General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

8 track housing unit...has anyone purchased one?

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2011, 12:00 PM

8 track housing unit...has anyone purchased one?

Hello all. First let me say, the 8 track housing unit I purchased from member W70442 is fantastic. It looks great. I will post pictures once I have it installed...which leads me to my question.

Has anyone purchased one of these? If so, please tell me how to install. I'm not gifted in the automobile arena, but with a good set of instructions/directions I should be okay.

Thanks!!!
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Southern_Hospitality
Hello all. First let me say, the 8 track housing unit I purchased from member W70442 is fantastic. It looks great. I will post pictures once I have it installed...which leads me to my question.

Has anyone purchased one of these? If so, please tell me how to install. I'm not gifted in the automobile arena, but with a good set of instructions/directions I should be okay.

Thanks!!!
I installed my under the dash mount recently and it looks great. Randy provides great instructions to install your unit. The instructions he provides are as follows:

Just remove the 6 screws holding the a/c vent in place and take it off. Then install the housing by inserting the threaded studs through the two holes in that metal channel that runs across under the dash. Very loosely install the nuts on the threaded studs for now.
Rotate the front of the housing up so that it is flush with the dash the way you want it and mark the spots where you need to drill the two 3/32" holes for the two sheet metal screws that will go through the holes in those tabs on the mounting brackets. Remove the housing (if you need to) and drill two 3/32" (or appropriate size for your screws) pilot holes. If the car had an 8 track in the past, there will already be two small holes that will hopefully line up with the holes in the brackets.

Once the pilot holes are drilled, reinstall the housing leaving the nuts loose again (if you took it out). Raise the front up to the dash and _fully_ install the two sheet metal screws through the holes in the mounting brackets and into the dash metal. Then go back and tighten the nuts as needed.

Now that the housing is where it's going to be (and exactly where a factory 8 track would be), if you have A/C, use the dimensions shown in this pic to cut the a/c vent. The dimensions shown should leave the pieces a little long so that you can sand or file them to fit flush with the sides of the housing but please eyeball them after you mark them with these dimensions and before you cut them just to be sure they are correct for your car. Because of the design of the 8 track's mounting brackets, each housing may be located slightly different left to right. Also, be aware that the screw holes in the metal dash for the plastic A/C vents are actually not holes but rather slots so you will have about 3/8” of play left to right in which to position the vents.

If you need further instructions I have detail instructions with pics.

Joey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00765-20110718-1617.jpg (61.4 KB, 39 views)
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:57 AM

Just browsing thru the older posts, I was thinking about ordering a 8 track housing to put a CD head unit in it. Earl...