General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Traffic Violation Stories

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Traffic Violation Stories

Inspired by '76 Regencies thread on longest trips, thought it would be fun to hear some stories on people's traffic violations received in their Oldsmobiles....

My (only) Olds incident was last Christmas - day after - coming back from Home Depot with my oldest daughter (8)... was at a stoplight in my '70 455 Cutlass, and some high-school age kids (hard to tell anymore, I'm 40) were next to me in a rice-burner egging me on to light them up...

This was before I put a posi rear end in the car, and I did a massive one-wheel burn out that lasted approx 10-15 seconds + an massive EPA-alert cloud of smoke... scaring my daughter (and the dog)

Unfortunately there was a cop in the cluster of traffic behind me, who pulled me over and gave me a $550 Negligent Driving Ticket

I planned on keeping it on the down-low, which lasted exactly 15 seconds after we got home and my daughter gleefully spilled the beans to my wife, who just shook her head...

After $500 to a ticket attorney + an online agressive driving course, got the reduced to $125 "Inattentive Driving"+ off my record

But I'd love to hear what has happened to some of ya'll in "moments of weakness & immaturity".....
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Well, this past summer I was driving my W-30 and came upon a cop directing traffic off a road that being repaired......as I was stopped next to him he said "cool, nice car" and then he said "how much rubber can you leave".....and so I obliged him!
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM

It was 1980 and I owned my 442 for less than a year. I was driving between Calgary and Edmonton and was doing 110 mph where the posted speed is 70 mph (actually 110 K/hr). It was about 9 pm and I see the red lights (at the time) behind me and pulled over. The RCMP officers got out and each one came to a door.

The cop on my side asked if I knew how fast I was going. I said about 110 miles per hour. He look up from his ticket book and said 'That's right". The other cop asked "What do you have under the hood?" "455" I said. The cop with the ticket book said "I suppose you could have given us problems if you really wanted to." I said, "I can beat your motor, but not your Motorola." to which he chuckled. "Why so fast?" "I work tomorrow morning and just want to get home." I said. He said "At the speed you were going it's a $300 fine but I've dropped you into the lower category showing 105 , where the fine is $100." I thanked him and he said smiling, "I know it's a Rocket, but keep it under light speed OK?" OK! Don't know why he lowered the fine but I was happy he did. They weren't much older than me.
Old November 5th, 2010, 06:11 PM

When I was 17 my 1st car was 69 Cutlass S and I can't even remember how many speeding tickets I got in that car so many that over 16 years later I almost did not get a job as a cop, the background investigator said I had about 18 moving violations.......and mind you I had a clean record for the past 10 or so.

Needless to say I use a fair amount of discretion on traffic violators.
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:16 AM

My ONLY moving violation was from speeding my 86 Cutlass about 20 years ago.
Was coming home from a date, and was not thinking about my speed, nor was I watching for bears.
I was caught going 52 in a 40. No drama or anything.
Took defensive driving to get it off my record and paid the fine - was not too bad.

I cannot say I was a very good driver then - I just made sure that i would not get caught!

I do remember haulling butt in my old Pinto about 20 years ago too. I crested a hill on an interstate doing about 85 in a 60, and passed a cop with his radar gun. I slowed it down and was just ready to pull over. However, he never moved. Not much traffic, either.
I bet he was banging his gun around just thinking it was broke...
I had that thing up to an estimated 105 before - (btwn 2nd and 3rd digit of the odometer).
Yea, not many think they could go that fast but the highway gears helped.
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:44 AM

I got stopped by a college cop near my house doing 84 in a 30.., he asked for my license, went back to his car for awhile, came back and said slow down and have a nice day
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:52 AM

About 18 and driving my '50 98 DeLuxe Hardtop w/dual Smithy's by the park, rapping it out a little bit. Cop pulled me over for "excessive noise". This was a time frame when you named your car, and wrote the name of it on the rear fender, in small block letters. Mine was Hesitation. Cop asked "Why is it called Hesitation"? I replied, "Because it hesitates every time I step on the gas"! (Our band, at the time, had also recorded. on master disc, an instrumental by the same name; obviously, never sold it to a record label). He smiled rather broadly, closed his ticket book, said quit making noise, and drove off.

