General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Check your oil filter BEFORE you buy it!!

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2010, 10:42 PM

Check your oil filter BEFORE you buy it!!

I met up with my mom this morning (thursday) to buy paint for her bathroom, one of my many project next week while I'm on vacation. I take notice that she's colse to the oil change date on her Cavalier. So I say we have to go to the other plaza to go to Walmart and buy oil (I know as anti Walmart that I am, I do buy my motor oil there)

Anyway, we are in the store and we get to the auto section, I start to pick the 4 quarts off the shelf and I said to my mom. "we shoulda got a cart" so she said that she'll go get one and I when over to look at the oil filters.

I ALWAYS check the rubber ring on the filter. I got a few bad Nissan ones from the dealership for the ex wifes car (when we were still together, in fact the quality of the Nissan filters was so bad, I speical ordered the ACDelco filters for her car)

I open the box, the rubber ring was fine, BUT THERE WAS OIL IN THE FILTER!!! just a little bit, but enough to tell that it was a USED filter!!! So I check the next one, WHICH ALSO HAS OIL IN IT. Checked a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and an 8th and guess what, yup they all had traces on oil.

I couldn't beileve it!! One is bad enough, but 8!! I didn't check anymore after that.

This is not made up. I wouldn't beileve it if somebody else told me this. That's just plain crazy!!
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
I met up with my mom this morning (thursday) to buy paint for her bathroom, one of my many project next week while I'm on vacation. I take notice that she's colse to the oil change date on her Cavalier. So I say we have to go to the other plaza to go to Walmart and buy oil (I know as anti Walmart that I am, I do buy my motor oil there)

Anyway, we are in the store and we get to the auto section, I start to pick the 4 quarts off the shelf and I said to my mom. "we shoulda got a cart" so she said that she'll go get one and I when over to look at the oil filters.

I ALWAYS check the rubber ring on the filter. I got a few bad Nissan ones from the dealership for the ex wifes car (when we were still together, in fact the quality of the Nissan filters was so bad, I speical ordered the ACDelco filters for her car)

I open the box, the rubber ring was fine, BUT THERE WAS OIL IN THE FILTER!!! just a little bit, but enough to tell that it was a USED filter!!! So I check the next one, WHICH ALSO HAS OIL IN IT. Checked a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and an 8th and guess what, yup they all had traces on oil.

I couldn't beileve it!! One is bad enough, but 8!! I didn't check anymore after that.

This is not made up. I wouldn't beileve it if somebody else told me this. That's just plain crazy!!
I'll be going there tomorrow to check the gas filters...I need some gas for the wifes car.
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:16 AM

Lol^^^
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:09 AM

lol now thats funny!
Old November 12th, 2010, 02:34 AM

So I went to Carquest to get an oil filter for the Aurora and went home and changed the oil and filter. After I started the car I checked underneath and there was oil all over the place. Tightened the filter more with big adjustable pliers and added oil and ...same thing...oil all over. So I took the filter off and back to the store. They replaced, it but not the oil The thread was not complete to the end of the mounting plate...so the gasket would not seal..
Old November 12th, 2010, 05:01 AM

Ouch... Never had these kinda issues before, but good to check anyway.
I DO precheck the AC delco ones now to make sure they are not the newer style cheapie versions (8 small holes and an E at the end of the part number.)
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:55 AM

I had a similar situation years ago when I was just starting to do work on my own cars. I had started off using Fram filters before switching to Delco. I picked one up at the dealer and the sold me a PF25 for my 76 98. If memory serves me correctly, I believe the Fram part # is PH25 so I assumed it to be correct (figured there was some standard). I didn't realize until there was oil spewing all over my car and garage that the o-ring was a different size and it obviously did not seal. I went back to the dealer and as stated above, they replaced the filter, not the oil. Since that day I've been buying my (PF24) Delco filters in bulk online!
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Are you sure it was actually oil? Because I recall reading an oil filter review that was hacking apart all different kinds of filters to see what they look like inside and it mentioned that one filter maker has started putting some sort of brown "goop" in their filters that is supposed to do something "beneficial" for the filtering process. The reviewer was skeptical saying that he didn't see how the goop was going to stay in the filter and it would likely just get mixed into the oil very rapidly.
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Coltonis
one filter maker has started putting some sort of brown "goop" in their filters that is supposed to do something "beneficial" for the filtering process. The reviewer was skeptical saying that he didn't see how the goop was going to stay in the filter and it would likely just get mixed into the oil very rapidly.
The fram high mileage POS... It had a little cannister of goop right in front of the big threaded hole. Very evident when you look in. It was supposed to dissolve slowly, but we can imagine what would happen if chunks broke off and got stuck in tiny oil holes. Avoid these like the plague they said...
Old November 12th, 2010, 03:31 PM

I've used Fram for some time without any troubles. Perhaps I should change, I haven't heard much good about them.
Old November 12th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Senior Moment Member

That is **** from china that is stuck in the filters. Actually.
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:16 PM

I just checked my stock. No goop, no oil. All is normal.
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Wix for my big truck, for my little truck and my Olds. Can't go wrong imo. Napa is my friend.
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:07 AM

I bought a re-usable oil filter years ago and so far i'm glad i did.