General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

70 Cutlass- Brake light switch..no brake lights

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:18 PM

70 Cutlass- Brake light switch..no brake lights

I replaced the power booster, and while hooking up the rod to the brake pedal arm under the dash, the switch that activates the brake light pushed back on fell down. After installing the switch, no brake lights I checked the switch . Has continuity, then when I press the switch no continuity so the switch appears to open and close a circuit . Looks like I have power on connector (orange wire). But I don’t have brakes lights. Brake and hazard are on the same fuse, hazards work. Any ideas. Do I have a bad switch. ?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Del70
I replaced the power booster, and while hooking up the rod to the brake pedal arm under the dash, the switch that activates the brake light pushed back on fell down. After installing the switch, no brake lights I checked the switch . Has continuity, then when I press the switch no continuity so the switch appears to open and close a circuit . Looks like I have power on connector (orange wire). But I don’t have brakes lights. Brake and hazard are on the same fuse, hazards work. Any ideas. Do I have a bad switch. ?
If the switch has continuity when the plunger is not pressed and is open with the plunger pressed, it's working correctly. Simply unscrew the switch from the bracket and with the wires connected you should be able to make the brake lights go off and on by pressing and releasing the plunger.

More likely you have not adjusted it properly. You adjust the switch by pushing it all the way into the clip until it bottoms on the brake pedal arm (be sure the plunger is fully depressed). Now pull up on the pedal against the stop. You'll hear the switch ratcheting in the clip. Release the pedal. Done.