Last edited by Aron Nance; November 6th, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:56 AM

I was on my way to work one night. I decided to stop at Subway to get something to eat. I took a short cut. I was doing about 55 in a 25. I noticed a cop parked behind the high school. He got behind me before he had a chance to turn on his lights I pulled over. I knew he had me. He let me go without a ticket. He did make it clear that I need to slow down.

Couple of years later, same Subway. I was getting ready to leave and some kid threw fire crackers under my car. I'm not going to repeat I what I told him. Cop heard the fire crackers and pulled me over, he was thinking he heard gun shots and question me. I told him what happened. He was a young cop, so I had to explain it a couple of times before he got it.

Needless to say I don't eat at Subway anymore.
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:12 AM

It was the early 80's. I still had my first Olds, a '68 Ram-Rod clone with 4-speed, slightly built 350, 3.91 one legger rear and Keystone mags (to make it go faster). We hung out on the Berlin Turnpike every Friday and Saturday night. A friend had a '72 Vega with a built 327, B&M shifter, 3.73 gears, and typical Chebbie go fast stuff. I would never race him.
But, this night was different. He pulled alongside me at about 40 mph and I finally said WTH. Slammed the Olds into 2nd and we were off. He nudged ahead when I missed the 2-3 shift. After that it was all Olds until I went over the century mark and backed off. He cut in front of me, lost control and veered into the guard rail, slid down that a few hundred feet and then veered across the road again narrowly missing a bridge abutment. In the meantime, I'm laying on the non power assisted drum brakes stopping straight as an arrow. I finally stopped in a discernible trail of Chebbie poop.
The first cop on the scene asked who the owner of the "old" car was. I stepped forward and volunteered to move my car. He said "no way, we have to take measurements". I apparently left 300+ feet of skid marks that stopped at my tires.
I went to court, was fined $180 (lots of money in 1983), and was ridiculed by the judge for going so fast in an "old" car.
Lesson here is don't street race. Haven't done it since but have occasional fun at the track...shiny side up.
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:30 AM

At the age of 18, just cashed my paycheck from my part time job, I was driving my new 68 Cutlass Supreme on a Chicago street, speeding but I don't remember how fast. Chicago cop puts on the lights and pulls me over. Funny thing, he shut off his lights and requests that I get in the back seat of his squad car. While in the back seat, he is examining my drivers license and says "We're both Italian, and I'd like to settle this right now". I told him I only had a $20.00. (I had two or three actually) So he made change, and gave me back $15.00 and my license.
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Age 18 or 19, driving my 68 Cutlass Supreme to my morning college class, on a Chicago street. I was in the right lane at a stop light, and a 66 maroon chevy biscayne 4 door was on my left. When the light turned green, I pulled away rather quickly and got in front of the chevy. But certainly not a drag race. Seconds later he comes flying past me on the left and sharply cuts me off and forces me to a stop in in the right (parking) lane - cop style. We got out and exchanged some words (I wasn't a smart ***) he punched me in the face. He then proceded to tell me he was a Chicago cop on his way to work and if I wanted to make an issue about it, I could go to the police station, about 3 blocks north. Needless to say, as a young kid, I just got in my car and went to class.

I always regretted not doing something about it.
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM

When I was 20 I had an 80 Cutlass that I has swapped in a stock 1975 350 into. I had 15 x 8" slots (Anson sprint type mags) on the rear and 14 x 7" on the front. The exhaust was the stock system from the 260 that was removed except for a Monte SS style dual exhaust after the cat.

