General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Barrett Jackson Gripe

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:10 AM

Barrett Jackson Gripe

Okay, it's time again for wall to wall coverage of Barrett Jackson on Speed.
And again I wonder, do they have anything else besides mid year Corvettes, early Camaros and Boss/Mach 1 Mustangs? I mean it's getting OLD seeing the same type of cars cross the block night after night. Please tell me there are other makes/models represented here? Gr-r-r-r-r!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:35 AM
Captain of my ship

just says that guys who fix up those cars are selling them to make a buck. Guys who fix up Olds keep them.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
Trying to remember member

"Barrett Jackson Gripe"????????

Get in line! (and the line is loooooooooog)
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:36 AM
69-72 olds owner

Well at least they had some mini cars surprised a kid carring fire truck sold for 100thsand
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:44 AM

Please tell me there are other makes/models represented here?
I thought those were the only cars made back in the day?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:52 AM

I've seen some nice Olds cross the block. Very few and far between. But I'm guessing they are either covering what they know is going to bring the big $$$ or they are showing the mainstream cars that mainstream America loves.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by nukesec1
I've seen some nice Olds cross the block. Very few and far between. But I'm guessing they are either covering what they know is going to bring the big $$$ or they are showing the mainstream cars that mainstream America loves.
x2

IIRC, last year there was a very nice very low mi high optioned correct '69 W-31 that got my attention.

Its just getting started now. The cars get nicer toward Sat/Sun.

I kinda focus on the A bodies. There will be a ton of Chevelles and this year I think a bunch of GTOs with a few Olds & maybe a Buick or two.

One of the reasons there are so many Chevelles (& to some extent GTOs & Mustangs) is the repro/aftermarket for these. You can build an entire '70 Chevelle starting with nothing but a VIN plate using aftermarket...

Also, remember that BJ is the TV/play-to-the-masses auction. Therefore they show what the masses want to see. Chevys & Fords. There are many other higher end auctions that have the more esoteric Olds, Buick, etc...

I wish I had a bunch of cash to play with. I see some of those not-so-popular, yet beautiful, 40's/50's cars go really cheap...

Last edited by Indy_68_S; January 22nd, 2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
One of the reasons there are so many Chevelles (& to some extent GTOs & Mustangs) is the repro/aftermarket for these.
I think you have that backwards. There is more aftermaket support for the Chevies because way more were built and therefore there is much more of a market for parts. In the 60s, there were roughly ten times as many SS Chevelles and GTOs built as there were 442s. Even looking at base models, there were MANY more Chevies built and many more surviving now, thus the market.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I think you have that backwards. There is more aftermaket support for the Chevies because way more were built and therefore there is much more of a market for parts. In the 60s, there were roughly ten times as many SS Chevelles and GTOs built as there were 442s. Even looking at base models, there were MANY more Chevies built and many more surviving now, thus the market.
Ahhh, I see your point that the original production numbers drive the aftermarket. I didn't know that the ratio of SSs/GTOs to 442s was 10-1 ! I thought it was lower than that. Still, as the aftermarket grows, the more of the 'popular' cars are rebuilt. It kinda feeds on itself.

With the popularity of Chevies/Ponchos, and the exploding A/M for these, there may come a day when there are actually more on the road than were originally built !
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:31 AM

I get it... more Chevys and Fords mean more restorations and a bigger audience for those cars. I was watching 2 nights ago and they had 5 Camaros in a row and then 5 Vettes in a row the next night. It would really be interesting to see how the TV ratings break down according to which cars are on the block. (sorta like putting blonde reporters on the local news to boost ratings) I guess I'll just try another auction like Silver and see if there's a difference.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Indy_68_S
Ahhh, I see your point that the original production numbers drive the aftermarket. I didn't know that the ratio of SSs/GTOs to 442s was 10-1 ! I thought it was lower than that. Still, as the aftermarket grows, the more of the 'popular' cars are rebuilt. It kinda feeds on itself.

