General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ron Roth dash restorations

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2011, 08:26 PM

Ron Roth dash restorations

Quite a few people have complimented the restored dash on my 442, so I think Ron deserves to be acknowledged here on the site where I found him. This spring, I was thrashing away to get my 67 convertible ready for Hot Rod Magazines power tour after a 23 year hibernation. I procrastinated till the last possible moment to get the project rolling, and waited even longer to start seeking someone to restore the sorry looking dash. Through this site, I found Ron.
Right from the start, it was clear that Ron was a class act. He laid out a very exact blueprint of what he would do, what the schedule was, and how much it would cost for each phase of the work and for shipping.

As the work progressed, Ron kept me posted via email and text message at each milestone. And he sent lots of detailed pictures, so I could see the job for myself.

When the dash showed up, it was un-damaged due to his over-kill packaging, it was ahead of schedule, and it looked great!

When Ron heard that my radio didn't work, he sent me a really nice one, no charge! He said he likes to go the extra mile for his customers by throwing in some extra that they didn't expect. When have you ever had a restoration vendor do that?

Since the power tour went from Cocoa beach Florida to Detroit, and Ron is in the Detroit area, I asked Ron if we could meet up when I was in town. Of course! Ron showed up with his freshly restored 66 Cutlass convert, prepared to show me the town. We cruised Woodward, went out for dinner, and had a great time.

Needless to say, I recommend that anyone who needs a dash restored should contact Ron!

instcluster.jpg

0153.jpg

0173.jpg

018.jpg
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:29 PM

It has me sold!!!!!!!!!
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM

Sounds like a stand up guy, and good at what he does too. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Old July 12th, 2014, 01:52 AM

Yeah I spoke with Ron today about doing the dash in our 67 442 and I think our dash will be in a box and on its way to him soon.
Old July 12th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Mine is in his hands right now, should be finished soon.
Old July 12th, 2014, 02:09 PM

Ron did a dash for me recently also, and as the OP said, he went over and above my expectations. He even gave me a couple small dash parts I needed that had somehow 'disappeared' from my workshop. Great guy to deal with!
Old July 12th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Ron's our best kept secret.
Old July 12th, 2014, 03:11 PM

I have talked to Ron, but not had the pleasure to meet him yet. Always a stand up guy & really does excellent work!
Old July 12th, 2014, 11:14 PM

He got my buisiness once upon a time.finished66002.jpg
Old July 13th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Do you have his contact info? Also what does he charge to do the restore?

Looks great!
Sean
Old July 13th, 2014, 08:06 PM
Majored in rear tire demo

Originally Posted by jstrits
He got my business once upon a time.
Got mine X2

WP_20130709_002.jpg
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:47 PM

His number is (586) 556-1234. I believe his going rate is $850. But from what I have seen it looks better than it did when it rolled on the showroom floor.
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:26 PM
L69

Ron is an artist and true gentleman. He is an honest old fashioned guy like most of us, who deals with a handshake and his integrity is of the utmost importance. Awesome work!!
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:44 PM

Does he restore cracked dash pads or just instrument panels?
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:48 PM
L69

Everything dash. Specialty 66-67. He has some in stock prob, you need to PM email or call him
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:59 PM

Ron is a standup guy. He did a great job on my dash. You won't be disappointed.
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:21 PM

Ron beautifully restores insturment panels, but he doesn't restore dash pads.
Old August 7th, 2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyjaws
Im sure Ron is very good at what he does , but u can buy all these parts new these days . in no way am I knocking Ron, but in my mind, if u cannot fix it yourself, your not a mechanic . I build older bikes for a very good living and restore older muscle cars . I don't know, I just feel if u cant fix it yourself, u shouldn't be doing it.Thanks for at least let me speak my mind and a lot of people agree with me because I got a lot of private messages from your forum members probably because they don't want to be casterized by your comments.
Wow, tell all of us hands on restorers how you really feel! I respect your opinion and the set up of maybe more than a few to give some heat back over this but...I have never met one single person that does it all. IE: Body and paint, seat recovering, convertible tops, custom upholstery, engine teardown and assembly, exhaust bending, trim restoration etc etc. The people I know in any industry have a craft they have close to perfected and that is why we use them. It sometimes allows the project to move along. And last I checked, restoring a 64-67 442 is pretty tough and you can't open up any catalog and just order up a 1966 cutlass instrument cluster and dash. and if you could it would be a chinese made piece. Yes they offer a dash pad but that is not what Ron is doing. I don't know how to re-vacuum apply new vinyl to a dash pad core. So I guess anyone that has used just dashes or the like should hang up the cleats too. I apologize but i feel I needed to get this off my chest and I feel as if I won't be the only one. I don't want to make this a huge sound off either..just stating an opinion. signed a "non-mechanic"
Old August 7th, 2014, 05:32 AM

Im sure Ron is very good at what he does , but u can buy all these parts new these days . in no way am I knocking Ron, but in my mind, if u cannot fix it yourself, your not a mechanic . I build older bikes for a very good living and restore older muscle cars . I don't know, I just feel if u cant fix it yourself, u shouldn't be doing it.Thanks for at least let me speak my mind and a lot of people agree with me because I got a lot of private messages from your forum members probably because they don't want to be casterized by your comments.

Please share with us your secrets, just where can you buy all these 66/67 dashes new?!?! I don't think you can.

And why must you be a mechanic to own and enjoy collectible cars? There's no shame in not being capable of not restoring/repairing a car personally. Sounds like you make a living from restoring cars for those who can't.

Henry
Old August 7th, 2014, 07:39 AM

I respect Ron a lot and haven't used his services yet, but I will.

He and I had a good conversation about the minutiae of getting a safety sentinel to work with a rallye pac.
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:38 AM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I'm a Big Guy but I am sensitive..I cant make a car go Fast.I cant Paint.I can wrench here and there.I forgot most of the basics over the 40 years I have been out of the Hobby.I don't claim to be an expert at anything including Instrument Panel Restorations.I got into this backwards and I now share a lot of Great Friendships throughout the Oldsmobile Pontiac and Mopar world.I learn a new technique every time I touch one of these.In the past 3 years I have made 200 new friends and restored in the neighborhood of 250 Instrument Panels.To all of you that have put your faith in me .And a part of your Restoration .I thank You .More importantly your Friendship and having my back..Now lets have a Beer..

Last edited by rroth01; August 7th, 2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I'm sorry and must disagree, there are no instrument panels available as repops. Ron provides a service that most cannot do on their own, the finished product is beyond reproach. I can pretty one up but no where close, I don't think the average guy can do one by himself and have it look as nice as what Ron can turn out.
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:56 AM

I've seen more than one restoration shop go broke, and many unhappy customers, because the shop attempted to do everything "in house" and busted the budget. For me, it's not a question as to whether it can be done, but can it be done efficiently? Sometimes the cost of equipment alone, would negate the possibility of doing a procedure in house, at a reasonable cost, as well as an accurate estimation of time needed.

I would consider a good restoration shop to have a staff of techs with specialized skill sets, and a network of qualified, proven vendors. In the end, you have to meet the customers expectations of time, quality, and price. to achieve profit. That's not to say there are no good "one man shows", but it's a tough nut to crack to meet all of the aforementioned customer expectations.

Just my thought's, Regards, Jim
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:20 PM

Ron Roth

Ron has an incredible talent for restoring these dashes. I had him restore mine and it was absolutely stunning when done. He is honest and will bend over backwards to help. I highly recommend him.
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Gary

Ron is just a great guy!