General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What are your plans for your Oldsmobile(s) after you're gone?

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2010, 02:43 PM

serious question. I am 51 have no kids, no nieces / nephews interested in the hobby.

I really do care what happens to them (make sure siblings do not get ahold of anything)

any suggestions?
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:47 PM

I'll take good care of them....
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM

this will not let me edit

finally

LOL

Last edited by jeffreyalman; May 12th, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM

do you have a short list of friends who would truly understand the value of your cars? Not the Monetary value, but the emotional value?
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM

that's what I am trying to figure out - my cars are an acquired taste, most don't get it
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Clueless Mechanic

Jeffery we have been best friends for how long now? like 2 whole days lol I would love the 88. actually i posted in my thread if I get my dads 64 starfire 100% original 64000 miles I would have a car to pass on to each kid. Maybe donating to your local car club or town for parades in rememberance or something just a thought

EDIT: LMAO I just caught the prius in your sig no offence to it but if you ever break down you could tow it home in your 88's trunk

Last edited by salvaged88; May 12th, 2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Oldsdruid

Remember the RE Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing. ANY of your cars would be a welcome addition to their display. The AACA Museum in Hershey would be a good option too, but I know that sometimes they sell off some of their cars when they get "over-inventoried".

I know that Sharon agonized over what to do with Joe's cars. She knew she couldn't keep them all, but looks like the Toronado found a good home.

I'm in much the same situation. I really have no one to leave anything to though I am going to make sure some of the family antiques pass down to new generations. One friend has spoken for the Starfires and parts, another will get the Hurst/Olds, and hopefully they'll keep them around and remember me for a while. I really do not know what will happen to the Ninety Eight and the Toronado. I haven't looked that far ahead. I need to.
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
None! Mine are coming with me.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:24 PM

This is a good question. I'm still a young'n (27) and and if I kicked off tomorrow it'd all be up to my wife what happened to the Toronado. She knows I'm attached to it, but I also know that it to her it's no dream car.

I imagine she'd put it up for sale. I honestly don't know anyone who would appreciate it as much as I do, and it certainly nothing desirable. So I supposed if somebody fancied it enough to buy it, that's about as good a future as I could hope for the ol' gal.
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:59 AM

I'm in the same boat. Years ago I did put my best friends name on the title of my 1970 442. He helped me restore my 1971 blu Cultass back in the 1980's. He's busy raising a family in another part of the country and hasn't had the extra money/time for a fun car. So if something did happen to me that would be a cool thing to leave him.

The biggest concern I have is what will happen to the parts I've collected. I've thought about, but not taken the time to create a list of the really valuable stuff to put in my safety deposit box. None of my brothers and sisters families know anything about cars. A rare casting part I drug home for one of the project cars would look just like the most common casting to them.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:05 AM

I plan on taking the last ride [up the hill in my cemetery] in the Vista

When I go home to Glory, ya'll just come on over.................... the Olds parts will be in a pile on the street. Come get what cha need and make any offer on de cars, She [who must be obeyed] will dump em cheap.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:37 AM

Jeff, sad thing to think about but I am in the same boat, but worse since I do not have my own family...
I have two decent relatives, who would sell the cars and trash the parts.
All my other relatives are so retarded that they would not even deserve the 'trash' my other two set out on the curb. Sad and rude, but oh so true...

I need to find a worthy place to send them where they would be safe.
I want to be cremated, so I will not need a car as a casket.
I need to make a will - soon! And do some serious thinking...
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:40 AM

jaunty75, yes if my bud died before me that could become a headache dealing with the paperwork. I guess it would be simpler to just put that car in a will to go to him.

I'm afraid my siblings might be calling the scrap yard for the rest of the stuff. So Pat, if you don't see me posting for a while you'd better take a drive down here
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
What about donation to a museum, if the car was really nice, or maybe to a local community college or trade school as a car repair/restoration project if the car was still in need of work? The college/school could then sell it when they're done and make a little money.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
jaunty75, yes if my bud died before me that could become a headache dealing with the paperwork. I guess it would be simpler to just put that car in a will to go to him.
These are separate issues. What you need is for him to put it in HIS will that his interest goes to YOU if he dies before you. Willing your half to him is only as issue if you die first.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:46 AM

I hope my daughter gets interested in Oldsmobiles when she is older. She likes riding in the back of the Oldsmobile in her car seat with the windows down.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:53 AM

I would go with a friend that likes old cars or like other people said - a museum. One thing on all the old parts you collect and keep (like me). It is scary but that stuff can get thrown out when you are gone. I tell my wife if I am gone to have my father (a corvette guy) to go through it and keep or sell to help another old car guy. Scary - because my father had a friend who had some corvettes and he had 4 or 5 fuel injection units from the 60's plus a ton of other parts. When he died, his wife knew enough to sell the vettes but she had a guy come and clean out the garage and this guy knew nothing about old cars and all that stuff went in a dumpster!! Scary. My father only found out too late.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:54 AM