With the popularity of Chevies/Ponchos, and the exploding A/M for these, there may come a day when there are actually more on the road than were originally built !
Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
I get it... more Chevys and Fords mean more restorations and a bigger audience for those cars. I was watching 2 nights ago and they had 5 Camaros in a row and then 5 Vettes in a row the next night. It would really be interesting to see how the TV ratings break down according to which cars are on the block. (sorta like putting blonde reporters on the local news to boost ratings) I guess I'll just try another auction like Silver and see if there's a difference.
Its not like this is just limited to TV auctions. Haven't you noticed that there are "only a couple" Oldsmobile magazines on the newsstand in the sea of Chebby and F*rds? And what shows up at car shows & cruises?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM

Like my friend with Cadillacs says to me jokingly: "Cadillacs are expensive to buy and expensive to repair. An Oldsmobile is a very practical car for you"

We can always look at the Chevs and nod our head knowingly, maybe a little wink of the eye, and say "Oldsmobiles are expensive to buy and expensive to repair. A Chevy must be a very practical car for you"

Ironically, the Chevys are more $$$ for a lesser (IMHO) car

Given the choice since I was I don't know maybe 5 years old, I would ALWAYS choose an Oldsmobile.

Always.

Last edited by jeffreyalman; January 22nd, 2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Its not like this is just limited to TV auctions. Haven't you noticed that there are "only a couple" Oldsmobile magazines on the newsstand in the sea of Chebby and F*rds? And what shows up at car shows & cruises?
Not to change the subject here Kurt, but I do think Hemmings Muscle Machines gives all the muscle marques equal space. (Olds included)

Now if Barrett-Jackson could only take a hint.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:40 AM

I'm no huge fan of B-J, but a positive way to look at it is if you're not seeing much of a particular brand/car roll across, then they are most likely more rare. So when they do, hopefully the money follows. I believe Olds looked pretty good last night. A beautiful '71 442 convert went for $95k (and to Ron Pratt - so that's interesting) and a '66 tri power 442 went for $121K.

Mopars used to be few and far between too, then demand skyrocketed and so did prices...and that was done mostly by B-J and others.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Registered Luser

Okay, it's time again for wall to wall coverage of Barrett Jackson on Speed.
And again I wonder, do they have anything else besides mid year Corvettes, early Camaros and Boss/Mach 1 Mustangs? I mean it's getting OLD seeing the same type of cars cross the block night after night. Please tell me there are other makes/models represented here? Gr-r-r-r-r!
Funny, as I was watching last night, I was thinking the same thing and about 2 of the three cars you mentioned.....there was a '66 442 that went for $110,000...but they went to commercial just as it was rolling up! They did mention it though when they came back! Oh, just in time for another Tri-Five Chevy!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by nukesec1
If you go to their web site, big reason there aren't any olds' being shown is because there just aren't many there....But like you said, the few that have been there, seem to be nice!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:56 AM
Registered Luser

Kurt, let me know what those mags are? Here in NY, NO mags for Olds...I didn't think they made anymore!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:11 AM

Last time I checked, they auction the cars that people consign to them. It's not like 1,000 Oldsmobiles showed up and B-J turned them away at the door in favor of more Chevelles or something....
Terry
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:14 AM

There's a complete list of cars for the auction at www.barrett-jackson.com. I was pleasently surprised to see that three 57 Olds are up for sale - 2 convertables and a Fiesta station wagon.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by vette442
Last time I checked, they auction the cars that people consign to them. It's not like 1,000 Oldsmobiles showed up and B-J turned them away at the door in favor of more Chevelles or something....
Terry
Well, this is not exactly precise. B-J picks/chooses which cars it will permit to cross the auction block. Yes, it picks/chooses from the available pool, but the mere fact you have a car, and the bucks to pay the requisite fees does not guarantee that your car will be selected to be in the auction.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:41 AM

Not to change the subject here Kurt, but I do think Hemmings Muscle Machines gives all the muscle marques equal space. (Olds included)

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Kurt, let me know what those mags are? Here in NY, NO mags for Olds...I didn't think they made anymore!
I said that "tongue in cheek" to illustrate the lack of Olds expose was not a TV thing, but something that is an overall situation.

To put it in perspective, how does it sound if an AMC guy make similar remarks about lack of exposure? Seems pretty obvious that the lower production numbers pretty well explain that.