My GF at the time was just wanting me to do a burnout and I knew just the place. There was a strip mall not far from where we were that had a FRESH seal-coat on it (he he) so off we went. I started at one end and left a one legger all the way across the parking lot with a HUGE cloud of smoke. I went behind the fire station and then across the grocery store parking lot to exit on the street and just as I get to the exit I see in my rear-view mirror but a cop coming up from behind the fire station.
Well I ditched into the sub division at light speed and disappeared. I was doing 60+ (not smart at any means) and got back to my friends house and was chilling there.
About 20 minutes later a squad went passed the end of the block, stopped, backed up and came down the street and stopped behind my car. The cop got out and asked whose car it was and I went over to him and we got to talking. He asked me if I had been over at the white hen about 20 minutes ago and I said no that I had been here for the last 3 hours. He then said "don't lie to me, I saw you". With a straight face I lied and said that it wasn't me and had been here for 3 hours.
The Schaumburg police proceeded to HOUND me for the next 3 years. You win some, you loose some.
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:54 PM
bil

When I had my 70 w30,I was moving right along when I met a deputy sherrif going the opposite way.As I went by,he nailed the brakes and lights,I nailed the gas. About a mile up the road I pulled into a parking lot,backed behind a hedge,and watched him blow by.A few minutes later he came back,pulled in,and walked over."I wondered where you went' he said.I acted innocent (as much as possible),and he said he had wanted to stop me to see the car! It seems he had ridden around in one just like it with one of his friends years before.I told him it was the same car,he checked it out,and drove off! I have a lot of dumb luck like that! ---bil
Old November 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM

I saw a nice 69 or 70 Convertible Delta drive past me today I wanted to stop him just to see the car
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Back in 1974 at the age of 18 I got asked by 2 or more Police officers at different traffic stops "What size of Motor do you have in there? My reply: a 455. Their reply: Is That TOO Much Motor for You to Handle? My 70W30 was a Police Magnet. Did any one besides me have problems with water spots on their W30 Hoods? Every time I washed and hand dried my car I drove down the road and the water would trickle towards the windshield from the built in hood pins leaving water spots. My cure for this problem was: Wash Car at a Car Wash close to the nearest HIWAY, Dry Car, get on Hiway and Quickly reach a speed of 120 mph to force water out of Hood Pins and it would dry the water leaving no water spots on my Hood! Phil (W30MAN)

Last edited by W30MAN; November 6th, 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:35 PM

Back in the early 80's, used to go to a place called the"Blue Top" drive in, Hammond, Ind., great cruizin' place. On the way back to S.W. burbs of Chi., we decided to "play around" on the highway. My friend had a 69 cheb SS, 427, tunnel ram 660 cen. squirters,4:11. My 65 442, "mostly" stock, we went from a roll @ 60mph. Eventually, couldn't see the speedo needle. After we backed off, a car rolls up between the 2 of us. Ill state trooper! He's pacing us, then flips on his int. lights, looks at both of us, tips his "hat" to us, and he's gone, whew. What's really strange about the whole thing, is that during our run, there wasn't an off or on ramp the whole time. Where this trooper came from, we had no idea.
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:35 PM

About 30 years ago I was driving in downtown Calgary. There were not many cars on the road as it was sorta late. A 71 or 72 442 stopped at the light beside me and wanted to go. So I siad OK. I thought it was cool that two 442's would race.

The light turned green and my car jumped out. His front bumper was at my passenger mirror. He couldn't pull up and I couldn't pull away. As we approached the next light it turned yellow and then red. I hit the brakes and slid partially into the crosswalk, the guy I was racing hit the gas. A cop was sitting at the cross road waiting for the light to change. He flicked on his overhead lights while pulling into the intersection, pointed his finger at me and went after the other guy. I didn't stick around to see if he was coming back.
Old November 6th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Okay, so it was the last day of the year at our (small northeastern) college, and all my buds at our campus job had just finished up their last shift of the year (or of their ::sniffle:: lives). I'd been off work, so had spent the evening getting plastered and was now completely drunk.

We had about a dozen people in (and on) the '72 Cutlass convertible when we were pulled over about a block from campus on our way to the diner (for a late night snack and some drinks!).

