General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Looking at Auroras

Old February 28th, 2011, 12:00 PM

Looking at Auroras

The wifes Monte Carlo is going to need replacing soon, approaching 200,000 miles and she drives 120 miles a day to work and back. So I've been looking at getting an Aurora for her. I see a lot of them advertised with blown head gaskets. Just wondering if this is a common failure? Found a couple with bad transmissions too. Does it use an easy to find transmission?
Also, I am leaning toward the v6 because of gas mileage. What should I look out for in selecting an Aurora?
Prices range from $800 up. Seems a good running one with around 100,000 miles are around the $3,000 range, I wouldn't mind getting one with a bad tranny and replace it myself. Blown head gasket, I would have to think about it because of possible internal damage.
Anyways, any thoughts would be helpful.
Higgins
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Higgins
... I wouldn't mind getting one with a bad tranny and replace it myself. Blown head gasket, I would have to think about it because of possible internal damage.
Anyways, any thoughts would be helpful.
Higgins
You might want to take a look at a factory service manual before you make that decision. You pretty much have to drop the drivetrain cradle to replace the trans, do the heads, etc, etc.
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks Joe... I'm really not that familiar with the Auroras but they sure look nice and most are loaded with leather etc., would be a nice ride. With that much involved in replacing a trans or gaskets I can see why I can pick one up cheap. I will have to research the best I can what is involved but at around $1,500 to $2,000 each including repairs I could get two. LOL
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Watch out for the 2 piece plastic intake manifolds on the 3.8 V-6 too. Lots of gasket failures on those and the EGR port is also prone to failure. The supercharged V-6 uses a one piece aluminum manifold and no problems with those ones.
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
Watch out for the 2 piece plastic intake manifolds on the 3.8 V-6 too. Lots of gasket failures on those and the EGR port is also prone to failure. The supercharged V-6 uses a one piece aluminum manifold and no problems with those ones.
Not an Aurora motor, however. The first gen only used the 4.0 liter version of the Northstar. The 3.5 liter "shortstar" V6 was an option on the second gen.
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Not an Aurora motor, however. The first gen only used the 4.0 liter version of the Northstar. The 3.5 liter "shortstar" V6 was an option on the second gen.
I had to replace the intake gasket on my Monte Carlo at about 140,000 miles. That was an easy job, couple of hours.

I had never heard of intake gasket problems on the Buick 3.8.

I know the 3.5 is a 6 cyl. version of the Northstar, just wondering now if all these blown head gasket cars, v6 & v8s, are really intake manifold gasket problems instead. Looks like a lot of research to do and some Auroras to look at when the weather gets better. Checked on transmission prices already, $250 to $500 range.

Sure would like to hear from all the Aurora owners of pros and cons.
Thanks
Higgins
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:01 PM

Headbolts are known to be an issue with the 4.0. My 1st gen had 240,000 miles on it when i sold it and no issues.

In the 1st gen a lot of the tranny issues were either shift solenoid or ISS.

2nd gen also have issues with ISS.

1st gen headlight switches are known to go bad and are very expensive but can be cleaned with a little effort.

1st gen started is under the intake. Little bit of a nuisance.

1st gen driver side ac is warmer than pass due to proximity to heater core.

1st gen fuel tank retaining rings rot out.

1st gen wiring harness chafes through body in left rear causing abs codes.

2nd gen air pumps suck in water a rot out.

2nd gen pvc connector fails and no one makes a replacement, you need to make one out of rubber hose and fittings.

Most bad tranmissions are ISS, code 716. Ive done a couple in my day. Half day job in the garage with basic air tools, plenty of jack stands and floor jack. I think its $100 in materials.

I sold my 1st gen and now own a v6 second gen now. Bought the 2nd gen with 70k with a bad ISS and bought it extremely extremely cheap.

I love both cars but not cheap to own if you have to pay someone to fix them.
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:43 PM

I should have made it clear that the 3.8 V-6 is in my '97 LSS. Not a bad car, just multiple failures on those intake gaskets and when the EGR port failed, the engine flooded with coolant and hydro-locked. (luckily it didn't kill the engine though)

p.s. Wasn't Aurora supposed to be the car that was going to save Olds?

Last edited by oldsonharmont; February 28th, 2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:55 AM

The Aurora V6 is the 3.5l twin cam short star (it is "based" on the V8). I am not sure how much it has in common with the 3.8.

One mans opinion .....

When the Aurora came out, the end of Olds was a matter of when and not if. I am sure there were hopes that it would help but i dont know how one car could save a marque. IMO, it took GM too long to figure out what each brand's strategic position would be and how it would fill a consumer need. If Olds and Pontiac didnt fit a need or strategy why did it take so long to drop them?
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
The Aurora V6 is the 3.5l twin cam short star (it is "based" on the V8). I am not sure how much it has in common with the 3.8.

One mans opinion .....

When the Aurora came out, the end of Olds was a matter of when and not if. I am sure there were hopes that it would help but i dont know how one car could save a marque. IMO, it took GM too long to figure out what each brand's strategic position would be and how it would fill a consumer need. If Olds and Pontiac didnt fit a need or strategy why did it take so long to drop them?
I am most interested in the v-6 gen2 but open to the best deal.Thanks for the info on the ISS.

Funny how GM had over 50% of U.S. car sales in the 1950's & 60's using A.P. Sloans method of independent divisions, then change to badge engineering for cost savings and eventually go bankrupt.
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

The Aurora V6 is the 3.5l twin cam short star (it is "based" on the V8). I am not sure how much it has in common with the 3.8
Well, they're both 90 degree V6s.

They're both built by GM.

