General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Middle East

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:23 PM

The Middle East

Well it has begun!! It is going to be very difficult for the 10mpg classic car owner. National gas prices have begun jumping 15-30 cents a gallon. Here in MN fuel has jumped 15-20 cents in the last 24 hrs. My son called from New york and he is now paying 12 cents more from sunday.
It is time we control our destiny. It is time to drill dril and build a new refinery.
This is going to make the fuel shortage of the 70's look like a cake walk.
British, Canadian and Italian fuel companies have sent their employees home from Libya and have begun planning on removal of others from Bahrain.
This is going to be a great hardship for all of us who have to decide wether to fill up the classic or the family car.
Add a little panic in the fuel sector and we will see 5-6 dollars a gallon.
I just may put off some work on the classic so I can at least afford to drive it this summer.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:05 PM

Unfortunately, since we have no big control of the situation, it is best to save fuel in any way we can. Minimize trips, use public transport if we can, make stops for purchases on the way home, instead of going on the weekend, plan trips to maximize fuel use, and maybe reduce the burnouts...
Perhaps save in other places to allocate more gas money!
This way we will be able to have more $$ to fill up our classics and enjoy them.

Since this thread may invoke political uprise, it will be closed upon first hint of it, so lets watch what we post...
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
...Since this thread may invoke political uprise, it will be closed upon first hint of it, so lets watch what we post...
My stamp of approval is all over that statement.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Originally Posted by navvet
Well it has begun!! It is going to be very difficult for the 10mpg classic car owner. National gas prices have begun jumping 15-30 cents a gallon. Here in MN fuel has jumped 15-20 cents in the last 24 hrs. My son called from New york and he is now paying 12 cents more from sunday.
I just moved from Virginia to Nova Scotia. Gas prices are really high here compared to VA. I was paying $2.70, for Reg Self pump, a gal just before Christmas whick is like $0.70 a liter. Now in NS we are paying $1.18 a liter or $4.48 a gal. I don't know if it was taxes, location, market share, whatever. I was definitely a shock the first fill up.

Adam
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM

I will keep the politics out of it. I am organizing a car show this spring and I am going to have one of the prices be a 25.00 gas certificate. We have so little time for fun, be a pitty to miss the fun of driving a classic
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Cutlass Lover

That sounds like a good idea! Gas around here just shot up from $3.05 a gal. to $3.29 at most stations. This was in my email this morning. From Akron Gas Buddies...

Projected Price $3.19-$3.35 If not Egypt, if not Iran, then who? Well this time Libya has taken front stage. Compared to Egypt, who isn't known for oil, we have Libya, who does sit on a decent amount of oil production. Even in light of above average supply of oil, crude prices are being driven higher by nervous investors concerned that the Middle East is on the cusp of further unrest. This has driven crude prices up 6% today, and gasoline futures have followed higher. This is setting the stage for a price hike to $3.19-$3.35 in the next 72 hours. If I had to put a time on it, I'd say get gasoline before Tuesday morning. Odds of this increase are 85%, so don't wait. Forward this to a friend and fill up soon!

Thanks,

The Gasbuddy Team
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Registered

My daughter's Poncho Sunfire that I'm driving right now gets 32 MPG.

The big oil crisis in the early 70's was becuse of the Arab oil embargo, there really wasn't a shortage.
I pumped gas back during the embargo and it wasn't pretty.
I always had a full tank and everybody wanted to be my friend though.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:31 PM

Thumbs down

The price only goes up with bad news, but never goes down with good news.

The hedge funds and speculators live for this type of news to drive up prices.

A few get rich and the rest pay in.

The greedy now rule the world - and it will get worse.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:04 PM

And as far as drilling goes you can forget that with the President thats in the white house at this time.!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by My442
Amen !!! If you have not already read a book called "Gusher of Lies"
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM

I still intend to drive all three of my vehicles on Earth Day.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by My442
The price only goes up with bad news, but never goes down with good news.

A few get rich and the rest pay in.

The greedy now rule the world - and it will get worse.
Bingo.

There's a simple solution. It involves violence, but it will get the point across. Line up these money market managers and point a gun at one's head. Ask if he's gonna rein it in. If he says no, pop a cap in his ***. Continue down the line. Add a couple of oil company execs if desired.

My money says after the second one you would see oil prices drop and speculation and futures trading calm down.

An added benefit- it would be good for the funeral business.

Sorry to sound so cynical, but these people can't or won't understand what effect their actions have on everything. They are sowing the seeds of revolution in this country and don't have enough sense to realise it.

And they will have the nerve to be surprised when it starts.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think the only reason why there hasn't been a revolution yet is that it's so hard to decide exactly which group will be "the first against the wall when the revolution comes."

- Eric
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:38 PM

The highest price here was $1.23/L (4.70/gallon), but the average is about 1.13-1.14/L.

Hearing all this new about prices jumping, maybe I should have fixed up the Quad442 instead of the Cutlass.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Amen !!! If you have not already read a book called "Gusher of Lies"
That was a good read!!!

1)"Drill, drill, drill"---wouldn't make one iota of difference in prices. What are you going to do?? Put price controls on the oil these domestic producers would produce. That'll really motivate all our oil companies..."you can drill here but you have to sell your product at a huge discount to the real market price"

2)"Energy independence"---another bad joke. Ain't going to happen....at least not in regards to OIL. We simply require too much here to put any size dent in it...and even if we did...see #1. The US transportation fleet (ie US motor vehicles) use 1 out of every 10 barrels produced WORLDWIDE.

3)Corn-based ethanol---This is beyond a "bad joke". It's a welfare sop/handout to the corn producers. Environmentally, it's a COLOSSAL MISTAKE----it takes 87 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon (or it could be 1 barrel...but it doesn't matter) of corn ethanol.

It takes something like 7 gallons of water to produce the equivalent volume (1 gallon or 1 barrel, whichever it is) of oil.

That IS INSANITY DEFINED.

What My442 said has merit....you can almost track the price rise in oil to the introduction of ETF (Exchange Traded Funds) that were set up to speculate in oil prices. It's not the so-called "greedy oil companies" driving up prices....it's speculators around the world that set the prices.

I love it when the MSM says...markets were "nervous" like everyone gets nervous and goes out and buys oil, thus driving up the price. HA HA---all it really means is the speculators have an excuse to run prices up...they aren't "nervous" at all. In fact, they are ecstatic!!!

One crazy fact in the book...up until 1973 the WORLD oil price was basically set by THREE people in Texas.

Last edited by 70Post; February 22nd, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:51 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

OK this may too close to political for this forum.
The working stiffs who live in the oil producing countries don't like living in police states and thanks to modern communications are realising they are missing out.
Don't blame the oil producing nations, try the despots who run them and the nations who have been propping them up.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:29 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I will leave politics out of it which is difficult for me to do. The first thing we think about is the immediate effect on ourselves and our families. This will affect our entire economy. Everything we consume if affected.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:45 AM
Past Administrator

Yes it is difficult to leave out your political viewpoint in a discussion like this, very difficult.