General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Quadrajet rebuild book?

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Quadrajet rebuild book?

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to look at these books & which ones are worth picking up??

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify...7706200&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Rochester-Carb...7706200&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Rochester-Carb...7706200&sr=1-3

Here is a link to all the books that came up during the search.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...drajet&x=0&y=0
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to look at these books & which ones are worth picking up??

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify...7706200&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Rochester-Carb...7706200&sr=1-2

I have this one. Its a really good book if you want some details of early QJet development and rebuilds. The pics are quite good, and the explanations are easy to understand.
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Our last newsletter had a summary on the first book shown "How To Rebuild and Modify The Q-jet" by Cliff Ruggles, with pictures and all. It was 5 pages but we print a 26 page newsletter so we still had lots of room. The article was quite good so I don't think you'd go wrong with the first book.
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:20 PM
1970 442

The Doug Roe book is very old, written in 1987, but still has great information.

The best book for modifying a Q-Jet is the Cliff Ruggles book.

If you have the means, I suggest both. If you just want one, I'd suggest the Cliff Ruggles version.
Old November 9th, 2009, 05:45 AM

I have the Doug Roe book. It has excellent information.
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Age is relative

Originally Posted by WhatIf
The Doug Roe book is very old, written in 1987.............
Ouch! That hurt! 1987 is very old??? Then some of us must be listed on the Worlds endangered species list. Age is relative. A 1987 Book or person is in my opinion, still only 22 years old. Or as we ancient mariners would say, still wet behind their ears. Q jet development and production had a limited lifespan in the automotive production era. Now everything is EFI, so I consider books that speak to the period a valuable addition to the information collection. BTW, the Doug Roe book also speaks to the various intake manifolds and modifications that would increase performance of those really old carbs. I owned 4 cars before I was 22 and only 1 of them had the luxury of a Qjet 4bbl. It was a real treat.
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
1970 442

I meant "old" in reference to the fact that the Cliff Ruggles book took all the information from the 1987 Doug Roe book, and updated it. Cliff has some real world testing, better pictures, and lots of info on how to identify specific Q-jets, along with some interesting modifications. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Doug Roe book. Heck, the info is still relevant, because when you think about it, they didn't make Q-jets after 1987, did they?

But the Cliff Ruggles book goes into some specific tuning setups, talks about the Edelbrock Q-Jets, and some other things that have happened since then. But they're both great books, and if the funds are available, I'd get them both.
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by WhatIf
I meant "old" in reference to the fact that the Cliff Ruggles book took all the information from the 1987 Doug Roe book, and updated it. Cliff has some real world testing, better pictures, and lots of info on how to identify specific Q-jets, along with some interesting modifications. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Doug Roe book. Heck, the info is still relevant, because when you think about it, they didn't make Q-jets after 1987, did they?

But the Cliff Ruggles book goes into some specific tuning setups, talks about the Edelbrock Q-Jets, and some other things that have happened since then. But they're both great books, and if the funds are available, I'd get them both.
Just having some fun with ya whatif. I agree with what you've said and I don't mind the reference to "very old". It's just such a goooood lead in line for my post, I couldn't resist. Cheers!
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Cliff Ruggles book no question. Doug Roe book is a good second choice, but the Ruggles book is what you want/need
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Off Topic ...

Is there a 850 cfm Q-jet for Oldsmobiles ..?
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM

I don't believe there was an 850 cfm Q-jet available. I thought the largest was 800 cfm (this is without looking at the Doug Roe book I have).

I don't know about the other two books; however, the Doug Roe book has so much information in it that you won't use all of it unless you are building a Q-jet for the strip. When I rebuilt my Q-jet for my street driven 71 98 I got it close to optimal with just browsing the book and using it in conjuction with my FSM and rebuilt kit instructions. None the less it is good info to have.
Old November 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM
1970 442

Edelbrock made an 850 cfm Q-Jet a few years ago, but I think it's out of production now. I think most of the factory Q-jets were 750 cfm, then 800 cfm from 1971-up. There was a Q-Jet for the 1971 Pontiac 455HO carb that had the outer booster rings removed on the primaries to get more flow, but I'm not sure exactly what they were rated at.

You can do your own porting on a standard Q-jet and get 1000 cfm. One of the nice things about a Q-jet is that the secondaries only open as much as the engine needs, so no harm done if you're engine can't use all 1000 cfm.