General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Shop broken into!

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Shop broken into!

Went to check on the cutlass today (1970 s) Noticed right away that the front bumper was not where it was the day before!!!!!! Ouch They also got the front driverside bucket seat! Now I'm pissed.

The guy who is doing the body work is really good but works week to week in his retirement. No INSURANCE!

I am really pissed because I'm out at least $2,000 to replace this stuff.

Bumper, Bumper Brackets, Parking liights!

Seat with perfect plastics / chrome and perfect headrest

Needless to say I grabbed the rest of the parts and took them home with me. If you have any of these parts I'm going to need to purchase them.

I am pretty sure we have a lead on who did this (No one would know the car is even there unless they are in the shop.

Need the bumper brackets ect................
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Ahh that sucks man. 9/10 times if it happens in a shop its an inside job.
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Totally trust the guy in the shop. don't trust some of the riff raff that hang around there
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM

About 25-26 years ago, when my Dad relocated his automtovie air condtion shop, some low-lifes broke in, stole his watch and some of the employees tools. riff raff is becoming more and more comman (beed like rabbits) . they think everything is "owned" to them.

Last edited by toro68; January 18th, 2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:11 PM

I had the entire interior in there. It happened in like a 10 minute period when he left to go to the store. It could have been much worse! But ****! How am I going to find this stuff! What a pain in the A$$
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:29 PM

Sorry to hear about this. I would ride the owners *** until he gave a huge discount or something to make this somewhat better. He was the one that was responsible for the car if its at his shop
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Very sorry to hear about this, bro...
Best thing is that they did not take the whole car, or OAI parts, or those that are next to impossible to find.
You might possibly consider another shop to continue the work, since someone very bad knows what is in there.
Keep an eye out on the local craigslist postings. Do you have pictures of the stolen parts?
What city was the shop in? Sounds like Dallas TX to me... Over here we have the riffiest riffs to ever riff the raff......
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM

talk to your home owners insurance agent. Might be covered under your ploicy seeing as how you car wasn't in running condition. If not then see what a ryder would cost to cover the car in his shop if you want to continue with him.

I do not trust anyone with my cars or tools Shop always locked up tight. A camera and recorder are cheap so is a simple burgler alarm panel with motion sensors and a 150 db siren in the shop and it will drive a person out he won't be able to take the pain set timer for 10 min then it wil reset itsself incase he trys again. coup[le hundred bucks. Police response is to slow they never catch these guys, they don't even try anymore
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM

I'm in Lansing , MI. The shop said. "I guess I'm doing this job for cost" I feel bad though because this is a retired guy just trying to make ends meet.

He is hanging two quaters. Patching front fenders and taking the car to bare metal than painting for $3,000.

So It's not like he is trying to rob me. It is not in the greatest part of town but............................

I am just pissed !!!
Old January 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Ahh that sucks man. 9/10 times if it happens in a shop its an inside job.
I was just thinking this myself.....

Who just goes into a shop and steals VERY specific parts ??
Especially if this guy only does work on the weekends....

I'd say its someone he knows. That's the sad risk you take with homey hookups.
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:02 PM

It was the passenger side seat they got! I have the driverside in my basement now. The bumper will be easy to replace. worried about the brackets and the parking lights. (I know they repop the lenses) The seat - I'm sure I can find someone with a seat (I hope)
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Here is how I think it went down. Car has been there for about a month. (check out major builds thread) The guy who comes in to take out the trash is very shady as is the mechanics shop right next door. I think that the guy who takes out the trash told his buddy "james" what was in the shop. Pretty sure the low lives next door where in on it as well.

My guy leaves for 10 minutes - sees a green tahoe pull into the drive next door. sees the car leaving as he returns 10 Mins.

If it were longer I would probably be looking for an entire interior. Maybe a back bumper as well.

