Old August 7th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Sorry Joe, you sparked a question
Why bother drilling holes if the moldings could be carefully attached with 2 sided tape? Admittedly if there are existing rocker and body side moldings already on the 72 they would have to be looked after too. But after the body panels are done, why perforate them? Not trying to stir the pot, just curious because we all know the drawbacks of drilling out new mounting holes. Didn't the factory actually weld small '****' to the panel that a plastic fastener slipped over to secure the molding?
You can certainly do that. To be honest, it's been years (decades???) since I had the trim off of a 1970 Supreme, so I don't remember if the die cast pieces have posts on the back or not.
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You can certainly do that. To be honest, it's been years (decades???) since I had the trim off of a 1970 Supreme, so I don't remember if the die cast pieces have posts on the back or not.
Kinda funny you saying that. At the last car show I was at, one of the guys showed up with a 'semi complete' 442 he was restoring. Granted he had the right U code engine that matched his VIN but the car was far from finished. It had all the sheet metal piercings painted over. While he was at the show he dry fitted all the 442 numbers (c/w posts on the back) then put double sided body tape under the numbers and stuck them on. He said that the car was for sale and because he was already into the car for 30,000.00 that's where he'd start from. Needless to say he drove it home.