General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

68-72 Cutlass Registry, History Tracking and Car Appraisals

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2011, 06:16 AM

68-72 Cutlass Registry, History Tracking and Car Appraisals

Hi,
I have 3 questions to ask in regards to my 68 Cutlass... Is there a link to register 68-72 Cutlass? I've seen the 73-77 Cutlass Registry. Also, any suggestions or recommendations whom to contact regarding car appraisals? And most of all what is best way to track it's history? I ran VIN# in those VIN searches but those links don't go back far enough, i.e. VIN has to have a certain amount of characters. I have a little history but was hoping to get the whole sha-bang.

Thank you for your guidance!
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Moses
Hi,
I have 3 questions to ask in regards to my 68 Cutlass... Is there a link to register 68-72 Cutlass? I've seen the 73-77 Cutlass Registry. Also, any suggestions or recommendations whom to contact regarding car appraisals? And most of all what is best way to track it's history? I ran VIN# in those VIN searches but those links don't go back far enough, i.e. VIN has to have a certain amount of characters. I have a little history but was hoping to get the whole sha-bang.

Thank you for your guidance!
To answer your last question, you can't trace the VIN on a car this old. As you have found out, the CarFax-like services don't have the data, and frankly, little of this data is available electronically anyway, it's scattered across the DMV offices of fifty states and Canada (if it even exists anymore), and there's really no financial incentive to scan it and build a database. The Oldsmobile production records tying VIN to build sheet similarly no longer exist.
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:00 AM

The folks at Volo Auto Museum do appraisals not sure how well they know Oldsmobile but they sell and appraise a lot of cars. Why do you want an appraisal? just asking because some insurance companies want them others are agreed value so you don't need one - and if you are just curious about value, pictures and descriptions can allow those on the board to give you an idea for free.
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Thanks guys, that's a help! Yes, it's the curiosity. Insurance "value' is based on an agreed price. To me it already has great value and what it means to me. I have read here and there in articles that a "certain classic car" has been appraised at so much money. I'm just curious as to it's monetary worth. Description of car is as stated in gallery or "my profile" on this site, pictures are there too. Any questions, please ask.
Thank you again.
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Moses
Insurance "value' is based on an agreed price. To me it already has great value and what it means to me. I have read here and there in articles that a "certain classic car" has been appraised at so much money. I'm just curious as to it's monetary worth.
If you insure with a reputable classic car insurance company like Hagerty they will give you a replacement policy requiring pictures only. No need to pay for an appraisal. When I insured mine with them they gave me a number of options in value to insure it at and the associated premiums for each. In other words, they'll tell you what they think it's worth. You can choose the high end or a lessor value.
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:52 AM

One quick easy way to get an idea is the Old Car Buyer's Guide.
I think it's a monthly publication. Most news stands or book stores have them.
You can get a good average value from it.
It uses the standard #1 thru 5 with 1 being a trailer queen and five being rough.
Prices will vary some from state to state.

Last edited by 67442nut; February 19th, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:27 AM

Thanks Ed! I forgot about the old standby... Old Cars Buying Guide. I read that religiously in years past. Sometimes the things u need to remember the most are right next to you if you just.... Think!