BJ is not there as a service to the car hobby (and they're not), and they have no interest or intention to be fair to any marque. Why should they? They are there to sell cars and make money. That should be quite obvious.
Joe P has already said they do more harm than good to the car hobby and again, I think that should be painfully obvious.

Contrary, it seems, to most peoples opinion here, I think the least exposure and lowest prices in BJ's automotive cesspool is the best thing possible for Oldsmobiles. I believe one needs to gets past the initial feelgood one gets when they see Oldsmobiles get high prices, and realize all the damage it does. "About time Oldsmobiles get some respect" is the comment I hear, but nothing could be farther from the truth.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:25 PM
Banned

Contrary, it seems, to most peoples opinion here, I think the least exposure and lowest prices in BJ's automotive cesspool is the best thing possible for Oldsmobiles. I believe one needs to gets past the initial feelgood one gets when they see Oldsmobiles get high prices, and realize all the damage it does. "About time Oldsmobiles get some respect" is the comment I hear, but nothing could be farther from the truth.
look what happened to Mopars is a perfect example.

engineering and design wise,those cars are the biggest pieces of junk made.

i don't believe there is one hemi Cuda out there with the original motor,these cars were made to blow up.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM

202,000 for the 1970 W30 4-speed convert
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stevengerard
202,000 for the 1970 W30 4-speed convert
Yeah, I wuz impressed!!
Since my car has the same color scheme, it must be worth about at least 100,000.00

I'm waiting to see what the 2 other 71's still awaiting the stage will bring.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM

HMM is a joke. Everyone thinks they give Olds equal time but I have every issue and theres not been a 65, 67, 68, or 69 442 featured in the 7 years they have been in circulation. They used to try to give equal coverage, now its all Hemi this and BOSS that.

Just a few issues ago the cover tag was Living With HEMI, whats it really like. WHO GIVES A ****! We all know whats its like since every magazine has told us the same story for the last 20 years. My senile grandmother knows what a Hemi is and its detailed history, how many in the know car guys have any idea what a 65-67 442 is? Besides the "fact" that it has a 442 ci engine.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:21 PM

DING DING DING. We do not want our cars to get popular, then prices go up, parts get even harder to find, and guys that dont truey love Oldsmobiles buy them because its the cool thing to do. I love my car, its a part of who I am. How many 69 Camaro owners truely feel this way. It cant be many because there is 200 of them for sale in Arizona right now.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM

Hey, all I'm asking for is a little variety here. I've walked the grounds at Westworld and know what cars B-J has. I just dont want to see 5 of anything in a row, it's boring coverage and bad TV. C'mon Speed mIx it up!

p.s. It's okay to cheer for the occasional Olds too! Not all restorations are created equal and the market will bear that out. If a W-30 or H/O commands big bucks, then they must be done right and worth every penny. Everyone here has dreamed of a big payoff for their project car.
After all, it's why our wives let us spend $$$ on parts and restoration.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
"me somebody" site member

I don't watch those auctions. Haven't in a few years. Those who participate can do their thing and I will do mine. Even though I don't watch, I did hear about a couple cars that sold at Scottsdale; a friend sent me the following auction link:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=304&pop=1

I happen to appreciate these cars, since I own a Buick Lesabre T-type. But 20K?!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:57 PM
Olds + Mopar = Happiness

Originally Posted by agtw31
look what happened to Mopars is a perfect example.

engineering and design wise,those cars are the biggest pieces of junk made.

i don't believe there is one hemi Cuda out there with the original motor,these cars were made to blow up.

hey now don't go trashing Mopars.. as an avid Mopar guy i can say that there motors are some of the best built. I own a 426 Hemi roadrunner and the engine is ALL original. I have seen many with original engines in Cudas. this is an Olds forum i know but mopars were some of the best cars built and revolusionazed the racing field, engine, and body styles. But besides from the point you are all right about the good things of no Oldsmobiles on Barett Jackson. Do not let the rich get ahold of these cars or they will be ruined just as the Mopars were!!!
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM

X2 about not trashing mopars, they are very well engineered engines that have more than passed the test of time!
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:10 AM

Mopars: made some good engines, cars themselves were crap.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Senior Moment Member

I DVR the BJ show. I think I watched 6 hours worth in about half an hour. Lots of fluff. Good to see that 442 go for over 200k. A friend of mine has 4 of these w-30 4 speed converts. (Musclecar Enthusiast July, 2008) I bet he's happy.