I was legally unassailable. Why? I wasn't driving.

Cop asked my buddy, "Have you been drinking?"

"No sir." (the truth, he hadn't had a drop yet - think I'd let someone drive my car drunk?)

"Is this your car?"

"No sir."

"Whose is it?"

Me (handing over the registration): "Mine, sir, and I AM drunk."

They hauled my poor buddy off to the patrol car and called the sergeant, and he sat there in the back seat, behind the cage, for over an hour, looking VERY unhappy, until the guy with the brethalyser could check him out and sadly tell the others that he was stone cold sober.

They wrote him a ticket for reckless driving and the rest of us walked to the diner.
He was pissed off all night. No sense of humor.

- Eric

[Absolutely true story except for one thing... It was a Skylark. Sorry.]
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:20 PM

I have a few good stories about getting stopped by police, but only one great story in an Oldsmobile.
Somewhere in the late 80's I was a teen with a 72 Cutlass supreme. Bone stock, and a little run down looking.
I pulled out of a driveway, went less than a block down the road and got nabbed by a radar trap.
I wasn't even stepping on it! I decide to go to court and fight it.
The court date comes up, and I go there alone and try to make a case to get it thrown out. My entire defense rested upon getting some old judge who would agree that my old car couldn't move that fast.
"Your Honor" I say nervously, "I pulled out from a driveway less than a block away from the radar trap, and there's no way my old beat up car could possibly accelerate that quickly"
Judge says, " what kind of car were you driving"
I tell him it's an old Oldsmobile. He asks what model, so I tell him it's a Cutlass.
"what's under the hood?" he asks. " A small V8" I reply.

"Let me tell you something son," the judge says, "when I was a young man, I had a Cutlass with a 350 Rocket in it, and that car could fly. I have no doubt yours COULD accelerate fast enough."

He reduced the ticket to the minimum without any points on my license!

It still makes me chuckle when I remember him saying that to me.
Old November 6th, 2010, 08:52 PM

I had three run-ins with the law...sorta, in the US. Two were on the way to Lansing for the 100th.

Number 1
Crossing the border in Sweetgrass, MT. (remember this is pre-911) the border guard let me and another buddy go through. The third guy in our caravan was talking to the border guard when all of a sudden the guard calls me and my buddy back.

Apparently our friend just happen to be the one randomly chosen to get interviewed. He said we were with him and since we were waiting for him close by, they called us back.

One officer asked me a series of questions. No problemo. Then I was asked "Do you support the overthrow of the United States government by assassination or revolution?" I looked the border guard straight in the eye and said "Assassination! Too many people get hurt in revolutions." He looked at the other officer and burst out laughing. He then said "It's a yes or no answer." I smirked as I was kidding, looked at my buddies who were holding back, and said "Oh. Then No."

The guy was smirking and shaking his head. "Alright, get out of here. You're not going to sell those cars are you?" "No sir" "OK, get lost.......assassination."

Number 2
The next incident happened after overnighting in Tinley Park, IL (Chicago). Kathy DeLorenzo of Oldsmobile stated that the next stop was Lansing. I called her on the CB as a few guys were wondering why a straight drive. I explained that there were quite a few of us with 455 powered cars that could not make Lansing in one shot. She was in an Intrigue but a number of us were driving 442's. She explained with 165 cars in the caravan, there wasn't a gas station big enough to accommodate all of us stopping at once. We'd have to get gas on our own.

We had crossed into MI and I radioed the guy behind me (Kevin from CAL) to save my spot because I was on fumes. I pulled into this gas station filled up and took off after the caravan. I was doing 100 mph when I passed a State Trooper in the center depression between the east and west bound interstates.

I saw him pull out and start coming my way. He hadn't put his lights on yet, so I just held the speed at 100. A few mile ahead I saw the caravan and radioed Kevin to make room and that I was bringing some state troopers with me. I could hear the chatter on the radio "The Canadian's bringing cops with him."

