General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I plan to do some work on the Rallye 350 this year

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:44 PM

I plan to do some work on the Rallye 350 this year

i have not enjoyed this car for several years. there are some things just not right with it. the rear end started to wine last year so i did not drive it at all last summer. i plan to get the rear end rebuilt first. if you have not noticed, i am going to sell some things to pay for it. i will be posting some things for sale here and there. i am also going to get an original number carb restored for it. the carb has never ben right after i restored the car in 99. i just got a reman carb from auto zone for "temporary use" that was 11 years ago. also i put an HEI in it when i rebuilt the engine and the vacuum advance was not right so i just unhooked it. i am now going to go to the original distributor with the pertronics pickup so i can put the original breather base on it. after all this i plan to change the front bumper that was going to be "temporary" also, it is bent just a little. i almost forgot, the glass packs are going in the trash! i can't wait to get
started
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:32 PM

See, if you would have sold them both and started over like you talked about, you wouldn't have all of this fun lined up!! Got any plans for the 72?
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:00 PM

we can't decide what we want to do with it. for now we are just going to drive it the way it is. we originally was going to repaint it but we want to be able to say it is the original paint. what i think we will do is see if i can get the passenger front finder painted and blended a little better and just leave it the way it is. i do plan to put a power seat setup on it. my wife is short and can't hardly see over the wheel. the power seat will give her the option to raise it then i can lower it when i drive it.
i got a new brake booster for it that i have to put on.
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:48 PM

Ch*vy's Malibu Maxx has a power seat option the does the traditional back and forth plus, it can go up and down in height. I just wonder if one of these could be installed in an A body.
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Loose Radical

I think you are on the right track. I would get the running gear right so it is fun and reliable to drive. Then worry about cosmetics. I agree, its cool to say 'original paint'. Not many people can.
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by slowolds
I think you are on the right track. I would get the running gear right so it is fun and reliable to drive. Then worry about cosmetics. I agree, its cool to say 'original paint'. Not many people can.
the original paint is on the 72 cutlass. my rallye 350 is repainted. i was responding to scott442 about the original paint (i got the 72 from him). my wife is looking forward to both of us taking some drives with us each in our own car. i have to get the rear end fixed before i can drive it at all. other than that, it is reliable but the engine just don't run to it's potential with the junk carb and distributor.