General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

No Start, Then Start

Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:06 PM

No Start, Then Start

Today I took my 70 Cutlass out for a ride, stopped for breakfast then started her up, it ran fine but soon died then would not start (turned over fine), no pops-nothing. It was getting gas, coil good and getting 12 volts (tested positive terminal) Still no start. I called for a tow after several tries then gave it one last try and she started right up, cancelled tow. I drove home and it ran fine, I could not reproduce the problem. I checked all connections in the distributor all good. I could not reproduce the no start problem. Can a condensor fail abruptly and intermittently. I had a condensor fail in the past but the engine still started and ran but ran terrible. Points are good and they are clean. Also engine was still cold so it is not heat related.

Any ideas where else to look or test? car runs geat but something today caused a no spark situation.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Assuming the engine cranks with the key? It's probably somewhere between the ignition switch and the coil. Next time it happens check for 12v at the coil. If you need to get it running you can use a jumper wire from the battery to the coil and it will start right up with the key.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A bad condenser could do this.

If you go through the whole rest of the system and can't find anything, then I'd suspect the condenser. If all seems good, and you really want to find out, you can relocate the condenser to the outside of the coil (wire to (-) coil terminal, metal can to ground), carry a spare condenser, and be able to switch them in 2 minutes if the problem occurs again.

- Eric
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:10 PM

Any chance the plug wires or something got wet and just dried out while you were waiting for the tow?

Of course, it might have been something you ate for breakfast.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
of course, it might have been something you ate for breakfast.
^^^^hahahaha
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM

Day was dry, car ran fine just would not fire over after shutting off. While I was waiting for the tow I was trouble shooting. I cancelled the tow.

I checked for 12 volts on the + terminal of coil with key turned on, it was fine. My next step was to jump from the battery but It started. I may carry a length of wire with me. I think I'll replace the condensor, it isn't very old but the last one I had failed the same summer I installed it. Good idea about mounting the condensor.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

New condensers, in general, suck.

In the old BMW motorcycle world, it is often found that an original 40 year old condenser is more reliable than a brand-new one.

I've had a few new ones, both German vehicles and GM, bad out of the box over the years.

- Eric