General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I didn't know my own strength...

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Unhappy I didn't know my own strength...

It's pretty clear what happened here...

...but repairing it (again) isn't so easy.

Her last owner apparently "repaired" these seat and window controls in the driver's door by literally screwing them up (notice the "extra" screws still in place).

[I wasn't really manhandling it. It just "fell" into the door when I went to shut a window.]

Given that the panel has been monkeyed with and can fail again at any time, I think replacing the whole panel with seat AND window controls is the way to go.

Problem is, I can't find a replacement anywhere. I know that the Custom Cruiser was built for ages and that there are lots of other B-Body models and body styles (which should make finding what I need easier), but no one in my area seems to have one OR know where I can look.

SO, if anyone knows which models/years/etc. had this panel and/or knows where one could be found to replace it [preferred] I would be in your debt. It looks like something they could use all over the Olds range, if not in B-Body brands other than Olds.

Thanks in advance...
Old June 15th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well that sucks, now doesn't it? Good luck - gotta be replacements out there somewhere!
Old June 15th, 2011, 12:22 PM

I love your profile pic of kids playing in the rain. It makes me smile. Thanks !
Old June 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM

Until you fix it, make sure there is no bare copper on the back of those switches which can short to some conductive surface.
Old June 16th, 2011, 01:57 AM

I have no idea about your year or model, but do know that the armrests on my 62 Dynamic 88 (a B body) interchange with those from a 1962 Chevrolet Impala. Chevy parts are pretty common.
Old June 16th, 2011, 05:56 AM
"me somebody" site member

This aint it exactly, and I'm not sure there is one currently on Ebay, but if you search for the terms "master control" and various combinations of terms like "switch", "switches", "window", "windows", "seat", "seats", and "door" and/or "panel" you may find what you need (I bet in ten minutes you could go through all the permutations, also there are tricks to searching, like putting things in parenthesis such as:

"master control (olds, oldsmobile, gm, chevy, chevrolet, pontiac, buick)"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OLDS-...mZ230208840531
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Unfortunately, while the 1977-1990 B-body wagons are all similar, the interiors are not. This is especially true with the armrests and power switches. For example, some put the power seat switch on the armrest, some on the side of the seat. Those switches do not interchange.

This topic is near and dear to my heart because the seat switches burn up contacts and replacements are not available, thus my search for used parts. All you can do is search out the B-body cars in wrecking yards until you find one with the same armrest and switch configuration. I will say that my 86 Caprice wagon uses the same armrest switches as your 89 Olds. And no, you can't have the spares that I found...
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

She's a 1989 Custom Cruiser with the 1SC package (has power everything, including seats).

That one listed on eBay looks like the "base" model as it has a door lock switch where all my seat controls are.

[Though it's a "set it and forget it" on the seats as I'm the only person who drives her. I'll have to do more research on the one posted as it might work for a temporary replacement so I can fool with the windows whilst searching for the exact part I need...]

Thanks!
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I will say that my 86 Caprice wagon uses the same armrest switches as your 89 Olds. And no, you can't have the spares that I found...
You might know about this: in that four-pack of switches, on the one that operates the left rear window (lower LH quarter), the little chrome "handle" (that tilts fore and aft to operate the window) popped out. I put it back in and it still works, but is something supposed to keep it in place other than gravity? When its in the middle/inactive position it stays in because the base of the toggle is larger than the opening. But when you move it--aft, let's say--it exposes the front edge of the toggle and it pops out.

I only want to take this door panel apart once, so I figure I have to get everything right the first time...