General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Code Busting

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Code Busting

I've owned my 442 for over 31 years. I'd say I know about 99% of the codes on this car. One code that I don't know is in the trim or data plate. Maybe someone knows?

My tag:

ST76 3AG37LAN430533 BDY
TR 11O X35 35U PNT
02D AN7 26X

The only code I can't decode is 26X. It may be related to the material used on the seats, or trim. I'm just not sure. Anyone know? Thanks.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM

???
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Trying to remember member

Not sure, as I haven't been able to dig into this yet, but a quick google indicates it may be for blue interior trim. http://www.2gta.com/1977ta.html
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Good eye Kurt. My interior is white (seats, door panels, headliner, back seat side trim and piller coverings) as per the code 110, while the rest is code TA3 compaticolour blue (dash, carpets, console, steering column, kick panels, blue mats, pkg tray or shelf and blue horn button on the four spoke steering wheel). I thought TA3 covered all the blue and 110 covered the white.

26X does refer to something blue it seems. I suppose it could be the trim as stated, or just showing a mixed colour, in this case blue with something else (white). I had written in my service manual years ago that it was in reference to blue inside the car but then wondered what TA3 was for, unless there are two codes for the blue . I just have to figure out what the "X" means. I'll find it eventually. Thanks for the link BTW.

Image083.jpg

Image082-1.jpg
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:42 PM

wow, I never noticed the inside of your car before, way nice. It looks mint, and definitely a step up in look and feel of the earlier cars. It sure does have that late 70s early 80s look, I think i wore some outfits that were white and blue with white shoes

Is that a seat belt warning light on top of the dash in the middle? what a cool interior
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
wow, I never noticed the inside of your car before, way nice. It looks mint, and definitely a step up in look and feel of the earlier cars. It sure does have that late 70s early 80s look, I think i wore some outfits that were white and blue with white shoes

Is that a seat belt warning light on top of the dash in the middle? what a cool interior
Thanks. It's more mid-seventies. That is the "Fasten Seatbelt" warning on the dash. If you had the rallye gauges, that's where they put it. Yeah we dressed funny back then, but practicing safe sex - was pulling the bed away from the wall.
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:45 PM

70 W30 Trim Tag Decode Help Needed Under this thread, he shows a build sheet for a '68, though a different year, it lists "26X Big bad blue".
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM

Excuse me, Big 4 Blue. Must have been thinking AMX!!!
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by 442much
Good eye Kurt. My interior is white (seats, door panels, headliner, back seat side trim and piller coverings) as per the code 110, while the rest is code TA3 compaticolour blue (dash, carpets, console, steering column, kick panels, blue mats, pkg tray or shelf and blue horn button on the four spoke steering wheel). I thought TA3 covered all the blue and 110 covered the white.

26X does refer to something blue it seems. I suppose it could be the trim as stated, or just showing a mixed colour, in this case blue with something else (white). I had written in my service manual years ago that it was in reference to blue inside the car but then wondered what TA3 was for, unless there are two codes for the blue . I just have to figure out what the "X" means. I'll find it eventually. Thanks for the link BTW.

If you ever feel the need to "donate" that thing I'd be glad to give it a good home next to a 70 442.
I used to own a 76 Salon and absolutely loved that car except for the rear bumper that fell off.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
If you ever feel the need to "donate" that thing I'd be glad to give it a good home next to a 70 442.
I used to own a 76 Salon and absolutely loved that car except for the rear bumper that fell off.
LOL. My bumper is the original. It has been rechromed but luckily it's still there. I have to get the front re-chromed, but it looks good and the car is not a show car. I may drive it to Reno for the OCA show since it's only a province and a state away from me.

You have to remember that up here, interiors last a lot longer than the ones in California just because the sun is at a different angle. While it does get hot, it doesn't stay hot all summer. It averages around 75-80F. I'll go to junkyards looking for parts and see cars there that have showroom interiors. Since we dont get that much snow in Alberta (like the East) they throw mostly sand on the roads. So the cars here last longer although nothing the AZ cars. but longer than most. It's colder here than the East, but then cold doesn't destroy cars.

Since I bought the car when I was young, I didn't have the money to keep fixing it up, so I took care of it. That interior is original except for the driver's a$$ cushion, and I got the material from the junkyard. I still have upholstery left over. All the fenders, quarters, doors are original. I collected parts in the 80's and have extra's, so you won't see me buying parts for this car on ebay anytime soon.

Thanks for the offer, but it looks like the 442 and Aurora will share a room this winter.

