General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Repro dual snorkel air cleaner

Old January 8th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Repro dual snorkel air cleaner

I am seriously considering installing the ram air setup offered by the likes of the Partsplace. Any chance anyone here done the same on their 68 or 69?
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM

I am going to install the same on my 68 when (if I ever) I restore it. Been parked for going on 19 years.
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Car Junkie

I just did the majority of it this week on my 69. I'm waiting for the air cleaner to arrive so I can finish it.
I'm using the scoops Mike Siedlik makes which seem like a durable, flexible plastic. I do have a set of the Parts Place scoops which seem very fragile and brittle to me. In their defense I bought them off a guy who bought them when they first came out but never used them so maybe they've improved them by now? I'd be glad to tell you whatever you want to know about the install.
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Senior Moment Member

I know it looks badass when it's done. How much does the whole setup cost nowadadys?
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
I know it looks badass when it's done. How much does the whole setup cost nowadadys?

Partsplace quoted me $849.00 for everything included below.

(1968 - 1968 Cutlass/442) W-30 W-31 H/O APPEARANCE PACKAGE RAM AIR KIT - , 1 RAM AIR DUAL SNORKLE AIR CLEANER WITH CHROME LID, 1 PAIR OF CLOTH HOSES, 1 PAIR OF BUMPER SCOOPS, 1 PAIR OF HOSE BRACKETS, 1 SET OF STAINLESS MOLDINGS FOR SCOOPS, 1 PAIR OF SCOOP MOUNTING BRACKETS, 1 PAIR OF AIR CLEANER HOSE CLAMPS, 1 PAIR OF BUMPER SCOOP HOSE CLAMPS

Last edited by Nilsson; January 9th, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Senior Moment Member

Everything is too damned expensive these days. That's a lot of moolah for scoops. It'll probably be the only Olds at a show with the under the bumper scoops though. Mine is every time.
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Car Junkie

I know, all that stuff adds up but it does look bad *** and is functional too. They usually have a deal on the whole package on ebay for $750 quite often. The thing I liked about Siedlik's scoops (besides the better quality) is his come ready to bolt on - brackets, bolts, instructions, chrome trim, everything. The Parts Place stuff has to be bought all seperate and adds up rapidly. Mike's are actually slightly cheaper when you add it all up. Plus, Mike is an Olds guy and loves these cars as much as we do. He's a good guy to deal with.
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Four Four Tony
I know, all that stuff adds up but it does look bad *** and is functional too. They usually have a deal on the whole package on ebay for $750 quite often. The thing I liked about Siedlik's scoops (besides the better quality) is his come ready to bolt on - brackets, bolts, instructions, chrome trim, everything. The Parts Place stuff has to be bought all seperate and adds up rapidly. Mike's are actually slightly cheaper when you add it all up. Plus, Mike is an Olds guy and loves these cars as much as we do. He's a good guy to deal with.

Can you hook me up with Siedliks?
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Car Junkie

His web site is down for some reason but here's a link to his ebay store. You should be able to contact him from there. If not let me know and I'll dig up his email address.

http://stores.ebay.com/Mikes442-and-Attic-Treasures
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM

I plan on installing Ram air also but I wanted to use this instead........

Old January 10th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Car Junkie

That'd be a little tough to attach hoses to and still use an air filter wouldn't? it?
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM

I like these better. They don't have the stock look some of you may be after. But they are functional and look cool. I am considering one and taking out my inner headlights and putting the inlets there.

http://www.ramairbox.com/
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM

That'd be a little tough to attach hoses to and still use an air filter wouldn't? it?

Naw those filters come off!!!!

Hey Stickman thats a good site never seen it before!!!

