General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Thank you to all of you!

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Thank you to all of you!

71 Cutlass Olds, 455 big block, Turbo 400 Trans.

Car is officially in running condition I have about 10 lbs of oil pressure at idle, and about 18lbs when driving.

Fixed the Secondary pull of choke as it was busted, and the Carb, works great.

A big thank you to all of you on this forum, for giving me suggestions and tips.

Still have one issue, the speedometer is reading speed about 5-6, maybe 7 over higher than the the car is really doing.

Any ideas how I can fix that?

I heard you can change out the gear in the tranny???

342 Rearend, 26.6 diameter in tire size I do believe.

I will post pictures of her soon, if any one is interested in seeing another beautiful 71 Cutlass SX, Restored from junkyard scrap to Show room condition.

Thanks for the help,
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Thank you to all of you!

71 Cutlass Olds, 455 big block, Turbo 400 Trans.

Car is officially in running condition I have about 10 lbs of oil pressure at idle, and about 18lbs when driving.

Fixed the Secondary pull of choke as it was busted, and the Carb, works great.

A big thank you to all of you on this forum, for giving me suggestions and tips.

Still have one issue, the speedometer is reading speed about 5-6, maybe 7 over higher than the the car is really doing.

342 Rearend, 26.6 diameter in tire size I do believe.

I will post pictures of her soon, if any one is interested in seeing another beautiful 71 Cutlass SX, Restored from junkyard scrap to Show room condition.

Thanks for the help,
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:28 AM
car guy

lets see the pics already
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 71cutlasssx

Yes. There are two gears, a drive gear on the output shaft and a driven gear inside the speedo cable adapter that bolts into the trans. Get new ones here:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm
Old February 4th, 2010, 01:55 PM

If you changed the rear end gears then you need to swap the gear on the end of your speedometer cable in the transmission to the appropriate gear. I don't believe there are different speedo cable gears for cars with a different tire diameter. Did you change the diameter of your tires? 5-6 miles per hour difference isn't too bad.

BTW, I merged your threads.
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
If you changed the rear end gears then you need to swap the gear on the end of your speedometer cable in the transmission to the appropriate gear. I don't believe there are different speedo cable gears for cars with a different tire diameter. Did you change the diameter of your tires? 5-6 miles per hour difference isn't too bad.

BTW, I merged your threads.
You need to swap the speedo gears if you changed the rear gears, the tire diameter, and/or the trans itself. What matters is number of tire revolutions per mile, and when this changes the speedo drive gears must be changed to match. If you are between available drive gears due to a non-original tire diameter, you can also get little under/overdrive gearboxes for the speedo cable to dial it in correctly.
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 71cutlasssx
Are you sure about that oil pressure? I wouldn't drive it with that low of pressure. For a stock build 20psi idle 40-50psi driving. Somthing is wrong, start with the gauge and then go from there. JKaz
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

What does any of this have to do with a TH400 trans?
Should I move this to a different forum, or change the thread name?
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by kaz442
Are you sure about that oil pressure? I wouldn't drive it with that low of pressure. For a stock build 20psi idle 40-50psi driving. Somthing is wrong, start with the gauge and then go from there. JKaz
I saw the pic of your car and thought they were "Garden State" plates on it, then looked at your location. My Grandmother lived in Hoboken when I was a kid, when the New York plates were black. Brings back memories. Great hole-shot.
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I hear 'ya, J.
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)

How about the car has an th400 and other stuff about the car.
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Sorry, J. The thread originally had a different name, but I merged it with an identical one 71CutlassSX made. I didn't bother to change the name.
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Texas Jim

Sorry, J. The thread originally had a different name, but I merged it with an identical one 71CutlassSX made. I didn't bother to change the name.
How do you get to merge someone else's thread w/o asking them if that's what they want? If that person wanted to combine their topic w/ someone else's, they'd already have done it. What am I missing here, or are there calls being made w/o the consent of the topic provider? I think we're old enough to make our own decisions. Or is it a case of this catagory being SO over-crowded that you need to combine topics in order f/ the catagory not to shut itself down. Am I understanding this right? Were the topics really combined w/o asking the providers? The more I type, the more I can't believe what I'm seeing.
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Were the topics really combined w/o asking the providers?
Yes.

I'm a moderator. I try to keep our site clean. The only time I change someone's post is if there is cussing, and then all I do is change to cuss word to something milder. It is done many times on our site by various moderators, I'm not the only one that does it.

I merged the threads because the original TH 400 thread only had one post that I made on it after a day and a half. The other thread had multiple posts. Once I found out that the threads were duplicates of each other I decided to merge them. No need to post the same thread in multiple spots.

I probably should have kept the title of the other thread. I think it was something like "Hey guys, need some help!" However, I didn't think about it at the time. My bad.
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:25 AM

I went ahead and moved the thread again. Now it is in the General Discussion Forum with the "better" title. Now hopefully it will get more coverage. I fixed it!
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Texas Jim

Yes.

I'm a moderator. I try to keep our site clean. The only time I change someone's post is if there is cussing, and then all I do is change to cuss word to something milder. It is done many times on our site by various moderators, I'm not the only one that does it.

I merged the threads because the original TH 400 thread only had one post that I made on it after a day and a half. The other thread had multiple posts. Once I found out that the threads were duplicates of each other I decided to merge them. No need to post the same thread in multiple spots.

I probably should have kept the title of the other thread. I think it was something like "Hey guys, need some help!" However, I didn't think about it at the time. My bad.

Only my opinion, but I'd think that just because one reply in a day and a half came in, that the thread should not be basically wacked. I have seen threads take off after a couple of days, and it's not like the room is desperately needed. Just seems awfully controlling and abrupt. And if it were my post, I'd be insulted to say the least. From my experience on these auto sites, if the topic is that much alike another or very off-topic, someone will make that comment and things will be turned in the right direction or the topic will really become dead and all done by site members. If you came across a dead topic like that, or one similar, I'd agree, time to wack it. I've never seen this happen in a such a manner before. It reminded me of the D.C. politicians, shoving bills down the throats of the people who don't want them, and the very ones who make up the site (country).
Don't mean to sound harsh, but this isn't a "do or die" situation, give the site members a chance to voice their thoughts and to get replies, and maybe ask them if they wouldn't mind combining their topic w/ another like posting. It would only involve/cost one more e-mail/minute, and a much more friendly approach. Sincerely.
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:42 AM

I am a moderator and i looked at doing the same thing that Olds64 did. Both threads had the same topic, that happens with many newbies. They post the same topic in many locations with different names, We merge them in the best location to help the newbie get the answers he is looking for. After spending some time on the site new members understand how the different topic forums work and it ceases to be a problem. I leave a re-direct when I do this to let the person know what I have done. But somtimes we make a mistake and forget to leave the re-direct. We will work harder to keep that from happening.