And, that's about it.
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:01 PM

Bought my 01 cheap. The car had 160,000 miles. Before I bought I searched out an 3.5 V6 with 40,000 for $1000. Bought the car, replaced the engine and the air pump made noise. Fixed that by removing the fuse. Other than that, no problems to speak of.

When I replaced the engine I also changed out the Intake Manifold Gasket as they are prone to fail. They failed in my 3.4L Montana (changed through warranty), my 3.8L Intrigue (bought that car after my mother in law toasted the engine - replaced that engine (and gasket), now, great car) and wasn't taking any chances on the Aurora's gasket failing. So far, I'm happy that I bought the Aurora.

Any GM engine from 1996-2003 intake gaskets could be (are) a problem. If changing the engine, get it's serial number, call a GM dealer and they can tell you the history on the work done at GM dealers.
Old March 1st, 2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You might want to take a look at a factory service manual before you make that decision. You pretty much have to drop the drivetrain cradle to replace the trans, do the heads, etc, etc.
Joe is right.
I got a very nice, super clean green 1995 Aurora, back in 2007.
Between rebuilting the tranny ($2500-$2800), new raditor( $400), and other electirc issues, it would of cost me about $4,000 to make it road ready. I sold it to a couple who also owned a 1998 Aurora.
You can see the profile on my former Aurora, on CarDomain.com .

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/297201...smobile-aurora

Last edited by toro68; March 1st, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by toro68
Joe is right.
I got a very nice, super clean green 1995 Aurora, back in 2007.
Between rebuilting the tranny ($2500-$2800), new raditor( $400), and other electirc issues, it would of cost me about $4,000 to make it road ready. I sold it to a couple who also owned a 1998 Aurora.
You can see the profile on my former Aurora, on CarDomain.com .

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/297201...smobile-aurora
That was a nice looking Aurora for $700, think thats what I'm looking to buy. I am not that great of a mechanic but a pretty good parts replacer. I could replace the transmission but couldn't rebuild one. Junk yard trans for $250-$500, engine $500 -$1000. Boldsmobile clued me in on the ISS problems and the gasket problems. My labor's free.
I have until fall to find what I want, of course if I could find one with no issues for $2000 that might work too.
Higgins
Old March 1st, 2011, 07:38 PM

The cradle drop isnt bad on those cars. I have done both 1st and 2nd gen.

When i did the ISS the lowered the right side cradle and rested it on jack stands , but not completely detached. Bolts were not completely backed out on the right side. Only loosened enough so that as i unbolted the left side i could tilt it down.

The ISS is behind the vertical pan along the left side rail. You have to remove the left side shaft. Disconnect steering shaft at bottom of column. Fuel lines. Cooling hoses. Throttle cable. Upper motor mount bolt. With the cradle tilted down it might not be a bad idea to do a heater core because the fittings are so easy to get to.

If you buy one and need any help hit me up. I even have 2 sets of factory service manuals for sale.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:36 AM

Why not consider another Monte Carlo, something like a 1971.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:24 AM

If you buy one and need any help hit me up. I even have 2 sets of factory service manuals for sale.
Boldsmobile, thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if and when I get an Aurora. I probably don't need the manual until I get a car but PM me with a price if you want, may get it just to study it.
Originally Posted by Destructor
Why not consider another Monte Carlo, something like a 1971.
Destructor, we have a 2002 Monte and really need another front wheel drive for the Michigan winters. The wife wants a modern car with all the power comforts, heated seats etc. She has to drive 120 miles a day.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:10 AM

What I don't like about our Auroras is the fact that without a grille and the cooling air comming up from below the bumper, it's really bad when you are running in deep snow...fills up the front of the condenser- so i keep a small, soft long handled brush in the car to sweep out the snow when I am stopped in a convenient location so the rad doesn't overheat other than that it handles great in the snow and on ice...it gets pretty exciting to learn how to drift a front drive car on ice , not like a rear drive at all
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Higgins
The wife wants a modern car with all the power comforts, heated seats etc. She has to drive 120 miles a day.

My personal opinion is that is one HELL of a loooooong drive to be risking only
a $3,000 vested interest in a mid grade luxury car, with all those amenities IF
they are working.

I personally think you should up your budget if you want something reliable.
That tow bill would suck. Nice cars, but for $3,000 I'd fully expect to buy a piece
of work with problems up the ****.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
My personal opinion is that is one HELL of a loooooong drive to be risking only
a $3,000 vested interest in a mid grade luxury car, with all those amenities IF
they are working.

I personally think you should up your budget if you want something reliable.
That tow bill would suck. Nice cars, but for $3,000 I'd fully expect to buy a piece
of work with problems up the ****.
You do have good points. It is a loooong drive as you say. That is why I am looking at lower mileage (under 100,000) used cars. A "cheap" new car is $20,000. and putting 35,000 or more miles a year on it makes it worthless after about 3 years. I wouldn't buy a used one with, as you say, a lot of issues. Looking at a few Auroras this past few days, there are a lot with just one problem, a bad transmission or blown head gaskets. Most people don't want to pay for these expensive repairs so sell the cars really, really cheap. Some less than $1,000. I have a truck & car trailer, so no tow bill.
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:34 AM

I turned down a $100.00 '98 Aurora last fall. Needed a battery and possibly an alternator...I just don't know were to put any more cars without the Township getting on my case!!!
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
I turned down a $100.00 '98 Aurora last fall. Needed a battery and possibly an alternator...I just don't know were to put any more cars without the Township getting on my case!!!
That would be what I would hope to find but will probably be more in the $1,000.oo or a little more range I'm sure.