Last edited by Wyze; January 10th, 2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old January 11th, 2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wyze
Naw those filters come off!!!!
...but a filter would still be needed somewhere
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 69Rman

I got an idea for that already!!!!
Good looking out!!!!!
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:39 AM

What I use to have cost me about $20. I picked up a cleaner from the junkyard for a buck and cut a hole in the base and welded a snorkle to the other side. Then I picked up some hose and put it on the car. Worked and looked great until I replaced it with a 70 version to go with the OAI hood I'm running now.

Then
Image086.jpg

Now
DSC_4808.jpg
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM

Very creative!!!!
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by 69Rman

I have the single inlet airhat like this. What I thought of doing was putting a filter like pictured down inside the fender infront of the wheel. Using intercooler tubing to go from the filter to the airhat. Then box in the filter with a scoop leading from the bumper to the box
Old January 14th, 2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
What I use to have cost me about $20. I picked up a cleaner from the junkyard for a buck and cut a hole in the base and welded a snorkle to the other side. Then I picked up some hose and put it on the car. Worked and looked great until I replaced it with a 70 version to go with the OAI hood I'm running now.
And where did you route the hose for the intake?
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Longroof
And where did you route the hose for the intake?
The hoses were long enough to go aorund the sides and come out in the bumper slots (see below)

DSC_2502.jpg

Old January 19th, 2010, 05:45 PM

I bought my whole set up from the Partsplace. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. The flex hoses are dead on for the originals and I got the complete kit, so everything was there. Only draw back has been the hose-to-air cleaner clamps have since developed surface rust, but that almost makes it look original... Can't speak for the other companies, but mine worked out ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bjgs442ENG.JPG (137.7 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by 4speedBench; January 22nd, 2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:27 PM
1970 442

You guys got it all wrong. THIS is Ram Air.
Attached Images
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:38 PM
Car Junkie

Wow! That man is a genius!!!
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:40 PM
Registered Luser

Some kind of science project?
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM

I've been thinking about one of these setups for my '68, but will have to see how the budget shakes out toward the end of its resto....

I just did the majority of it this week on my 69. ....
I'm using the scoops Mike Siedlik makes which seem like a durable, flexible plastic. ...I liked about Siedlik's scoops (besides the better quality) is his come ready to bolt on - brackets, bolts, instructions, chrome trim, everything. The Parts Place stuff has to be bought all seperate and adds up rapidly. Mike's are actually slightly cheaper when you add it all up. Plus, Mike is an Olds guy and loves these cars as much as we do. He's a good guy to deal with..

http://stores.ebay.com/Mikes442-and-Attic-Treasures
Good info! I didn't know there was another source. I would rather support an Olds guy than have to wrangle with TPP...

Has anyone ever compared one of these (either Mike Siedlik's or TPP's) to an original for fit/finish/accuracy ? I agree they're expensive, but the OAI setup looks so nice and it'd make the decision easier knowing that they look like they're supposed to....
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM

Supercars Unlimited also has them, but they ain't cheap.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:27 AM
Sleeper!

Hi there, I have a question for 442much, I like your pics. My 68 has a similar air cleaner with dual snorkels like yours and I am planning to do the exact same thing you have done with the flex tubing. Do you find a difference with this set up? Am I correct that you built this "dual" out of two seperate cleaners?? K&N filter also going into mine. I have family and friends in Sherwood Park, cool!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:32 AM

455rkt,

I cannot say you can't feel a differnece from the "seat of the pants" (nor can you on any air induction system) and the system (under bumper style) is not really a "ram air" set up- more akin to Cowl Induction, where, it allows the engine to only pull outside (cooler/dense) air, therefore your motor is producing more HP. The level of HP generated depends on speeds, etc., but it is a performance benefit, just not one you may notice much. The "cool factor" you'll notice immediately !
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Sleeper!