Kevin backed off and I slipped back into the caravan slowing down to 70. The trooper slowed down also. He and his partner pulled up to me and I saw his hand come up. I thought he was going to pull me over but instead gave me the "thumbs up". He put the lights on and accelerated to the front of the caravan. I thought he was going to stop all 165 cars.

Over the CB I heard Greg Childs say "Ladies and gentlemen, our escort has arrived." They escorted us to Lansing closing down the interstate on ramps until we were past. Once we got to Lansing, the city police took over. Oldsmobile even paid all the tolls - we just rolled on through.

Number 3
The early 80's again. Decided to drive into NY state from Quebec using a back road, not the main Montreal-New York City crossing. Next thing I know a State trooper pulls me (and a girlfriend) over. "Hi, where are you guys headed?" he said. "Lake Champlain" I said "and what is a New York State trooper doing in Quebec?"

"Do you think you're still in Canada?" "Well, I haven't crossed the border yet...so yeah." I said. He asked "Did you see that roadside turn off about 5 miles back?" I said I did. He asked why I didn't stop. I said that I didn't need gas. He said that that was US customs. He asked the usual questions and then said, "Next time, make sure you stop at the border." I said I would and thanked him. Imagine if that happened today? I'd just be getting out now. I would however be a rock cracking expert.

Last edited by 442much; November 6th, 2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old November 7th, 2010, 07:35 AM

Holy crap - didn't expect so many stories when I logged back on - great stories

Looks like a lot of ya'll have gotten away with murder on a few occasions

The story about hiding behind a hedge in the w-30.....classic
Old November 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM

Talking

On July 4, 1993 I gave a Scarbough Maine cop the middle finger!
He was driving a new Chevy Caprice and I , my sivler 1968 Toronado.

Man, he whipped that cruiser in a 180 in no time flat!

You see, on Monday , APRIL 19, 1993 (about 2:15 pm) he gave he a ticket for doing 68 in a 45. He threated me "if I was in that 35mph zone" a a few feet away, he would of put me in jail!
SO in June of 1993, I was in Portland fo rmy case, he he not show up, and the case was thrown out!
The car I was driving, April 1993 was my mom's 1987 Buick Regal T-Type.
My parents sold the Buick, May 2007.

Last edited by toro68; November 8th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
bil

Another time some buddies and I had the w30 over in Lake George (the town,not actually in the lake) I stopped for gas and they were out of high-test.There was a Sunoco station across the 4-lane with 103,so I headed there.The road was wet,so it was kind of a sideways drift across-the only car around was a state police cruiser! I jumped out,undid the hood pins,and started fooling with the carb.The cops pulled alongside and asked 'what was that all about?' "And I don't want to hear it was the return spring!' So I said I had just gotten the car,I was used to a Volkswagen,and this car went sideways whenever I stepped on it!'
He said 'It soinds like it has a cam in it' and I asked 'Oh,is that hard to fix?" The two cops started laughing,and then pointed out the on-ramp to the highway.Get on there ,go at least 20 miles,and don't let me see you in town again for a long time!' Yes,sir,officer,I was going that way next!
Cops today don't have a sense of humor! ---bil
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by Dan K
Inspired by '76 Regencies thread on longest trips, thought it would be fun to hear some stories on people's traffic violations received in their Oldsmobiles....

My (only) Olds incident was last Christmas - day after - coming back from Home Depot with my oldest daughter (8)... was at a stoplight in my '70 455 Cutlass, and some high-school age kids (hard to tell anymore, I'm 40) were next to me in a rice-burner egging me on to light them up...

This was before I put a posi rear end in the car, and I did a massive one-wheel burn out that lasted approx 10-15 seconds + an massive EPA-alert cloud of smoke... scaring my daughter (and the dog)

Unfortunately there was a cop in the cluster of traffic behind me, who pulled me over and gave me a $550 Negligent Driving Ticket

I planned on keeping it on the down-low, which lasted exactly 15 seconds after we got home and my daughter gleefully spilled the beans to my wife, who just shook her head...

