General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Stock oil pan depth and oil pump ?'s

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM

Question Stock oil pan depth and oil pump ?'s

I bought an oil pan for my 330 on eBay and it came with a HV Meiling oil pump and pickup. The pickup looks like the "stock" depth on Mondello's website (It looks exactly like it)

I want to check to be sure it's a stock pan or a "Toro" pan like the guy said (no hump in the pan, but it looks like it may have been banged out) so I can see if I have the right pick-up.

also if this is a stock 4 quart pan, how hard is it to swap the guts out of the HV pump to a regular pump? What makes it HV anyway? gears? spring?
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
InfoJunkie

A good picture is worth a thousand words. There are only 3 moving parts in an oil pump, 2 gears and a shaft. HV moves more oil between the gears. The only problem I can forsee using the HV pump would be pumping the pan dry on a very long trip at high RPM(know someone who did it). Others here have used the HV pump with no ill effects:no need to change it. The spring is for the pressure.
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM

I want to avoid sucking the pan dry.

I've read that the Meilling HV pump moves 20% more oil than the regular duty pump, so in theroy, a 5 quart pan should be fine since a 5 quart is roughy 20% larger that 4 quart (I would go with 6 or 7 quarts before using a HV pump.

My 330 motor will be a street/strip motor. Althought no real build-up now, just a freshen-up and I'm just going to drive it around and have fun with it. That's what I was doing with my 350

My 350 revved to about 4600 RPM's at the finish line
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:53 PM
InfoJunkie

If you have a 4quart pan off a motor put 4 quarts of fluid in it then put 5 quarts in the new pan you got. The level (distance from pan rail to top of fluid) should be the same or close.
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:24 PM

That's what I was going to do.

4 quarts is a gallon and I will have a empty gallon container when I run out of milk
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I have a stock pump I could trade you for the HV.
I have a 7 quART PAN, so no worries by me.
Old November 30th, 2010, 06:14 PM

I have both the stock and HV. I'm going to hang on to the HV for later.
Old October 19th, 2015, 07:02 PM

Just put the engine together oops that freakin scraper thingi sittn in the bottom of the box motor been sittn about a month on the stand is that scraper a big thing just askin
Old October 19th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1788cutty
Just put the engine together oops that freakin scraper thingi sittn in the bottom of the box motor been sittn about a month on the stand is that scraper a big thing just askin
You resurrected a thread from 2010, so I HOPE the motor is together by now...
Old October 20th, 2015, 01:43 PM

The pedantic engineer in me wants to point out something even though the thread is old.

A pump that displaces 20% more fluid per revolution is not "fixed" with a 20% bigger pan. It will run out of oil at precisely the same amount of time as the original pump and the original pan, assuming that the return paths aren't doing something stupid. Now, if you've fixed the oil channels to flow more oil, and the oil will return at a flowrate of the same rate as the pump as well, then you have steady state operation.

But that's just a fluid dynamics perspective. Where does an Olds V8 stick all its oil under full throttle? Up in the heads?
Old October 20th, 2015, 03:29 PM

Bear in mind as we resurrect this ghost thread that because the OP "can" pump more oil into the engine does not mean it "will". Excess oil flow greater than that which flows thru the engine pops the pressure relief valve open and then is allowed back to the pump inlet.

The HV pump is capable of moving more oil per revolution due to larger diameter and/or longer gears. Typically longer. So, no, the guts will not directly interchange with each other.