4speedBench, thanks for the input. Answer me this if you can. The dual snorkel air cleaner on my 455 is great, BUT i don't often see them on other 455's, do you know if it was an option, or is my air cleaner not original (i dont care). In my 68 service manual there is a birds eye schematic of the frame and engine that shows the dual snorkel air cleaner. Thoughts?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:38 AM

Rkt,

Not sure about your model, others may know. On 68 442s only forced air induction equipped cars had dual snorkel. I'd say your service manual is a pretty good indicator.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 455 rkt
Hi there, I have a question for 442much, I like your pics. My 68 has a similar air cleaner with dual snorkels like yours and I am planning to do the exact same thing you have done with the flex tubing. Do you find a difference with this set up? Am I correct that you built this "dual" out of two seperate cleaners?? K&N filter also going into mine. I have family and friends in Sherwood Park, cool!
Look me up next time you're out this way. My set up was made because they never made one for my year and I thought they were cool looking. I never changed over for the performance benefit, only the asthetics. Can't really say if there was a performance gain. My engine was rebuilt to over 400 HP so I know the cold air will not take away from the power, it could only add to it or have no effect at all.

It's two air breathers made into one. The picture I used above is an older one. About two weeks before I made the change over to the OAI system with the W25 hood, I found some plastic snorkle ends that would work in place of the stainless worm clamp. It looks more authentic and I like the looks. I also found plastic ends for the ends of the hose at the bumper outlets. Don't have pictures of that since I made the change over only a short time after finding the plastic pieces. The whole deal was about $20.
The set up is not original for my year, but is an Oldsmobile idea used on an Oldsmobile car, and that's OK with me.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM

I added the OAI set-up on my 69, I bought the air cleaner housing at a chebby swap meet (the camaro and chevelle guys didn't know what it was!) I bought the rest of the parts needed aftermarket. Looks good, I love the comments at the car shows and drag strip, most people outside the Olds community have no idea what the OAI system is.
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 4speedBench
I bought my whole set up from the Partsplace. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. The flex hoses are dead on for the originals and I got the complete kit, so everything was there. Only draw back has been the hose-to-air cleaner clamps have since developed surface rust, but that almost makes it look original... Can't speak for the other companies, but mine worked out ok.

4-speed, I just purchased this kit from the Partsplace. Do you have any tips or pictures on the exact location you used to mount the scoops?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:41 AM

My understanding is no one supplies a templet to cut the holes in the fenders. I'd like to see one if someone has one [or made one]
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Nilsson,

Hope these shots help. I studied two original w-30 cars to get my reference points. One of the key indicators was that the 4" holes appear to align perfectly with the center bolt of the inner fender structure along the sides of the radiator support. Hopefully the picture below helps with my attempt to describe. The brackets that actually attach to the scoops was the hardest part...a bit of trial error for me. To do correctly, you should buy the w-30 specific fender to frame braces (I've seen for $75.00) that help clear the scoops. I did not buy these and was able work them into place and they look correct standing in front of the car. So it's your call. Either way, take your time on the scoop brackets. You'll be able to test fit what you need to do once the 4" holes are cut. BTW, a 4" hole circular hole cutter makes this part take about 30 seconds. They were actually cut more crudely from the factory.

Good luck!
Attached Images
DSC00330.jpg (36.0 KB, 113 views)
driverside.jpg (40.9 KB, 104 views)
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM

You are good, if you get bored and need something to do a picture of the scoops from underneath (specifically the brackets) would be most excellent although not required.

I really appreciate the info and pictures. This gives me a great starting point which is 90 % of the battle.

Again thank you very much.

Last edited by Nilsson; March 26th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Car Junkie

I have a picture of the holes with dimensions. If you buy the scoops from Mike Siedlik (like I did) he gives you the diagram with them. I can email it to you if you need it.
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:09 PM

That would be great-thanks
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Banned

HERE IS A PIC OF A SCOOP OPENING

Old March 26th, 2010, 12:33 PM

I have a picture of the holes with dimensions. If you buy the scoops from Mike Siedlik (like I did) he gives you the diagram with them. I can email it to you if you need it.
Do me the same if you would please.

Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repro dual snorkel air cleaner