General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Totally original vs factory air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2010, 06:52 AM

Totally original vs factory air conditioning

I am beginning restoration on what I believe so far is a totally original 65 Delta 88 2dr hardtop 425 2bbl 4speed manual transmission.

I have available a complete factory air conditioning system including dash board, controls and all ducting from a wrecked 65 Delta 88.

How would the value of my "original" car be affected if I added the ac? Proper year, make, etc. but not original to the car as it left the factory?

Your thoughts, please.
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:31 AM
car guy

If done right it will not hurt and might even help the value a little.
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Registered

x2
If done right is the key.
People prefer AC on older cars more often than not anymore so it shouldn't hurt the value IMO.
Was there an AC firewall and a regular firewall on those? Meaning would you have to section in a section of AC car firewall with the correct opening deals or will it bolt on??
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM

And will the dash need cutting to add vents like the A-bodies?
If done professionally just like the factory did it, it should not hurt the car's value, esp. since your model was not a super-rare, $100k+ auction star.
as mentioned, adding AC should make it more desirable.
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Oldsdruid

425 2bbl 4speed manual transmission
Maybe not an auction star, but a damn sight rarer than most of the tripe that crosses the blocks....

Do the factory A/C components right and you shouldn't hurt value. I don't know of anything that said you couldn't get A/C and 4-speed together on the big cars.

Besides, it was commonly dealer installed back then. Some dealers used ARA components, others used the factory add-on packages.
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Certainly dealers installed A/C units. I bought a truck in 1980 that I had the dealer install a factory A/C kit. So, I would think it would add value to have A/C. I know I would prefer the one with A/C if making a choice between two cars, everything else being equal.
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:43 AM

The firewall would have to be sectioned, but I have one. I also have a complete dash with vents and controls installed. Also all of the original ducting is there and in good shape on the donor car.
I am still researching how rare this 4 speed car really is. I suppose that will be the final determining factor. Although it is a long, long, road before it is done, I just like the idea of driving to wherever with a little ac comfort!
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Ben

I would not even consider retrofitting the factory air conditioning to a non-factory air car. The factory units were big, heavy, ugly, and inefficient, and will require serious modification to the firewall & dash. Big no-nos for any car you care about keeping original- especially if its rare setup the way it is.

Get a modern aftermarket unit that can be hidden under the dash, and remove and store all the original heater stuff.

Nobody would question this addition to a classic car, especially if done cleanly. If done right the only indication you even have ac installed would be the presence of the modern compressor.

The nice thing is it would be easy to remove it and restore to original again if the next owner wanted. Not so much if you cut up the firewall.

My $.02
Old December 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Hadn't thought about that!

Good points, all. Rambow, I hadn't considered aftermarket, figured that may be a no no, but sounds as if you have a good point.

So far I am finding my car to be pretty original. The question now relates to the first: how rare is it? Can I replace the exhaust manifold and make it a dual exhaust car? Do I absolutely have to go back with factory color? (Turquoise Mist) Or would another color be acceptable as long as it was offered that year. Same for the interior?

I'm leaning towards original on everything even though I'm not crazy about Turquoise Mist! But I would like to have true duals and ac. Thoughts anyone?
Old December 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Well the car is rarer than a 66 w30, 68 or 69 H/O and the like. Probably not more desireable though. Wmachines has a list of known B body cars with 4spds. If I remember there may only be 1 or 2 other 65 Delta's with a 4spd known. I think one is actually a 4dr. For me I would keep EVERYTHING as it was when new. Come resell day that would be a high selling factor especially to a purist. My Opinion only. Things like a 4bbl and dual exhaust are easily put back so that would not be a no no and performance guys would welcome those changes.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; December 14th, 2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: more info
Old December 14th, 2010, 04:33 PM

There was a '65 "88" at the Olds 105th in Lansing, it had the Starfire engine and factory 4spd, was driven there from California by the original owner...cool car.
Old December 14th, 2010, 04:37 PM

I wouldn't put in AC. Big, heavy, uses R12, not original so won't add value to the purist. If it is just a driver, it doesn't matter, except that R12 is hard to get and aftermarket units use readily available refrigerants like R134.
Old December 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by lansing
Good points, all. Rambow, I hadn't considered aftermarket, figured that may be a no no, but sounds as if you have a good point.

So far I am finding my car to be pretty original. The question now relates to the first: how rare is it? Can I replace the exhaust manifold and make it a dual exhaust car? Do I absolutely have to go back with factory color? (Turquoise Mist) Or would another color be acceptable as long as it was offered that year. Same for the interior?

I'm leaning towards original on everything even though I'm not crazy about Turquoise Mist! But I would like to have true duals and ac. Thoughts anyone?
Here in lies the rub with Rare & originality.
At what point does maintaining its heritage does it start to lose its cool factor for you.

On this particular car, resale value probably isn't a huge deal, its not a particularly high dollar car if left original vs lightly modified- so it becomes a taste thing.

