General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Parade Overheat

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2010, 03:07 PM

Parade Overheat

Drove my '70 442 in one of the local village Memorial Day parades with the antiquers. Got placed behind two Model T's and as the parade progressed the car's temp needle started to slowly climb. Tried to bring the idle up while coasting, but the needle would not go down. Ended parade in parking lot where I let it sit to cool off. When the temp got down a little I drove her 1/4 mile and the needle climbed right back up again. Pulled off into a service station and let her sit to cool down again. Added water/anti-freeze mix while the car was running and the coolant started gushing out like Old Faithful. Couple of nice kids working the station helped me push the car into one of the empty bays where it will sit overnight until the mechanics get to it tomorrow. I didn't want to start her up with the amount of fluid loss and the fact she was quite hot. My guess is the thermostat. Any other ideas out there? To say the least, it made the day a little more interesting than I wanted it to be. On the plus side I could hear a lot of nice comments about the car as I passed through the parade crowd.

Last edited by nelsontj; May 31st, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old May 31st, 2010, 03:23 PM

Thermostat is your best first guess, could also be fan clutch, poor flowing radiator, bad impeller on water pump, or a head gasket issue. Let's hope for the thermostat, shouldn't be too much cash.
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:21 PM
Oldsdruid

Thermostat. I know of nothing else that will make one puke back like that.

While you're about it make sure the fan clutch is functional and all the shrouds, radiator seals and air dams are in place.

If car still has its DTVS, it may not have switched the distributor over to manifold vacuum.
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:36 PM

Guess you could say you had a.......memorable day. (sorry)
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:40 AM

I say check fan clutch also. when it was running hot, there should have been a good audible flow of hot air from it.
Also, not sure what temp sensor you have, but some are not too accurate. My HOT mark is about 210* when measured with an IR thermometer.
The cool coolant and water mixed with hot coolant in the engine could have caused the belch also.
Just some thoughts.
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:09 AM

If it has a clutch fan give it a spin manually. If it spins 5-6 times replace it. A good one will only spin 1-2 times
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Thermostat. I know of nothing else that will make one puke back like that.
bad head gasket will do that
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:14 AM

first determine the accuracy of the gauge by another gauge or IR. more than once I've seen people chasing a problem that wasn't there just because of a faulty indication. you can have a geyser situation even with normal temps. the coolant is seeking the easiest path, with the cap off that's it.

the condition of all cooling system components should be checked first.

a HD 6 blade rigid fan with a HD thermal type AC Delco clutch is highly recommended. the General has 230-235 degrees as the beginning of over heating, that's when the clutch is designed to engage. that's also the temps that idiots light are designed to illuminate.

it will take more than a 1/4 mile to make much of a difference.

the additives advertised to lower operating temps are a waste of money. I've sold a ton of that stuff at race tracks but I have never noticed any change in the vehicles I've poured it in.
Old June 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM

It did turn out to be the thermostat, or, at least, that was the prognosis. It broke and stuck shut as the mechanic showed me the old one. I drove it home and it seems to be working. Further driving will confirm, or, not confirm there are not other issues. I actually have a base 442 that did not come with a shroud and clutch fan. It only has the four blade fan. I think the factory was trying to find ways to cut costs. I plan on upgrading with those things in order to upgrade the cooling system. On another note, a 57' Olds 88 caught fire in one of our cemeteries and pictures of it made the local paper. He too had just finished up being in a Memorial Day parade. Fortunately, someone had a fire extinguisher and got the fire out in a hurry. It was not a good day for Oldsmobiles in my neck of the woods.
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:03 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by nelsontj
It did turn out to be the thermostat, or, at least, that was the prognosis. It broke and stuck shut as the mechanic showed me the old one. I drove it home and it seems to be working. Further driving will confirm, or, not confirm there are not other issues. I actually have a base 442 that did not come with a shroud and clutch fan. It only has the four blade fan. I think the factory was trying to find ways to cut costs. I plan on upgrading with those things in order to upgrade the cooling system. On another note, a 57' Olds 88 caught fire in one of our cemeteries and pictures of it made the local paper. He too had just finished up being in a Memorial Day parade. Fortunately, someone had a fire extinguisher and got the fire out in a hurry. It was not a good day for Oldsmobiles in my neck of the woods.
Good time to remind everyone, NEVER LEAVE HOME IN YOUR CLASSIC OLDS WITH OUT A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!!

I keep a five pounder in the trunk and a 2.5 pounder under the back of the seat.

It is always better to fix some minor fire damage than to watch your baby burn from a safe distance.
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:07 PM
GM Enthusiast

Glad to hear that it was only the thermostat. I had a similar thing happen to me but unfortunately it was the head gasket. (It deteriorated and allowed exhaust gases into the coolant and caused the car to overheat and puke antifreeze all over the place.)
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:39 PM

Olds 88 Fire.jpg

Olds 88 Fire2.jpg

If I did this right, here are the pictures of the car fire I was talking about on my previous post. Having a fire extinguisher handy sure saved the poor guy more grief than the bigger disaster it could have been...and I am not going to get upset even if the guy that is saving my car is wearing a skirt!!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM

Nice Fire pics. I worry all the time.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by nelsontj

Go talk to the guy that embarrassed Oldsmobile and himself.