General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Powder coat my frame? Yea or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM

Powder coat my frame? Yea or Nay?

There hasnt been a post on this topic that i could find in almost 2 years? Was wondering if there is some new technology or ideas about Powdercoating VS Painting a frame and/or components such as control arms and A-Frames on a resto project?
Just came from a friends shop that just got his frame for his resto project back from having it powdercoated. Man does it ever look sharp!
I have my frame all ready for sandblasting and was planning on epoxy primer and paint, but now may want to consider the powder coat treatment? Can anyone offer any new pros or cons about powdercoating my frame? vs epoxy primer and paint? My biggest question is whether it can/will crack, chip, or peel? Anyone have direct expierience on this? Want a nice job for my resto project that i want to be Cruiser/driver/ local show vehicle. Not wanting "concourse" job or "trailer queen". I want to drive and enjoy the car! Thanks for any help!
Old December 27th, 2010, 04:20 PM

For your intended purpose and climate, whatever way you go, try to find a means to clean the insides of the boxed parts and coat the insides too. As far as cracking later, the more the frame flexes, the more chance of that. Convertible frames have more boxing for rust to start inside, but are very stiff. Maybe it's time to put in that six point rollbar to stiffen the frame
Old December 27th, 2010, 04:45 PM

The thing i dont care for with powder coating is repairing scratches and or having to weld to the frame and than later trying to make it match. You cant touch up a scratch and if you need to do any welding its a pain to grind and than trying to paint back over the ground section is a bit of a pain.

I did all the bolt on suspension parts on my 71 and the look is nice but it if i were to do it over again id use epoxy chassis black. Thats what i have been using on the restoration of the HO. In bright sunlight it has a slight brown tint to it but i like this stuff a lot.

Personal preference only. Im sure others like powder coat instead.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-CSUMUP501/
Old December 27th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
For your intended purpose and climate, whatever way you go, try to find a means to clean the insides of the boxed parts and coat the insides too. As far as cracking later, the more the frame flexes, the more chance of that. Convertible frames have more boxing for rust to start inside, but are very stiff. Maybe it's time to put in that six point rollbar to stiffen the frame
Well Joe -- Your suggestion may be a big vote for Powdercoat - since they hot-tank or dip and coating goes inside the boxed parts too!
Old December 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM

my friend just had his frame and control arms powder coated too it looks GOOD!!!! i paint and it looks better than paint it makes the frame look thicker and im 100% sure it will last longer than paint paint scratchs and chips powder coat is like armor, he only paint 600 for the sandblast and powder coat and 1000 for the work im next in line at the shop, thats only around 2000 2 pop it off the frame, sandblast, powder coat, replace busings and brake lines THATS A DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:19 PM

i have never ben a fan of powder coat for car frames. for me it looks to perfect. for durability, it is incredible stuff. i build 3 and 4 wheelers and always do the frames with powder coat. if it is done right and prepped good by the sand blaster you will never get a crack from flex of the frame. Boldsmobile is right on the money as far as touching up scratches and welding. it is very hard to scratch it but when it happens you will always know it is there. if the powder coater don't do a good job, you will hate life after it is together. it can start flaking off after it gets chipped. the more harsh the sand blaster is with it the better the powder coat sticks.
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:45 PM
No it's not a parts car!!

Does anyone know of a good powdercoater in the Chicago area
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM

I just don't like the 'orange peel' effect of powdercoating.
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:08 PM
GM Enthusiast

I'm sure powdercoating is more durable than painting but I prefer painting just for ease of touchup and cost. I have done 2 frame off restorations on my own cars and I can tell you the paint still looks great 15 years later. 1st frame off I sprayed the frame with PPG satin black urethane single stage. Last one I did I used Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black. Both came out great.
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM

Schne442Does anyone know of a good powdercoater in the Chicago area
I used J&J Powder Coating in Zion. Their phone # is 847-731-3131. I also have a friend with an industrial sand blaster that does frames on his roticery.
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by sx455raidercelticfan
my friend just had his frame and control arms powder coated too it looks GOOD!!!! i paint and it looks better than paint it makes the frame look thicker and im 100% sure it will last longer than paint paint scratchs and chips powder coat is like armor, he only paint 600 for the sandblast and powder coat and 1000 for the work im next in line at the shop, thats only around 2000 2 pop it off the frame, sandblast, powder coat, replace busings and brake lines THATS A DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!
were is this ?
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:42 AM

do you get rust bubbles under the powder coating i know on snowmobiles they powder coat them and is tough but will blister from within ?
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM

If the part isn't perfectly clean, the powder coating might bubble up. I would paint the frame with black paint from Tractor Supply, the stuff is almost bullet proof..
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
If the part isn't perfectly clean, the powder coating might bubble up. I would paint the frame with black paint from Tractor Supply, the stuff is almost bullet proof..
I have a quart of that Tractor Supply "Catapillar" Black semi-gloss that I used to paint my rotisserrie with. It did a great job and looks pretty tough! Maybe I will use it on top of my epoxy primer if I do decide to paint. from what i am reading here, i think I will get the frame "dipped" in hot tank to get inside clean after sandblast and then sparay with epoxy primer, trying to get all inside boxed areas, and then paint with wither Tractor Supply or Eastwood Chassis Black. Sounds like Eastwoods is good stuff!
Thanks, Tweed
Old December 28th, 2010, 08:18 AM

I've used Eastwood's Chassis Black, and when touching up it's never a perfect match. FYI, a few years ago, one of the restoration shops said they were using Tractor Supply black mixed with a little laquer thinner, said it made the paint even harder, and dried fast..
Old December 30th, 2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Schne442
Does anyone know of a good powdercoater in the Chicago area
i know this is not to close to Chicago but Gale Enameling in Indianapolis will do a frame that is sandblasted before it gets there for $200 for a single stage powder and $300 for a powder coat color that needs a clear over it. i have them do all my powdercoat work and is very good.

Gale Enameling 317-838-7474
you will have to leave your number and they will call you back.
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak
I used J&J Powder Coating in Zion. Their phone # is 847-731-3131. I also have a friend with an industrial sand blaster that does frames on his roticery.

Thanks.....
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i know this is not to close to Chicago but Gale Enameling in Indianapolis will do a frame that is sandblasted before it gets there for $200 for a single stage powder and $300 for a powder coat color that needs a clear over it. i have them do all my powdercoat work and is very good.

Gale Enameling 317-838-7474
you will have to leave your number and they will call you back.
That would be a hike... but for that money can you say ROAD TRIP!!!!
Thanks
Gary