General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

how did classic Oldsmobile get started and who started it?

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2009, 04:35 PM

how did classic Oldsmobile get started and who started it?

just wondering how this all started and any stories of the process.
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM

I know Oldsguy took over Administrator duties from a member named Cars2007. I think he or she is the one that originally setup the website. Other than that I have no idea...
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
just wondering how this all started and any stories of the process.
X2, Always kinda wondered that myself...???
Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:59 AM

I thought it was Al Gore right after he invented the internet.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
Oldsdruid

Algore and old Oldsmobiles? An incongruous combination if ever was... That'd be like Ralph Nader starting a Corvair enthusiast website.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Past Administrator

Can't remember when, but maybe three years ago I was asked by the owner of the site to administrate it on their behalf. They are kind of like absentee landlords. I think they may own other car related sites and we rarely ever see them now since we have such an active administrator/moderator workforce. I thin Paul talks to them more often now than I have recently. Such as a few recent changes to the site servers/engines/software etc.
Old September 29th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Some more info here...

Cars2007 wasn't the original Admin. I recognize that as being an InternetBrands forum ID, so it came in when they purchased the site in 2006-07.

Doing a little research in Admin Contol Panel, I found the following oldest members:

Edsdelta December 12th, 2001
70ragtop December 15th, 2001
AM6_Cutlass December 18th, 2001
Craig Van Buren December 18th, 2001
THE KNEEBITER December 18th, 2001
bacon December 21st, 2001
Wayne December 23rd, 2001

None of them have been on for a looooooong time, except "Craig Van Buren" who was on once this year. I'll have to PM him and see if he remembers who was admining back when he joined and/or where the site came from.

Of the above list, only "70ragtop" lists an email that indicated he might have been an admin, altho his posts don't look admin-like. Nor do any of the posts from the others.

I suspect that the original admins have deleted their user IDs, or something corrupted the database and the oldest stuff is just gone now. I'll keep hunting around though and see what I can reconstruct.

I thought I had heard or read once that this site was migrated from another one. Have to see if I can find that again.

Stay tuned!
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:59 AM

Interesting stuff Paul. BTW, where is our website's database? Is it on some long lost admin's server or is it all stored on a server by vBulletin (the software used for posting)? I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computer stuff.
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Past Administrator

It would be very nice to know our "roots" so to speak. Thanks for the research.
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Well there are 2 components here for the site: the front end "web application" that's vBB (also known as vBulletin, which I think was originally titled Virtual Bulletin Board. In the old days leading up to the internet, forums started out on software called "Bulletin boards" that you had to dial into individually. Yes, I was doing this even back then ).

Underlying vBB, all the posts, user records, pictures, etc etc - everything that makes up the site - is stored in a backend database (db). Depending on the size and volume of the site, the db could reside on it's own server, or it could share with the one that hosts the site and runs the vBB. A site like this might run on 1 or 2 webservers, which are interconnected and typically load balance during times of high traffic. A truly large site, like RX7Club.com (another site I admin) with 150,000 users probably runs on a cluster of 3 to 10 web/vBB servers and at least one or more BIG database servers. As far as I can tell, all the servers are hosted out of California where Internet Brands has their business offices.

Back in 2006 or so Internet Brands decided it would be a good business to start purchasing Internet forums of all kinds, including Automotive forums like this one. Smart move in my opinion, as we all know how addictive forums can be, plus if you're interested in pretty much ANYthing these days, you can be sure there's at least 1 forum out there about it with people who share your interest. These forums are one of the great things about the internet, IMHO. So Internet Brands first bought the company that produces the vBulletin software (the market leader) so they could totally customize and interconnect their sites, then they started purchasing forums that had been previously independant. I was very close with one of the big multi-site owners, so I watched that happen first hand. I just checked their website ( http://www.internetbrands.com/ib ) and it looks like they have around 100 internet forum sites in a dozen or so different topic areas.

Anyhow, probably more info than you wanted. Hope it helps.
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info Paul. Let us know if you dig up any information on the origins of our website. I'm surprised Joe P. or Norm don't know how it started. Don't they have alot of Oldsmobile connections outside of our website?
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:48 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Omicron
Well there are 2 components here for the site: the front end "web application" that's vBB (also known as vBulletin, which I think was originally titled Virtual Bulletin Board. In the old days leading up to the internet, forums started out on software called "Bulletin boards" that you had to dial into individually. Yes, I was doing this even back then ).