After $500 to a ticket attorney + an online agressive driving course, got the reduced to $125 "Inattentive Driving"+ off my record

But I'd love to hear what has happened to some of ya'll in "moments of weakness & immaturity".....
Well, this 40 year old was almost a goner two weeks ago.
I was driving my blue 1999 Ford Escrot ZX2, in my lane, minding my business.
In the oppsite lane, two young punks in a white hopped-up Honda was passing a another car. Mind you these jerks was passing in a left hand turn, and the road is a double yellow line.
AS I see this white speck of a HOnda, JUST AS I pulled into the shoulder, the Honda was in the very spot (if I did not pull over). I know this dude was going over 85 mph (I was at 55 mph).
I know for sure if I did not pull over, there WOULD OF BEEN a head on collision.
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM

I will not name, names. But I knew of somebody, who drove his black 1963 Starfire ragtop, right through the round about at 100+ mph.
This was about 1963/64.
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM

Wow - some great stories here! They make my like sound boring....
Let's keep em coming!!
Old November 8th, 2010, 12:10 AM

I was in that same 80 (I was just a bit nuts when I was younger) and driving on NW hwy (IL 14) in Des Plaines one night and I Had let off slowing for the red light. The light went green when I was doing 15 or so and I punched it crossing the intersection. There was a small rise as I went across so the car lifted up a bit and I spun my right rear a little. I never sped but that spin got me pulled. The cop took my license and ran it. He came back a few minutes later chuckling just a little and said that I was in enough trouble because my licence was set to be suspended in less than 2 weeks according to his computer.
I didn't have the heart to tell him that I had vacated one of the convictions earlier that week and it wasn't gonna happen. I almost busted up after he walked back to his car.
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Driving around San Diego in 1993 trying to teach my wife how to drive in my Cutlass. She kept going left of center and I in the passenger seat kept grabbing the wheel and pulling her back into our lane. I didn't realize a cop was behind us. He pulled us over to check for a drunk driver but when he found out what was going on he told me to get in the drivers seat and get out of there and not to let her drive anymore....ever. Now she has three licenses, one California, one Japanese and one military base license. Kinda scary.
Old January 31st, 2012, 08:28 AM

11-13-1985, I had 2 weeks off for deer hunting. I was living in north Lansing leaving for camp the next day. One of my buds wanted me to meet him at Guss' bar by Motor Wheel for a couple drafts. So against my better judgement, (and bitching girlfriend) off to the bar I went, in my 1980 Cutlass Calais. My bud was off talking to some friends when I sat down at a MS. Pacman table. A biker chic came up and wanted to play with me, (pac man). Soon after her boyfriend and his cronies came in and I was being sent out the door by 3 a**holes. After shouting some choice words at them, I hopped in my Cutlass to take off, and saw them piling into a blue Chevy pick up. Not far down the road they caught up to me, started running into my back bumper, they chased me about a mile and it looked to me like they hit the curb pretty hard, I continued toward my house when headlights were approaching rapidly. I started cutting through side streets and alleys to loose them. Not wanting them to know where I lived I parked a couple block from my house and started running towards my house. Then I noticed red and blue flashing lights everywhere, so I went into a neighbors yard to get home through my backyard and got tackled and beat to sh*t by a couple of Lansing's finest. Ater they were done with me I looked like I went a few rounds with ALI himself. Needless to say, I was LATE for my deer hunting trip. At least I had 2 weeks to get free, and heal before I went back to work.