Some people could not sleep if they changed ANYTHING that was not easy to put back.

Others will pick and choose factory options and colors as if they were ordering the car new...

And still others will do things however they choose, drivetrain/paint/interior/wheels (full on customs)

Everyone falls somewhere on that spectrum. Where you fall is between you & your car to decide.

Remember you are building the car for YOU, not for the next owner to enjoy- so don't make a decision that you will regret later just for the purposes of resale value. (like painting it the stock color if you hate it).

Flip side of that, it sounds like you enjoy the fact it is fairly rare and original... So don't change things that would take away from your ability to enjoy the rare & original aspects of the car.
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:15 AM

Thanks for the input guys.
After having a night to sleep on it, I am definately leaning toward totally original. I've never owned a car this close to original already, and it's kinda rare, so original it is.
I can always change my mind later.......right??
But still, I don't think I will change anything that couldn't easily be changed back to original.
If this one goes well, maybe a little hot rod with the extra engine I have...........best of both worlds!
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Past Administrator

RAMBOW you have an excellent point. I know most don't have lots of moola floating around least of all me. But each car fulfills a purpose and most of us own at least ONE Oldsmobile and probably could squeak by with two so why not have one for the purist in you and one for the rebel and do with it what you wish.
Old December 16th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Here it is, such as it is.....
[/IMG]
Old December 16th, 2010, 01:53 PM

Whoooopss...

Thought I knew how to post pics!! Let me try that again.
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:20 PM
"me somebody" site member

From your recently posted album photos, the car sure looks like a factory 4 speeder to me. Pretty cool. I for one would love to see a clearer shot of the engine.
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM

I would say your car is legit as well....I see no power brakes either.....keep that in the back of your mind when ya are tooling around town. Not scarey if everything is up to snuff but I did find myself with my butt off the seat and leg taking a stance on the brake pedal more than once!
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Finally able to get the glove box open without damaging it, and found the owners manual which had the Protect-O-Plates still glued in.
I sent these #s to Kurt via email and he confirms that it is a factory 4 speed. This is indicated by an "S4" on the plate. YEA!!

I'll get some better pics, took those with my cell phone.

Will start removing interior and front clip this weekend and will add some more pics.

Oldsmaniac! There you go again!! Making me question my decisions!!!! I had already, like Oldsguy had mentioned, been reconsidering the dual exhaust, and just save the original manifold. And now this! (Donor car has power brakes with a fairly new master cylinder)

Guess I'll just go with "it's in the teardown stage and exact rebuild is still undecided.....sort of ......well.....maybe just a little............man, that would be nice!.............."

Seriously guys, thanks for all your input and knowledge. I am sure there will be many questions to come as I get started.

Last edited by lansing; December 17th, 2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: misspoke
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:07 AM

Oldsmaniac! There you go again!! Making me question my decisions!!!! I had already, like Oldsguy had mentioned, been reconsidering the dual exhaust, and just save the original manifold. And now this! (Donor car has power brakes with a fairly new master cylinder)
I think I would have to have at least dual exhaust. It will increase performance with power you will be able to feel. The 4bbl carb does not really give great gains till after 50MPH in my opinion. As for the brakes I think the standard shift cars used a smaller diameter brake booster than the regular automatic cars. Maybe this was due to clutch rod interferance so the one from you parts car may not work. Do not fear the manual brakes, just be aware and get everything renewed on the braking system.
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:29 AM

(Donor car has power brakes with a fairly new master cylinder)
One thing: I do not think the power brake booster from an automatic car will work in your car. Manual shift cars used a special booster with a bracket riveted to the back to locate it a few inches away from the firewall. This allows clearance for the rod from the clutch pedal to the z-bar to pass through the firewall. The "sitck" booster may also be narrower in diameter. I am unaware of any available "interchange" unit (though I suppose one may exist...may be tough).
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:36 AM

Not a great pic, but this shows the booster mounted a few inches ahead of the firewall:

This one (from a different car) shows thje booster and relocation bracket from the other side (and I think you can just make out the clutch rod running under it, to appreciate the issue):

One last pic, from my own car (click to expand to fullsize):

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; December 18th, 2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old December 18th, 2010, 07:05 AM

Pictures!

Sorry, they're crappy cell phone pics, more later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
425 2.jpg (417.1 KB, 10 views)
clutch-thrttle linkage.jpg (344.7 KB, 9 views)
emblem delta 88.jpg (233.9 KB, 7 views)
muncie floor shifter.jpg (266.1 KB, 9 views)
olds profile.jpg (284.5 KB, 10 views)
Old December 19th, 2010, 10:09 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I prefer my cars with air conditioning.

Something to think about if your planning on driving the car. I went on the Cobe Cup cruise this past summer.It was a miserablely hot day. I noticed quite a lot of people without air in their cars and they looked miserable,sweating and fanning themselves with hand held paper,no smiles. I was riding along with the air on,comfortable and cool as a cucumber in a fridge,smiling from ear to ear.