General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hurst Hairy Olds Alloy Body Parts? Huh.......

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM

Hurst Hairy Olds Alloy Body Parts? Huh.......

I'm back spending about as much time on ebay as when I first got hip to it, as word has quickly spread of the impending rates changes 31 March, which may finally end the fun. Enjoying what might prove the end of the ebay happy time, lots for sale right now.

I was reading a at auction Hurst press release about the HHO and was floored to read the car had alloy hood, deck, bumpers and 'other' body parts of aluminum. Either I'm the last guy to find out, or perhaps it is a less common known fact about the car. Best - CW

Old February 1st, 2010, 05:28 PM

Thank you for sharing this!
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM

Now the question is were did they hide it??????????????????????
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:15 PM

We feature special displays which change every 3 months.
Our displays trace R.E. Old's motor vehicle career and include the REO, Star, Durant and Viking.
The "HURST HAIRY OLDSMOBILE" - Drag racing's wildest exhibition vehicle will be permanently displayed at the R. . Olds Transportation Museum.
The "Hurst Hairy Oldsmobile" was literally built from the floor up at the Hurst Performance Research Corporation in Detroit. This twin-engined supercharged Oldsmobile powered; four-wheel drive is a rolling research laboratory. The body is a 1966 model Oldsmobile 4-4-2, but from the outside in, things have changed a little. This show and go screamer burns an exotic fuel blend of nitromethene and alcohol. With the four-wheel-drive capabilities of the twin Toronado power trains; special drag racing slicks have been mounted "on all four corners." They are of a special design for maximum traction and measure 11 inches across.
See the rare Lansing built buggies, bicycles and airplanes. Additional displays feature awards, actual furniture from the mansion, photographs and artifacts; many that have never before been shown to the public.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:54 AM

Thanks for that. Because I am glad that the story I had read that the the thing was to HAIRY to race and it was either destoryed or bury (maybe with Hoffa) was not true.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:12 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by doc93
Thanks for that. Because I am glad that the story I had read that the the thing was to HAIRY to race and it was either destoryed or bury (maybe with Hoffa) was not true.
I believe the HHO there is the recreation, not the original.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:06 AM
Shoveling Snow

The car in the museum is a recreation or the 66 ca. It has the front and rear bumper also the hood from the 66 car. In 67 Hurst used the same body and changed the frame and front sheet metal and rear bumper. I was told by jack watson that they used aluminum quarters and doors and fenders along with the hood and decklid. I find that hard to believe because this car was damaged so much by hitting guard rails.
The 67 car was damaged at Niagara and was trucked back to Detroit and striped of usable parts and towed to a junkyard.
A few people have claimed to have the 66 car but that would be impossible because Hurst reused the 66 body in 67.