The police took the report but I'm pretty sure this is low on the list of what they will be looking into. HELP ready to scream!
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:27 PM

Stolen Parts

If it were me, I would stake out the neighbor's business until I saw some of my parts appear. Then I would approach them, but not without an equalizer in my pocket. If they tried to attack me, that would be all I needed to solve the problem permanently. Ever hear about the guy that called 911 and told them that some guys were breaking into his neighbor's house and he was going to stop them if the cops didn't get there soon? When he called again he said it was too late! He shot them both! No harm, no foul!
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Cutlass Lover

I am very sorry to hear that. I'd be plenty pi$$ed off too! That really sucks. The parts are hard to find, and so darned expensive. Not much we can say, but we're sharing your anger!
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:30 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Sorry to hear about your misfortune...I despise liars and thiefs
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by BOOWAH
If it were me, I would stake out the neighbor's business until I saw some of my parts appear. Then I would approach them, but not without an equalizer in my pocket. If they tried to attack me, that would be all I needed to solve the problem permanently. Ever hear about the guy that called 911 and told them that some guys were breaking into his neighbor's house and he was going to stop them if the cops didn't get there soon? When he called again he said it was too late! He shot them both! No harm, no foul!

That might be the worst advice I have EVER seen posted - risk your life and jail time for the parts. The parts are rare, but not more rare than a life.
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:58 PM

Yes, that hurts. I'm lucky that I have a retired guy living next door who's home 99% of the time. He's actually confronted people taking walnuts from my front yard while I'm at work!

Make a list of what you need. Maybe we can come up with some stuff and help you with "brother-in-law" prices to ease the loss. John
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:45 PM

Here is what I need

Front bumper Brackets
Front bumper parking lights
Front bumper - looks like I will just buy a new one (might as well)

Passenger side bucket seat - This I think will be the hardest part to find. Recovering is easy - Would be nice if the plastics were as nice as the one stolen but....... they remake that stuff.

Any help with these parts would be greatly appreciated.

Also this site is wonderful! A great place to vent when a project gets hard and a great group of people. I appreciate any help anyone here can give me.
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Hey Hark442,
Sorry for your loss!
Just a thought... Surf ebay and other auction site immediately. Look for those specific parts.
Recently a friend had the custom rims from her Honda sports car stolen. The local authorities suggested that she surf e-bay for the items specifically. Sure enough... within a few weeks after the theft the rims magically turned up on ebay for sale by a turd who lived in the community. The rims were identified by the gal and the local police went along for the visit when a "sale and local pick-up" was arranged.... Bingo, rims returned home with the help of the law. It's a long shot but it's just a thought.
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Have had the same Idea and have already started my search. I think that the thieves had specific parts that they took. I will be diligent! But , Luck is not usually on my side.

Times are really tough in MI. I had my truck broken into at my house (nice neighborhood) they got my GPS and Cell Phone. I think that unless the economy changes (read Democrats out of office) I'm going to need to lock everything down like fort Knox
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM

OK, I've got the bumper brackets and parking lights, not sure how good the sockets are in the parking lights. I also have a good core front bumper. Solid with just light damage, easy to straighten and replate if you wanted to go that route. I'll get some photos for you, maybe next weekend before I get home before dark. John

Oh Yeah, just to be sure this is the 1970 in your major build thread right? Brackets and lights yours for the shipping costs, hope the lights are good enough. If you want the bumper that would be $50 plus shipping from Oregon.

Last edited by 2blu442; January 18th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:31 PM

Yes! This is the 1970 cutlass s in the major build part of the forum. You are very generous! sure you don't need something for those parts?

I will take the brackets and lights. I think I will buy a "new" front bumper since rechroming is more than a new one.

The original was very nice! That is why they took it.

PM Me and we can work out the details. Or I will PM you tomorrow. Going to bed - Really upset hope I can calm down so I can fall asleep.