Crush them! Your preaching to the choir here. We all feel as if these Oldsmobiles are our kindred spirits. In reality most the younger people don't even know anything about Oldsmobiles. Us Oldsmobile lovers are a "dying" breed. I am turning 60 and my Son & Daughter could care less about an Oldsmobile. Now you have me thinking! Here I am getting ready to build another (4th) building for my Olds. I probably should sell all my Olds & stuff and take up checkers! Here's to wishing good health & a long life to all Oldsmobile Owners! Ken
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
I am turning 60 and my Son & Daughter could care less about an Oldsmobile.
I know what you mean (the kids part, not the turning 60 part, yet!), but you have to understand the kids. You're interested in Oldsmobiles because they were part of YOUR youth. There is no reason to expect your children to share an interest in something that was of interest to you when you were growing up. They'll have their own interests.

My three children, who are now all in their 20s, perfectly well understand why I like my old Oldsmobiles, but they certainly have little interest in them themselves, and there's no reason they should. When my son, who is now 25, turns 50, he might be interested in the cars of his teenage years, which were the cars of the 1990s and 2000s. But he probably won't be interested in the cars of MY teenage years any more than I'm interested in the cars of my father's teenage years. My father, who turns 80 in a few weeks, loves to talk about the cars of the '30s that he was driving around in high school in the late 40s and in college in the '50s. I like those stories, but I don't have as much interest in those cars.
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:24 AM

I have asked my wife to take the car to our machanic and have a automatic installed so she will be OK driving if. I have 3 son's in there 30's and all want the car but after seeing the way they trash there cars I think not.
I have talked to the wife, and the only right thing to do is to buy 2 more to restore so each will have one.
We all win.

1967 442 and 1972 HO will work. LOL
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM

That is a difficult question. Being the young age of 33 and with god willing having another 50+ years to go, I think that gas will go out of style before the F85 and the countless other Oldsmobiles I want will. I would imagine that by the time the girls are old enough to admire the older cars that having to fill up on gas will be a relic of the past. My wife has as much love for older cars as I do and do believe she will keep it to her last breath. If I had no one to give the car to - I would imagine a car club or museum would be the best choice to give the cars to. That way they can still be appreciated by all.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:03 AM
GM Enthusiast

This is a good question for sure. I wonder what's going to happen to all the great cars of the 50's through the 70's in about 20 years?

As for me, my kids are 6 and 3 and I try to take them out in the old cars all the time. They always want to go for rides in them now, so I got them started down the right track. Hopefully, they will have fond memories of them and want them when they get older.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:28 AM

My 69 is going to my longtime buddy (best freind of 40 years) and his son, who is in his mid 20's and loves these cars. If it is not restored by then, money will be left to him, so he won't think that it is a project to make room for. My nieces' son is interested in these cars, but has no ambition, and likely will not have any means to take care of and maintain a vintage car.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442

I'm afraid my siblings might be calling the scrap yard for the rest of the stuff. So Pat, if you don't see me posting for a while you'd better take a drive down here
Don't worry I come check on you John. Most of us are in the same boat. None of my kids so any interest at all. My wife would just sell them and that would be that, same with the tools she always wanted a clean garage she could park her car in.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:43 AM

I hoping my son will be into cars and want my car or cars by then. If not my nephew is into them. After I finish my 70 I would like to get another to do with my son when he is a few years older so he can understand and know how to fix, repair, and take care of them the way I would.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:56 AM
"me somebody" site member

The fate of my collector vehicles is unimportant compared to the health, happiness and financial security of family. I can think of worse fates for them than having their sale help finance my wife's retirement or say, the education of our nieces and nephews. If my heir(s) don't want them, let them go to the highest bidder after I'm gone.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:48 AM

Get the kids into them at an early age to "imprint" on them, better chances that way that they will be interested later...though not guaranteed.
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Past Administrator

I imagine Jesse will find room for the Cutlass someplace, not sure about the '46 though. Like others have said already, if they don't go to a family member then their sale would at least help financially whomever I leave behind .
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:16 AM

My Brother in law is a motor head like me. He has a 36' Ford 5 window coupe all metal. He has had this car since he was a teenager in 1975. We are both leaving each other our cars in our wills. If he passes on then I get the Ford. If I kick over he gets the 442. He is older than me.....so hopefully...lol. My wife and daughter have no real interest in the cars other than to go for ice cream. My daughters boyfriend is a great kid and is going through his apprentice thing for auto mechanics. He gets the old cars and loves them. His dad who passed away 6 years ago had a Chevelle that he loved, but when he passed away his wife had to sell it to pay the bills....
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:09 AM
BobsW32