Last edited by cutlassjim; January 31st, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:43 AM

85 in a 55. Trooper writes the ticket (would be a license suspension) and while handing me the ticket sees my collage criminal justise books on the seat. "Studing CJ?" "Yes, Sir" I say. Gives me the ticket and says good day. I show up in court and judge reams me out about the huge fine and suspension of license..... but in the end says ..... "I have a note from the Trooper to take it easy on you. $40.00 court fee, ticket dismissed"
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:07 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

A few years ago I beating up my rental car on I-10 in a hurry to get to where I was staying.
I saw 110 on the speedometer about the same time I saw a cop behind me. I slowed down to the 70 limit as he cruised up behind me, no doubt checking out the license plate.
Then a Corvette shot past us like we were going backwards, I'd guess 120+ mph. He put on his lights and took off after him, as he went past he gave me a look that said clear as print "you just got damn lucky!".
I was smart enough to remember cops have radios and kept to the limit from then on, a few miles down the road I saw another cop car parked on a bridge, I won't swear he was keeping an eye out for me but I'd take a bet he was.

Roger.
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:11 AM

One time I was offered $80k by a rich Texan to transport Coors light from Texas back to Georgia. My buddy drove the Semi-truck and I drove the "blocker" car. I evaded "Smokey"(slang for Highway patrol) through 3 states with my beautiful professional dancer girlfriend in my brand new Pontiac Trans Am.....

I actually dont have any crazy stories but I thought the plot to "Smokey and the Bandit" would at least get a good laugh!
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:35 AM

Back in the 90's I was cruising 90 in my yellow Cutlass late for work. I didn't see the trooper til he was right beside him. He was stopped on an access road that runs parallel to the road I was on. I had a 455 with headers to turbo mufflers that end before the rearend. I'm sure he heard/seen me so I jumped on it and put it at 120. With 28" tires and 2.73 gears I cruised comfortably for about 4 miles never seeing the trooper. Then zigzagged the rest of the way to work on side roads. I parked that car in my garage for 2 months and drove my other car. I figured it would take the trooper at least 20 seconds to accelerate to my speed and while I was traveling 30 second miles, I'm sure I disappeared quickly. Never heard anything about it.

I also have the story of smoking the tires at an intersection to impress friends all the while a police officer was parked across the street watching. Got a ticket for that one. That was back in the 90's also.
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:04 PM

I didn't enjoy Olds until my 30's, but had a lot of fast Chevy's until then.
I was on Rt.53, going home after partying in the back seat, about 2:30 AM, at about 80MPH. [65 limit, back then]
Saw a Chrysler POS spewing carbon and smoke coming on a ramp - figured it was a 'bar closer' - and wanted nothing to do with him.
Took the BB to about 110, turned on the right turn signal to go E/B 90, and he turned the lights on in the grille!!!
4-wheel metallic brakes worked very well, and I stopped on the bridge, and got out, waiting. [half in the bag!]
He couldn't stop!! Slid past me, sideways, and stopped on an angle!! [f'n rookie]
I walked up to the car, and [really] asked him WTF he was doing?? Told him I thought he was a drunk getting on the X-way, and I just wanted to get home!!
He asked if I knew how fast I was going? I said maybe 75 [never admit anything!!]
He was visibly shaking, and said "mind if I write you a warning ticket, I already called it in??"
Never got out of his car, and I had open alcohol in the back seat!!

Drove a Chicago Yellow Cab after that - many stories, but this was the best!!
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:57 PM

Actually RT53 never had anything over a 55 MPH speed limit, nor did any of the expressways surrounding Chicago. Only interstate highways got a 65 MPH limit when they lifted the 55 MPH federal limit and only in "low population areas". That's how Illinois did it....bastards.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:21 PM

Not me but a good story of my wife's only encounter with the Washington State Patrol.

driving a 1961 Volkswagen on I-5 on a steep incline. As you all know with very low hp your not going very fast. She is in the outside slow lane behind a large truck going even slower. She puts on her turn signal to change lanes looks in her rear view mirror and sees at patrol car way back,
no lights on so she changes lanes. all of a sudden this patrol car is right on her tail slamming on his breaks and swerving around. After a bit he pulls her over. He is so mad when he gets to her window that he is yelling at her and swearing like crazy and saying that he was in pursuit and he was going to give her a huge ticket. Jane stated to him in a calm voice. You did not have
your lights on how was I to know you were in pursuit and going so fast.
The patrol man threw his hat on the ground and stomped on it and just stood there and fumed for a while getting himself under control. He than turned to her and said, lady I am to mad to give you a ticket turned and went back to his can and turned on his lights and siren and took off.
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:14 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

