General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Painted bumpers, what yall think about them???

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2010, 08:55 PM

Painted bumpers, what yall think about them???

P7150015.jpg

P7150005.jpg
P7150007.jpg
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I only like painted bumpers on Rallye 350s. I don't like big wheels either. But it is your car and it should be what you want. You haven't done anything that would prevent the car from being put back original. It is all a matter of opinions and what you like. Looks like a very nice car.
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:25 PM

That first picture is very nice! The sunset reflecting off the side shows a super straight body!
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:38 PM

Sorry but it not mine,(I wish it was) I own a 68 and I wanna close the gap between the bumpers & body, and and 72 turn signals in the front one!!! Oh how could you not like big rims!!!

Last edited by Wyze; January 8th, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:07 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Painted bumpers are for rallye 350's,and back in the day,painted bumpers were not very popular. I've heard stories about dealers having to put chrome bumpers on the rallye's to get them to sell.

With a few minor adjustments,that supreme would look great.

Big wheels are for stagecoaches and buckboard wagons

72 fog lights???

Old January 7th, 2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin

Big wheels are for stagecoaches and buckboard wagons
and tricycles

not my cup of tea, too much a traditionalist I guess.
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:38 AM
car nut farmer

Painted bumpers look good on a Rally.
I don't care for huge wheels.
I'd skip filling the gap.
Those are turn signals on the '72.

Remember, any radical alterations will likely lower the future marketability of your car. But it's your car and your money.

Welcome to the board.
Old January 7th, 2010, 05:42 AM

That is a straight car but I don't care for the painted bumpers. Maybe if they were done in steel gray, or aluminum. Those wheels are also too big. Anything bigger than 15" on a classic car looks odd. Whatever floats your boat though.
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:30 AM

There is a black Dodge dart that shows up at local shows here. He painted the bumpers the steel gray and it looks nice. Painting the bumpers body color is where I personally draw the line.
During the refinish of my car I considered painting the bumpers silver gray. They were too bent up and rust to justify the time. Bought new reproductions and they look pretty nice for now.

Kevin R
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Gearhead

Wow, that'a a hell of a paint job on that black car. I'm not a fan of the monochrome look on the older cars, but it's a mod that can be changed back easily enough. I'd be worried about rock chips, though. I think maybe on a car like that black one I'd be tempted to meet halfway and go with black chrome.
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:05 AM

On old car with big bumpers. The chrome makes the car without the chrome it doesn't stand out.
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Registered

To me painted bumpers always look like your bumpers were messed up so you painted them.

Those big wheels look okay if the car is lowered, has big disc brakes front and rear to fill up all that space and give a reason to even have them, and the right style.
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Captain of my ship

Speaking of chrome bumpers, anyone know when the last year for chrome bumpers was? The 73 Z28 might have been the last muscle car but I found a 75 MG V8 with chrome bumpers and a 76 royals royce. Anything after that?
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:26 AM

Painted bumbers, I don't like them. If larger wheels are the right style and do not have rubber band tires then some of them are ok. Yours are not bad but not as nice as others I have seen.
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Cutlass Lover

Rubber band tires... That's funny Citcapp!! When I got The Prettiest One, the guy had those big "low profile" or whatever they're called - tires on her, and they were on some gold spoked rims! God!! She drove terrible, and those tires always looked flat to me. Thank God her original rims were in the trunk! I had them changed the first week I had her! She was not The Prettiest One with gold spoked rims and big flat tires!!!
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Painted bumpers look nice if done nicely in good taste. The black all does blend together well in the car pictured, but IMHO, chrome does set the car off more.
Old cars look best in their chrome.

However, painted bumpers are barely durable enough for trailer show queens. Even a poorer choice for daily drivers. I hate the fact that you can't get a new car now days without the stupid painted plastic bumpers that lack the "bumper" ability. Heck, a shopping cart moving at 2mph can cause over $1000 in damage to the stupid things. I had the front "bumper" of my Caddy repainted twice (with insurance) from minor incidents that would not have even hurt real metal bumpers. Each Caddy case was over $1K.
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:22 AM

I forgot to say a black car needs chrome bumpers. Two things that go togather is black and chrome.
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Loose Radical

That car looks GREAT! All of it.
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM
car guy

Painted bumpers can be made to look OK but you need some thought to pull it off.

As for big wheels its all about the combo and stance. That car has neither. It does not help using elcheapo chrome wheels from rent a tire.
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM

75 MG V8 with chrome bumpers and a 76 royals royce.
Full sized Oldsmobiles were using chrome bumpers in the mid 80s. My 1990 Buick Estate Wagon had chrome bumpers.
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM

I like painted bumpers.
100_3888.jpg

100_4034.jpg

100_4033.jpg

100_3887.jpg
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Car Junkie

I think the car looks great! It's your car, enjoy it.
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Although I wish it was my car its not. I really like it but if you don't, deal with it!!!! Lol!!!! JK!!!! As for as big rims they are beautiful with the right stance IMO, get with the times..... Resto Mod!!!!