Last edited by z11375ss; January 24th, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Registered Grease Monkey

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wolfman98
just says that guys who fix up those cars are selling them to make a buck. Guys who fix up Olds keep them.
x2.....couldnt have been said better!
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Good to see that 442 go for over 200k.
I don't know why you think so.

Originally Posted by z11375ss
I bet he's happy.
Only reason to be happy is if he is selling it.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gearhead442
but mopars were some of the best cars built and revolusionazed the racing field, engine, and body styles.
Really? When was the last time you saw a 57-59 Mopar at a car show. Those cars and every other Chrysler product were tin cans that rusted very quickly. Shut the door on a 70 Cuda, it slams like a screen door with a bad shock.

Yes their engines were revolutionary and made history but the wrappers around them were pure junk. So much so Chrysler went bankrupt because everyone knew what piles they were.
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:57 PM

sorry but all these things like barret-jackson, hot rod power tour, and good guys, etc will always only have a limited number of Oldsmobiles. It is just a fact that being an olds person will always have to deal with. Does it suck.......yes. but it's a fact.

Hell we can't get a lot of olds in hot rod or even musclecar mag.

Its a shame being such a great car, the best in my book, it gets over looked soooooo much.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Yeah, I wuz impressed!!
Since my car has the same color scheme, it must be worth about at least 100,000.00

I'm waiting to see what the 2 other 71's still awaiting the stage will bring.
Allan, my car is appraised for $100,000.....if it has $75,000 in the trunk. My friend has a 1970 442 W30 Conv Auto, a 1969 442 W30 Conv. 4spd,coming off a ground up, a 1969 Hurst/Olds and has a luxury condo looking over a man made lake in Scottsdale, so he's there now. Last time he was there he bought a 1962 Corvette 4 spd roadster. He just bought a 1969 Camaro Rs SS 302 4 spd. Who knows what he'll come home with this time. I'm trying to see if I see him on TV.
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Captain of my ship

[. Hate to see our northern neighbors have good cars or empty VIN's exported in the name of high-value, sounds familiar. Best - CW[/quote]

I think this requires a little more explanation. I know that GM Canada kept records that the U.S. division did not but what does that have to do with having good cars. Do you consider them better if they can be documented?
maybe it's that they are of higher value? To me a car that has the same options and in the same condition would be equal no matter where it came from.
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM

I really would like to know how horrible my cars are, really...
Tell me about how bad the rust is on my ALL original 72 Satellite wagon, that mind you was a work horse... How many here have original 72 oldses with this little rust? (Not an attack on anyone, please don't take it that way)
How about the horrible original 318 that has no issues, the torquefilght that not only is all original but is so after all the miles driven with the car loaded down with people and luggage, toy trains, and a 4000 lbs camper loaded with MORE trains and luggage, and the entire rest of the tin can vehicle?
How about my dad's 60 Plymouth? With the indestructible slant 6 and a torqueflight backing that up... By far, the most enjoyable car we own to drive. I truthfully enjoy driving that more than my olds, or my wagon. With the /6 it isn't the fastest but it moves enough to make it an enjoyable easy to drive cruiser... That's apparently a piece of crap with horrible engineering...

Bens1960PlymouthAtQuickChekCruiseNi.jpg

I understand this is an olds forum, and not everyone likes all brands. I personally am not a ford guy, I think many of their designs are not the greatest but they still have stood the test of time. I'd like you to ask the same question about the # of 57-59 mopars around on this site.
www.forwardlook.net/forums

Now here's a question for you, how many 57-59 ANYTHING have you seen at a show lately, aside from tri5 chevies which they made about 9 bazillion of?
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM

it seemed to me that anytime an olds comes up or auction, they cut to commercial!

Quick Reply: Barrett Jackson Gripe