The most memorable for me was the one with my dad in the passenger seat. It was a sunday morning early we went to the local auto parts store to pick up some parts for his truck. We got off the main road onto the side street by our house and my dad had never really been in a car with some power like mine . I came to a dead stop my dad looked over., he knew what was next. I put it in first and let the beast eat. A few blocks later we are on our street and the cop had his lights and pulled up right behind me and puled me over two houses down from ours. The cop looked my car over and asked is this street legal and i have a fuel cell no rear interior and a 6 pt. cage. I say yes it is gave him my info. He came back and lectured me and my dad and told my dad wtf he and I where thinking. My dad looked over and said i was crazy the cop said im letting you off with a warning since you blew by me so fast i couldnt get my radar set up . By far the luckiest i have ever gotten .
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:37 PM

svnt442 - methinks you're a little young to make that statement!
I ran the sewer pipes from Cumberland to Harlem on the Kennedy, as a kid, as they were building it!
Know, for a fact, all the X-ways in Chicago area had speed limits of 65, until that goofy 'gas shortage BS' in the 70's!
Ask an elder!!
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:14 PM
Tony

back in the late 70's i had just put a fresh motor in my 66 f85 cam,headers alum intake and big holley. it was late at nite and my buddy worked at a station outside of our small town on hwy 51 2 lane at that time. well I went up there to top of my tranny(4 speed) with lube things were pretty slow and he was the only one there I didnt have the hood on my car ,no mufflers dimmer switch only had brites and bad ground on tail lights with cracked windsheild the car had be parked for awhile. anyways I tell him watch this! and I pull onto the highway and fry the tires in 1st and 2nd and a car was comming from the otherway 1/4 mile or so you guessed it a stateboy I roar past him with the bright lights my buds standing in the parking lot watching the squad drive through my cloud of smoke and pulls a uturn in the lot to go after me with the reds on. I see him when he went past me that it was a state cop they have no sense of humor I let up on the gas for a sec and then I thought man I am way ahead of this guy so I put it to the woods buried the speedo took the second road to the left(no taillights) and another right to a closed station. He never seen me turn and I sat with my lights off and seen him fly by down the hwy. That was to close I took it home and parked it. I did alot of crazy **** with that car and was pulled over a few times and never got a ticket with it one cop asked me hows she running today? when I did a burnout in front of him then he said try and keep it out of town and went back to his car.Wew
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:21 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

In 1998 I rode in my buddy's van to go look at a 72 delta 88 convertible that was in an ad for $400.

When I got there, the top was down, & the car was filled with a foot of snow.

The seller said we couldn't drive the car because the fuel line was broken, and the top didn't go up. That wasn't in the ad...
Anyway, I immediately went to a local gas station/shop, bought a 5 gallon gas can and some rubber line and clamps.

Went back, popped the hood, and ran the rubber lines into the gas can. It fired up, so I ratchet strapped the gas can to the header panel and left the hood latch on the safety hook. I paid the man, and drove away.

Man, did that carb ever run like crap.......I'll get to that in a minute.

So, I make it about 6 blocks away, and an officer sees my dumb *** driving a convertible full of snow, in 25 degree weather, with 4 gallons of gas strapped to the front, and naturally goes to pull me over.

I was almost at a stop sign, and I had to keep revving the motor in neutral so it didn't die whenever I stopped.

I put it in park, shut it off, and the officer got out of the car. I explained the situation, and he actually let me go! (it was farmland road back then)

Well, when I started the car back up with him next to me, I held my foot down on the accelerator so it would start.....

The muffler exploded with a huge BOOM! and I swear that officer leaped about 15 feet away from the car in one bound.

We had a laugh about it, and I was on my way.

Quick Reply: Traffic Violation Stories