General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

is a olds really worth keeping all olds?

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:39 PM
Crazy Canuck

As most have said, if you can afford it, keep it Olds. If you can't it is always better to see this beauties driven then rusting.

Does it take more time to find parts? Sure but it is worth it and that is half the fun.

Wayne
Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:53 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Die hard Olds guy checking in...............If you want Chevy power buy a Chevy,They are cheap and all over the place,A LS1 Conversion is still cheating as far as Iam concerned.......For limited funds you can make Oldsmobile engines as fast..........ask the Mustangs and Camaros I have been embarassing for the last 5 years........They might even have more HP than me but you still have to put power to tire to ground......My car is set up killer for street or strip...............
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM

SO here's my .02
Keep it original if your car is a limited edition 442, Hurst Olds, or Convertible
If your car is a run of the mill dime a dozen Cutlass SX or F85 , then don't worry about it.

LOL!!!! cutlass sx's are not a dime a dozen!! why would you post that??do you even know what a cutlass sx is?? i dont think f85's are a dime a dozen either! a regular cutlass S 350/350 and a regular cutlass supreme 350/350 there run of the mill-a dime a dozen
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:58 PM

BTW RocketRaider, I'm just funnin witcha.
I can respect you don't like technology. That's cool, it's your thing to stay true to form.
Originally Posted by rocketraider
Mmph. With less than 3000 total SX built over 2 years, I'm waiting for the SX guys to bust your ***** on this one.
"The Cutlass SX cars are valued at 20-25 percent more than a regular Cutlass Supreme model."
Taken DIRECTLY from the SX455 website main page.
http://www.sx455.com/

So if the average Cutlass Supreme doesn't sell for a whole lot, is 20-25% that much more??
I like to use my Olds "O" Axle on this one because it's rare, but not desirable.
(In fact I can't GIVE the damn thing away......I've been trying)
Would my dime a dozen Cutlass be worth MORE with that rear end in
it over a beefy Chevy TRUE 12 bolt?? Ummm......no.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Just to clarify, the Rocket Block is actually an SBC casting with an Olds rocket logo (hence the term) designed initially for NASCAR and drag race teams using "corporate" motors in Cutlass bodies back when Olds was actually sponsoring drag race teams in the 1980s.

Originally Posted by sx455raidercelticfan
LOL!!!! cutlass sx's are not a dime a dozen!! why would you post that??do you even know what a cutlass sx is?? i dont think f85's are a dime a dozen either! a regular cutlass S 350/350 and a regular cutlass supreme 350/350 there run of the mill-a dime a dozen
Forgive my slip of the tongue on that one.
What I meant by dime a dozen, it's not a Hurst Olds or rare optioned 442 which bring in the $$$$.
SX was a limited run, but they don't bring in the coin like those do.

When someone asks "Is it WORTH it keeping it all Oldsmobile"
I take that as a question of Return on Investment or $$$$
Is it worth spending $1000 on a VERY overpriced small part for their car if it's not a highly
sought after vehicle VS say a Shelby GT500 rare Mustang missing that final critical element.

Example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGdqTntP0qg

That's a pretty sweet looking 1971 Cutlass SX and it's only going for $13,500.
Hardly a car I'd worry about changing if that's all it's going for in that nice of condition.

It's strictly my opinion. We don't have to agree.
My 1970 is still 95% Oldsmobile......for now. LOL

Last edited by Aceshigh; November 24th, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old June 6th, 2012, 12:41 PM

And in turn the other GM makes used Oldsmobile engines too. Circa 94,000 out of 109,000 Trans Ams in 79 had 403 Olds. Many California emission cars had to use Olds engines because Olds could pass emissions and Pontiac could not (77 and 78 California Trans Ams got a head start on the 403s.) Even Caprice wagons used 307 Olds engines from 86-90 along with 86-90 rear drive Cadillacs. Last GM carbuerated engine the 307.

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
BTW, I'm in denial about the dark days when Olds used Chevy and Buick engines.
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:40 PM

The DRCE was the Olds redesign of the BBC. The resultant Olds DRCE block had rocket emblems cast onto it, and the Olds bell housing pattern.

Last edited by Run to Rund; June 6th, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old June 6th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Administrator

My .02, and don't get me wrong, I respect all opinions here!

I agree with everyone on here that Olds parts are not that hard nor expensive to find.

I also highly agree with Aces, to the point of... It's the car owners choice on how and what he/she wants out of their particular ride. As always, I can appreciate a nice original specialized group of muscle cars. But hey I'm a hotrodder, I can also appreciate what someone created in their own garage.

However, his is a 1987 Salon, just a nice older car nothing special. Plain old dime a dozen cars make a great blank canvas. Do what you want with it! I personally would not care what others think.

Last edited by oldcutlass; June 6th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old June 6th, 2012, 04:40 PM

If you think its a good idea to drop a SBC in an Olds, sell the Olds and buy a Chevy for your swap