General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Not an Olds related subject, but I have a question

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
50olds98

Not an Olds related subject, but I have a question

Hi, I am fairly new to this forum and recently posted a thread in the parts wanted section. My post was answered by someone who claimed that they had the parts I needed and would sell them to me. However, the person did not have photos, could not describe the parts and wanted payment via Western Union. I quickly realized that the person was trying to scam me and I did not go any further with him. I am trying to find out if this is a common problem among these posts and how I can report this type of scam attempt? Any Ideas?

Thanks
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:43 PM

Report it to a mod like myself by sending one of us a pm with the link to the add and we will take a look at it and decide what action to take
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
50olds98

Hi, thanks for the answer, but, it wasn't an ad that I responded to, it was someone responding to my "parts wanted" post in the forum. I don't know how to send a private message to you, but if you tell me how, I will forward the email correspondance to you for review.

Thanks,
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Past Administrator

Left click on the user name and some options drop down. One of those options is 'send a private message to ________'. Click on that option and a new window appears which allows you to do so. Please send one to Pat or myself immediately so one of us can look into it.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Nothing I can do about his issue as it was not handled on the forum on in the PM section. All of your communication was done with e-mail which we have no control over. I cannot even tell who it is on here as he does not use his screen name
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:41 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Common problem with all these message boards.The scammers search the want ads and reply to the parties interested in obtaining something hoping they can make a quick and easy buck by ripping someone off.
Whenever I place an ad for parts wanted,on any board,not just here.I always get some blokes from overseas responding,claiming to have the part and wanting my money.
Personally,I only deal with people who are regular and long time posters of the board I am visiting.People with a known reputation. If I do deal with someone who is unknown or kindy risky sounding...I tell them they have to send the part first,then I will pay.
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:22 PM
50olds98

Thanks to everyone for the answers. One thing I know now, is that I will not put my email in any posts, that way they will have to at least go through the forum. Well, no harm done anyway, I spotted it as a scam attempt right away, interestingly, when I tracked the IP address, the scammer was located in Palo Alto, California. I at least figured it to be an attempt from overseas somewhere.
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:55 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing; definitely some good Lessons Learned here for us "Newbies" and "Semi-Newbies" anyway! You just never know and can't be too careful; as other members said; IF you don't see an established/familiar name from here or someone w/ an earned good reputation; stay away... Good luck in your quest though!
Originally Posted by bslook1213
Thanks to everyone for the answers. One thing I know now, is that I will not put my email in any posts, that way they will have to at least go through the forum. Well, no harm done anyway, I spotted it as a scam attempt right away, interestingly, when I tracked the IP address, the scammer was located in Palo Alto, California. I at least figured it to be an attempt from overseas somewhere.