Last edited by Wyze; January 7th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
I like painted bumpers.
I sure like your choptop - looks great! I bet that was a big challenge to create...
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Aii I see is Japanese ( 90%) where I am and 90% have painted fenders -no chrome --need more chrome not less .IMHO
As they say , whatever spins ya wheels
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Almost every car built today has painted bumpers. I bought a Olds 442 because I didn't want a "me too" mobile. I like chrome better. Larger wheels I don't mind, but since you're asking, these wheels are too big. They don't fit the body. Men like *****. But a woman with 44 DD ***** and a 24" waist just wouldn't do it for me. There are some nice aftermarket wheels out there but proportion is the key word for me. The car has to look like it isn't driving on the rims. Tires are key to the esthetics of a car . Given a choice between the two - bumpers or wheels, I'd change the wheels. I can live with painted bumpers more than wheels that don't "fit". Just my $0.02
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM

Nice car,but I think it needs more chrome on the front and back and less in the wheel wells. Just my opinion.
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Past Administrator

I think that look is what they call DONK. Don't care for it.
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I think that look is what they call DONK. Don't care for it.

Not true, a Donk is a early 70s to mid70s Caprice or Impala!!!
An Olds is not a Donk don't ever disrespect an Olds by calling it a Chebbie please!!! Lol!! When you have big rims your tires should be small as possible!!!

Last edited by Wyze; January 7th, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:58 PM
car nut farmer

meh.....you asked for opinions, you got 'em.

Classic car people are by nature highly opinionated.

Again, welcome to the site, lots of good people and info.
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by 71rocket
meh.....you asked for opinions, you got 'em.

Classic car people are by nature highly opinionated.

Again, welcome to the site, lots of good people and info.
Meh..... I hope you didn't get offended, I was simply trying to clear up the term Donk.... And it doesn't matter what type of car guy a person is most are opinionated including myself... I got chrome 15" Cutlass rallys on my 68 but I also got 22" rims with low profile tires, I got 15" Cragars on my 86 but I plan on buying 24" rims for it also... I'm only 30 so I guess I'm caught inbetween the youngsters and the old tymers, I wouldn't pull up to a place were older guys are on big rims I wait till I'm ready to go to a spot where the younger crowd is , with that said I think it's a place and time for both!!!! JMO!!! I already knew I would get different opinions thats all they are opinions...

Thanks for both welcomes I'm glad to be a member of this board.... WYZE

Last edited by Wyze; January 7th, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:01 PM

I'm not fond of painted bumpers when they're not on a Pontiac. As far as the wheels, why do you want your car to look like a Conestoga Wagon?
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:33 PM
GM Enthusiast

Ouch! I am not sure what a Conestoga wagon is but I am not sure that it is that offensive.

I'm only 30 so I guess I'm caught in between the youngster and the old timers, I wouldn't pull up to a place were older guys are on big rims I wait till I'm ready to go to a spot where the younger crowd is , with that said I think it's a place and time for both!!!! JMO!!! I already knew I would get different opinions thats all they are opinions...
Anyway, Wyze, I am not that much older than you and understand what you mean. Like you said, you're going to get different opinions on the issue, especially by different age groups. Personally, I like chrome so I would prefer the chrome bumpers because I believe it gives them a lot of class. But the painted bumpers do not look that bad on that car.

I like both original and larger rims on older cars. But I rarely see anything larger than 18's that look proportional to the cars and the fitment in the wheelwells. And, if you like driving your car, I don't car for the ride penalty when you have skinny stiff sidewalls like, for example, with 22 or 24 inch wheels. But it's their car, if they like driving down the street and losing their teeth everytime they hit a bump, then good for them!
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Cutlass Lover

Hey.... Where did my comment go to Wyze's previous not nice post??? I know it was there before Darrell posted! No matter... I'm glad someone got rid of that post because it wasn't very nice. Thank You!
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Hey.... Where did my comment go to Wyze's previous not nice post??? I know it was there before Darrell posted! No matter... I'm glad someone got rid of that post because it wasn't very nice. Thank You!

Old January 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Cutlass Lover

Thank you!!!
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Thank you!!!

Old January 7th, 2010, 08:16 PM

I like chrome better, but in the right setting a painted bumper is ok

I like larger rims ok, but not so big the tires look like rubber bands - I want at least 55 worth of tire to take the typical street
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I sure like your choptop - looks great! I bet that was a big challenge to create...

I wished I could take credit for it but I can't. There is little interior so one can see exactly what they did. Pretty cool in fact. We bought it with all the body work done for the most part. We just cleaned up the rear rollpan/bumper and painted it. For now it's a spraybomb job just so we could see if it looked good in this color. See we feel it resembles a WWII fighter plane. It has that long nose short windshield look. We hope to do a better job at a later date. It will also be getting better wheels and an Olds 350 over the winter.
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:30 AM

Personally, I think anything bigger than 18" wheels on a Cutlass looks "too big". But if someone likes 20's, 22's, 24's, if it is what they really want then more power to them. It would be pretty boring if we all did our cars exactly the same. I think a lot people get caught in the "me-too" trap. One example of this is the 18" front, 20" rear wheels on muscle cars that seems to be everywhere in magazines lately. I've even seen a few 17"/20" combos. I think it looks alright on a fenderless street rod, but is totally out of proportion on a full bodied car. If someone does it to their car because they thought it looked awesome, that's cool. I'll bet most people do it because they saw a few other cars with them and thought they were "missing out" on something.
Same for the bumpers. I think body colored bumpers look better on a brighter car (like a Rallye 350) but if the owner likes it, cool.
I say do what you like, not what you think other people would like.
I've had some people tell me I've "ruined" my car, but I like it and I didn't build it for them.

Quick Reply: Painted bumpers, what yall think about them???