Last edited by 442much; September 14th, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
70 W30 Trim Tag Decode Help Needed Under this thread, he shows a build sheet for a '68, though a different year, it lists "26X Big bad blue".

Thanks man. That's helpful info!
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 442much
LOL. My bumper is the original. It has been rechromed but luckily it's still there. I have to get the front re-chromed, but it looks good and the car is not a show car. I may drive it to Reno for the OCA show since it's only a province and a state away from me.

You have to remember that up here, interiors last a lot longer than the ones in California just because the sun is at a different angle. While it does get hot, it doesn't stay hot all summer. It averages around 75-80F. I'll go to junkyards looking for parts and see cars there that have showroom interiors. Since we dont get that much snow in Alberta (like the East) they throw mostly sand on the roads. So the cars here last longer although nothing the AZ cars. but longer than most. It's colder here than the East, but then cold doesn't destroy cars.

Since I bought the car when I was young, I didn't have the money to keep fixing it up, so I took care of it. That interior is original except for the driver's a$$ cushion, and I got the material from the junkyard. I still have upholstery left over. All the fenders, quarters, doors are original. I collected parts in the 80's and have extra's, so you won't see me buying parts for this car on ebay anytime soon.

Thanks for the offer, but it looks like the 442 and Aurora will share a room this winter.
LOL. Well I'm actually from Chicago even though I currently reside in CA.
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by svnt442
LOL. Well I'm actually from Chicago even though I currently reside in CA.
That's OK. I'm actually from Montreal though I currently live in Sherwood Park (Suburb of Edmonton).
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Hi!

I'm new to the forums but I saw your post and when I examined your cowl tag info I almost fell out of my chair! It's almost the same as mine aandI have none of mine decoded. Can you help me?
ST 76 3AG37 LAN29239 BDY
TR 110 X35 35u PNT
110 AN7 26X
Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by BlackSnshine442
I'm new to the forums but I saw your post and when I examined your cowl tag info I almost fell out of my chair! It's almost the same as mine aandI have none of mine decoded. Can you help me?
ST 76 3AG37 LAN29239 BDY
TR 110 X35 35u PNT
110 AN7 26X
ST76 - 1976
3 - Olds Division
A - body type
G - Cutlass S
37 - hardtop Coupe
LAN - Lansing production
29239 plant body no
TR (trim) 110 - white interior
AN7 - I believe is swivel bucket seats
X35 - should be silver lower with dark blue 442 emblems
35u - matching dark blue upper color
26X - ??

Where you have 110 in the 3rd line it should have a build month/week - not 110

Does your car look like the Kens?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2057807_4_full.jpg (46.5 KB, 96 views)
Old October 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM

Talking Thank you Allan!

That was alot of important info you gave me and I'm so grateful! I have a few photos in an album on this site and yes, my car does look like Ken's...however, the 2nd owner either had it repainted or did it himself many years ago and according to the 3rd owner, it was painted exactly how it was originally. I don't believe so because the lower color is white not silver. It looks kinda nice white but my plans for it are to have everything restored to it's original color etc. I plan on keeping it stock except for a subdued sound system. Then again...some ceramic headers and thunderous exhaust would be pretty sweet...lol!
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Some extra info for you + contact suggestion

Originally Posted by BlackSnshine442
That was alot of important info you gave me and I'm so grateful! I have a few photos in an album on this site and yes, my car does look like Ken's...however, the 2nd owner either had it repainted or did it himself many years ago and according to the 3rd owner, it was painted exactly how it was originally. I don't believe so because the lower color is white not silver. It looks kinda nice white but my plans for it are to have everything restored to it's original color etc. I plan on keeping it stock except for a subdued sound system. Then again...some ceramic headers and thunderous exhaust would be pretty sweet...lol!
Glad to help. I'm not an expert on these cars by any means. Ken (442much) is. His car is rather unique and is incredibly well documented. I enjoy looking at it every time I see it. He lives fairly local to Edmonton and also is the Pres of the Northern Lights Chapter Olds Club. That pic I posted was from a web shot, and it is his car in the photo. The club holds an annual 'Rocket Roundup' at the town of "OLDS, Alberta" every July. I got to know Ken when he was in the process of re-painting his 442 a couple of years back. He's a great guy and talks more than I do; which is ok because I love listening to his stories. A true Quebecer... I know his passion for Olds will deliver you the info you are looking for.

Ken has a web page featuring the history of his car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/205780...oldsmobile-442 On page 5 is a list of the options his car has; dealer and factory installed. I know you will enjoy a visit to his site

I would encourage you to contact Ken and discuss more.