General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Technostalgia air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM

Technostalgia air cleaner

Anyone here have one of these? I'm wondering if they are any good. Any thoughts?

http://www.cool-leds.com/catalog3a.pdf
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM

I have one and it's for sale if you're interested. It looks great, But I am going a different direction.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:59 AM

Those are pretty cool.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It would be period correct for your car. The originals were oil bath and most people take the oil bath out and use a paper element instead. These are very cool and pretty expensive. I did not see a price on this one. The originals usually go for over a 100 bucks on ebay. I think they are really cool on the right cars.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM

I have the original oil bath cleaner for my car. I'm in the process of repairing a dent in the front of it. I also have the original Rochester carb, but it's a piece of junk. There's an Edelbrock carb on there now and with this air cleaner I could leave it on until I could get (afford) a good Rochester. This cleaner lists at $129.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:06 AM

Have you considered rebuilding the original Rochester carburetor? You can probably get a rebuild kit from Fusicks if it is unavailable from your local parts store. Rochester carburetors are pretty durable and often perform much better after a rebuild. Of course, it depends on whether or not you want your car to be "original."
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM

I've seen them in rod shops (SOCAL) for about $100. I think they are called "Batwing" air cleaners and are period correct for your car.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:13 PM

I do want the car to be as original as possible. The Rochester that I have, I think, is beyond repair. At least cost-prohibitively.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
GM Enthusiast

Those are pretty cool.
x2
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

jad717 - one of the things that will be a serious consideration in changing the carb is the transmission linkage. I don't know squat about it but I do know from reading threads on here that it has to be just right. Hopefully Coldwar will speak up since he is one of the resident experts on 50's Oldsmobiles. There are several others also. I think rebuilding you carb or finding a like replacement is going to be your best net. Yes Dan, the air cleaners are called batwing. Cadillac's and Oldsmobiles used them in the mid 50's. Street rodders have loved them for years. They are cool. I have one but it is for another project and not my 72 Cutlass. I am using a dual snorkle 66 Tornado air cleaner on it.
Old December 25th, 2009, 08:59 AM

I put one of these on my 57, but two issues needed to be addressed to make fit. It is, however, a nice air cleaner, it even came with an original style "AC" sticker. The issues to make fit are as follows:
Issue 1: The air cleaner is made to fit a "modern" four barrel carb, meaning it has a 5-1/8" hole instead of a 4-3/16" hole that fits 50s vintage carbs. With your Edelbrock this is not a problem, but you must use an adapter if you use an original style four barrel. The only adapters I was able to find are plastic, do not use as they are JUNK. If they do not break on initial installation, engine vibrations will do it in short order. Rumor has it that aluminum ones exist, but since I couldn’t find one I turned my own out of a chunk of aluminum, not a big deal if you have or know someone with a lathe.
Issue 2: The air cleaner sits way to high, the hood (at least on my 57 with original engine/carb) did not come even close to closing. Turns out there is just way too little dish on the base of the air cleaner. The filter in the Technostalgia happens to be 14” in diameter and 4” tall which is the same filter used in the 14” open chrome air cleaners that can be found at almost all swap meets or eBay for $30 new or less. I happened to have one of these air cleaners lying around, I took the base and ‘son of a gun’ it just fit through the hole in the Technostalgia top. I then robbed the filter out of my 289 Hi-Po (14” OD by 2” tall) and assembled effectively lowering the air cleaner 2”. Add back ~1/2” for the adapter, the 1-1/2” lowering now clears the hood with minimal clearance. Your 54 might (assuming your aviator is correct) might have more clearance, but be prepared for a problem.

For what it is worth . . .
Old December 25th, 2009, 10:01 PM

NMCarnut, Thanks for the detailed info. Should really come in handy. Thanks.