I have two professional grown daughters who have NO interest in Old cars.......That being said I have decided to sell some of my cars and a lot of my parts as No one around here knows what the parts are worth if I am gone....They would hall them to the scrap yard.... So watch this summer as I get organized and start unloading 40 years of STUFF
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:41 AM

A couple points. First I too tried to get my Son into Oldsmobiles. He really didn't like getting dirty. Luckily I got him into golf and that is his passion now. He is a Teacher in N.C. He's still single, 34, has a condo, and is always golfing. My Daughter is a Lawyer and luckily I still convince her to buy American cars even-tho my Son-in-law (Lawyer also) still drives a Toyota that he bought before they married. Second, you can never be sure that your wishes will be carried out once you pass, having it in writing helps. From personal experience, I had an Uncle that I was very close to. He had thousands of $ worth of tools from his excavating business. They never had Children and he left the Aunt well off. At his wake, she made a point of tell me in front of everyone. "Ken, Jack thought of you as a Son and he wanted his tools to go to you." Me being hit hard by his passing said, "right now I don't even want to look at his tools, maybe in a few months." A couple months later I went to fix her toilet, after I said, "lets go unlock his building so I can look a Uncle Jack's tools." She said, "Oh, the neighbor's buddy buys tools and he bought the tool 10 days ago." I said, " OK, no problem." They were married 42 years but when there's money involved dying wishes sometimes mean nothing. I always say, "ya can't mourn forever!" If I was a better typer I would tell you a story about my turquoise 67. I save it for another day. Ken
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
None! Mine are coming with me.
said Thelma to Louise - trivia question - where were they originally headed???

Old May 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM

I think of that, though I joke about how when I am gone my wife will drive it around with the top down and her top nearly down waving to all the boys, while I'm looking down screaming at her from above even though she can't hear me!

I do have three cars but I have four children and the big issue now is that the 442 has become so much more valuable than the other cars that I couldn't leave it to one child. I too think that more than likely in 20 years these cars won't be worth as much but many experts say the difference is they are just sophisticated enough you can drive them any day any where. While a Model T just doesn't cut it as a commuter car in today's world even on weekends.

I'm not sure I would leave it to a museum, there are enough of these cars out there that there are plenty kept in glass containers, I rather have the kids sell it to someone at a decent price so that an Oldsmobile fan can enjoy it and they get something for it - they don't have to make a killing on it. I have always dreamed of someone giving me a decent price on an Oldsmobile - not giving it to me, just knowing I would cherish it and be fair with the price. I do know all three girls would love the 442 so maybe one of them could afford to buy it from the other three kids.
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:12 PM
One of None W-31

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Brother Rob, look no further, I only live 10 miles north of you. Also, this way my son and daughter will both have a Cutlass to drive once you and I are both gone.
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I think of that, though I joke about how when I am gone my wife will drive it around with the top down and her top nearly down waving to all the boys,
Please post pics pronto
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Crazy Canuck

I have 2 sons (6&12) and I try to take them out in the Olds as often as possible. My hope is that one of them will appreciate the car and cherish the memories enough to take care of the car.

Wayne
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM

My 16 yo has shown interest. It's just a car to my wife. My older boy has a 2007 Cobalt SS Turbocharged 6 speed that he wants to keep. But he likes the 442. My youngest wants a lime green 60's or early 70's Mustang. Well at least the are in to the American cars and not the Japanese cars like their friends. But I ain't gonna die. I have an ubderstanding with one son to be a Bernie (like "Weekend At Bernie's")
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:57 PM

I'm more afraid that they'll stop making gasoline; barring an accident or cancer, I should live to see my car reach 100 years old.

To address Jaunty's point, I think there is 'something' about the muscle cars that have imprinted themselves on people. Take myself, I wasn't even born till 1986, but I just love these cars. All my friends do too. They just look 'cool' and 'mean'. The 442 just calls to traditional masculinity. It's fast, loud, and in your face. That's something most cars from the 1930s, 40s, and 50s don't have, and I think that's why interest in them largely dies out when the 'Greatest Generation' dies (which is fast approaching).

I think certain cars from each generation live on. The 55 chevy, vettes, muscle cars. Perhaps something like a 3000GT or Supra or something will be the cars that last on from the 1990s. Not something a lot of American muscle guys will like to hear, but certain cars will always stay popular enough to not be forgotten.
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM

i am not worried about what happens to my cars after i am gone. they may live longer than me but at least i get to meet Jesus and the cars don't. i told my wife to contact a friend of mine and he will sell them for what he can get and all the parts. when it comes down to it i bet she will not sell the Rallye 350 because of it being mine but she can't even drive a 4 speed so it will just sit there.
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM

I'm giving both of mine to my son and he knows how to detail them but on the mechanic side it's nothing at all so I'm setting up a trust fund for both cars!!

Quick Reply: What are your plans for your Oldsmobile(s) after you're gone?