Again thanks

Doug
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Registered Luser

Sounds like crackheads to me......you'll find those parts ending up on a donk! That part of town....I feel bad for the good people of Detroit! It's a shame what has become of that area! Good luck my friend!
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM
GM Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about that Doug. I hope your able to track down what you need and get your car out of there before anything else happens.
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:58 PM

Ouch, that stinks hope you have some luck recovering your stuff.
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM

man, and isn't Lansing in better shape than most cities in MI? Sorry to hear about this, good advice from folks, I need to look into this as well as the shop working on my car "lost" a few parts as well. Maybe its worth going the insurance route thoug at this point I've found everything but the 14" SSII spare tire and from what I gather those are a dime a dozen.

What color is your interior I may have an brand new extra seat back (pearl) for you if you find a seat that needs to be redone.
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:40 AM

The interior color is black. I'm amazed at the support.
Old January 19th, 2010, 03:53 AM

If only it were legal in all 50 states to shoot and kill intruders.
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by wjustinmartin
That might be the worst advice I have EVER seen posted - risk your life and jail time for the parts. The parts are rare, but not more rare than a life.
I agree. No sense in being stupid.

Hark, hope you get back on track shortly. It really sucks to get hit by lowlifes like that. Glad it wasn't any worse for you.
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:53 AM

Ouch, I hate a thief.

But it is better to be stole from.................than to steal.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Bummer!
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Sorry to hear about your lost Hark. Hope you are able to recover or find replacement parts for your project. Thieves' should have their hands cut off. We don't work hard for our things to have some low life take them away.
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:04 AM

I think if it were me (and IMHO), I would seriously consider removing my car from the shop. It's a shame to have to do that with a work in progress, but once your marked by crooks, worse things can happen. This is especially true if the police have no leads and cannot act or not have the time to spend on your case. If these low-lifes know they have gotten away clean, what's to prevent them for coming back for another round on an easy target? I'm sorry to have to alert you to this, but better safe than sorrier.
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Exclamation Stolen property

Do what Dan said this happened to my son he kept watching & waiting they came back He called cops they couldn't prove anything & they had my sons Mo. truck tags on their truck! cops told them to take them off !!!!? & sent them on their way KCMO Pull it out now
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM

I really don't think there is anything else they could take from the car at this point. I have taken all other parts home with me and will only bring parts back when they are ready to go onto the car.

I am also very sure that the police are making their presence felt and have a lead. The others (2) people, who have some connection with this guy......I think, both have been interviewed by the police.

The police have let both of them know that they are being considered suspects - or at least that they have too much knowledge of what has happened. They also stated that the guy has a 1970 442 as well. HMMMMMMMMM

And that they had heard that he had got my parts. His name is supposedly named "James"

The theives walked into the shop while the guy was working on the car / or when he stepped out for a few seconds. The body guy has said he will make it "Right" for me.

Will let him finish his work. Plus I have no place to store or work on the car at this time.

By the way.............Didn't sleep very good last night!
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:54 PM

a] It wasn't me. I only have 69's
b] If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, usually it's a duck

Good Luck with getting your stuff back.
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:16 PM

Don't all the old movies talk about the guilty having means, motive, and opportunity.
You already knew the neighbors had means and opportunity.
I'd say the 70 442 is motive.
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:19 AM
car nut farmer

Sorry for the theft.
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Destructor
If only it were legal in all 50 states to shoot and kill intruders.
Well it's legal to shoot in self defense. just remember to yell at them so they turn towards you before you shoot , that way you can tell the cops he was coming at you
As for the theives it sounds like it was the neighbours , the tough part is going to be able to identify the parts. Maybe if there was something specific you can remember about the bumper or seat? Even just a blemish or scratch in a specific area that you could let the cops know so if they come across them they could use that. Good luck and remember to keep asking the police about it so they keep remembering about your case. They have a lot to investigate I am sure so keep on them. plus anything you hear or find out yourself you should pass on to them. good luck .
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Kjr442

Wow Doug, You have found some real support here. I hope al is well now. Kevin

Quick Reply: Shop broken into!