General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

73 Hurst Olds

Old May 8th, 2011, 05:00 PM

73 Hurst Olds

does anyone know where i should post my 73 Hurst Olds for sale? No luck at Hemmings and Deals on Wheels. I'm surprised no activity!

73 Hurst
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Have you tried here? Have you tried www.73-77olds.com ? These forums are a great "free" place to sell your car. Be careful for any scams. If you accept a certified cheque, make it clear to the buyer that the car doesn't move until the cheque clears the issuing (his)bank, not yours. On second thought, if you're not familiar with the kind of scams out there, seek the advise of the people here before sending the car anywhere. Good luck.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Selling suggestions, and comment

Originally Posted by 73hurst
does anyone know where i should post my 73 Hurst Olds for sale? No luck at Hemmings and Deals on Wheels. I'm surprised no activity!

73 Hurst
Ummmm, Yeah. I'm with Ken. Why haven't you posted it here? It would be great to have a link to a lot of pics (like a photobucket acct) to see details. If you can get shots of all outside profiles, inside, engine bay, trunk, and maybe get a local garage to put it on a hoist to show underneath. Also provide a complete listing of car options, work done, work needed, documentation, car history, Asking price OBO, etc and be sure to let us know where you are. These 'little details' give potential buyers really good first look (first impression) information about your ride.

Also, I can't emphasize enough. (if you can afford to do this) Get the car detailed so it shows its best not only in the pictures, but in person. I've found that spending some coin for this service is more than offset by the higher selling price.

In today's economy, the car will only bring what a buyer is willing to spend. Your choice on flexibility. But if you start at a reasonable price, the chances of selling it are way better than setting it high and 'hoping'.

Just out of curiosity, why are you selling the car? And do you have documentation that the car actually is a Hurst Olds? Some records I've got indicate that in 1973 there were only 499 HO Hardtops, and 130 HO Convertibles built. That represents only 5.1% of the 10,344 Cutlass units produced by Olds that year. Of the HO Hardtops, only 220 had a sunroof option. If you have one of these units, I would think you have a desirable starting point, depending on condition.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:31 PM

Allan, there were no 73 H/O convertibles. Maybe you're looking at 72 stats? There were 1097 H/O's built in 1973, black and gold or white and gold. Look at the latest Olds Faithful newsletter. There is an article on the 73 H/O.

Last edited by 442much; May 8th, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442much
Allan, there were no 73 H/O convertibles. Maybe you're looking at 72 stats? There were 1097 H/O's built in 1973, black and gold or white and gold. Look at the latest Olds Faithful newsletter. There is an article on the 73 H/O.
Duhhh, whattaya mean there were no 73 converts? K, my bad. Yes I was indeed looking at the wrong page, sorry for any confusion this caused.

But it is interesting to note that in 73, that was the first year you could order a color scheme for your HO. It was either cameo white with gold, or ebony black with gold. Considering the problems GM had with their production and metals back then it's amazing to hear there's a car out there for sale. Hopefully in reasonable shape. Love that rear opera glass

But, I WISH there had been a 73 HO verte, or at least a T top. That would have been soooooo cool.

BTW, can't find the article. What page?
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Duhhh, whattaya mean there were no 73 converts? K, my bad. Yes I was indeed looking at the wrong page, sorry for any confusion this caused.

But it is interesting to note that in 73, that was the first year you could order a color scheme for your HO. It was either cameo white with gold, or ebony black with gold. Considering the problems GM had with their production and metals back then it's amazing to hear there's a car out there for sale. Hopefully in reasonable shape. Love that rear opera glass

But, I WISH there had been a 73 HO verte, or at least a T top. That would have been soooooo cool.

BTW, can't find the article. What page?
My 76 still has it original quarters, fenders, doors and bumpers...the front bumper has never been re-chromed. I should look into that.

Allan, it's only a 26 page newsletter. I think it's page 10, just after the US $10 with RE Olds signature on it and the registration for the Montana Oldsmobile Week in June.
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't think you'll have any problems with your 76 Ken.

The problem in 73 was a result of recycled metal for the body panels AFAIK. (looked that up in the HO forum) Do your bumpers need re-chrome? Last time I looked at your car, it showed very nicely. Mind you I didn't crawl under it to look at the bumpers from underneath. That would only be a factor for the guy who tries to steal it, right?
Old May 14th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Thanks to all

Guys/Gals,
thanks for the good advice. I've got some nice pics of the car before it sat through this past year in a garage. I've also got a 3-ring binder with complete records since it was bought (lucky!).
i'll be posting the car here then for sure and check out the website by 442 much.

thanks again fellow olds

oh, reason i'm selling is because i've moved to new york city when i lost my job in NJ and i cant afford the 12,000 per year (minimum, goes up from there!) to keep it in a garage...plus people dont really drive to get around, you take the subway....and if I left the car on the steet for any reason, to get dinner, etc....it would be gone faster than you can blink. heck, i can probably jimmy the car door with a coat hanger, imagine what New York's Finest (im not talking about cops) can do?!?

Last edited by 73hurst; May 14th, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Is this car still for sale?

Thanks

Bob