Underlying vBB, all the posts, user records, pictures, etc etc - everything that makes up the site - is stored in a backend database (db). Depending on the size and volume of the site, the db could reside on it's own server, or it could share with the one that hosts the site and runs the vBB. A site like this might run on 1 or 2 webservers, which are interconnected and typically load balance during times of high traffic. A truly large site, like RX7Club.com (another site I admin) with 150,000 users probably runs on a cluster of 3 to 10 web/vBB servers and at least one or more BIG database servers. As far as I can tell, all the servers are hosted out of California where Internet Brands has their business offices.

Back in 2006 or so Internet Brands decided it would be a good business to start purchasing Internet forums of all kinds, including Automotive forums like this one. Smart move in my opinion, as we all know how addictive forums can be, plus if you're interested in pretty much ANYthing these days, you can be sure there's at least 1 forum out there about it with people who share your interest. These forums are one of the great things about the internet, IMHO. So Internet Brands first bought the company that produces the vBulletin software (the market leader) so they could totally customize and interconnect their sites, then they started purchasing forums that had been previously independant. I was very close with one of the big multi-site owners, so I watched that happen first hand. I just checked their website ( http://www.internetbrands.com/ib ) and it looks like they have around 100 internet forum sites in a dozen or so different topic areas.

Anyhow, probably more info than you wanted. Hope it helps.
Hey there paul you peaked my interest.My friend is on a chevy truck site same friend I posted the info on his 67 chevy about.The site has similaritys to co are they in anyway afiliated at least with the companys you mentioned.This is the site http://67-72chevytrucks.com/ .
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Interesting serendipity! I have a friend who's on that same site I work with! Small world, huh?
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Registered

If you go to the bottom of the page and click on "advertising" it will take you to the Internet Brands advertising homepage and all the sites they run/own are listed there.
There are 95 sites. I didn't count them, it says it on the right.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:31 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Omicron
Interesting serendipity! I have a friend who's on that same site I work with! Small world, huh?
Yes it is a small world.The thing I find slighly foul is the paying to post ads.Might be just me but seems odd to charge fans of a site unless they don't use the ads like above to cover the site costs.I helped my friend figure stuff out on his site and finally posted info and the fact he was selling his truck and they locked and removed the post.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:34 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Bluevista
If you go to the bottom of the page and click on "advertising" it will take you to the Internet Brands advertising homepage and all the sites they run/own are listed there.
There are 95 sites. I didn't count them, it says it on the right.
that is quite a list.
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Registered car nut

67-72Chevytrucks.com Is a very good site. Been a member there for a few years now.
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:23 AM
The Charter Member

Got the ball rolling for classicoldsmobile.com

Glad to see everything is still holding strong! I captured the domain after it had expired in 2001. This was a few years before GM decided to ax Oldsmobile. I owned a 1966 Delta 88, which brought me online to look for parts and other enthusiasts. I wanted to make a community and provide a basic knowledge base for others like myself to refer to whenever they had an issue or was looking for advice for their project. I decided to sell the website in December 2005 after my personal time diminished-- passing the torch to the next person worthy of bringing it to the next level (and it did!).

You guys should check out how the site evolved over the years:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/https:/...oldsmobile.com

This is what I had settled on for the standard design:

http://web.archive.org/web/200505240...ldsmobile.com/
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:34 AM
67 heavy metal

hoo wee now hats some history.I tried to see the oldest but some of them I guess no longer exist.I tell you all I am proud and happy to have joined and be a part of this site and forum.I have gotten alot out of it.
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM

thanks to all that have put so much time into getting this set up. and thanks to all that spend time to maintain it.
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Neat to learn the history of the site. Took a lot of dedication to start and to maintain the site. Hats off to all!!!!!!!
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Registered

Wow! I commend you Edsdelta, thanks for all.
It's like looking back in time to the big bang, the graphics and layout were much cooler.
Changed the logo on top now, a few to choose from and constantly changing.

Thank you for taking the time to read this... I am not worthy!
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM
olds..older..oldest

...in the beginning...

Really enjoying this thread,maybe cause I'm a history buff and my dad's a history professor.All I know is that it takes a heck of a lot of committment and energy to create and maintain ANYTHING as excellent as this site,and I'm eternally grateful that someone started it,and our present administrator and moderators keep it going!Kudo's to you all,with thanks! Derek
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Past Administrator

Ed,
Thanks so much for starter CO. I looked at about 20 or 30 of those pages and was reminded of the way it looked back in 2005 and had forgotten it completely, I do remember the layout in 2006 though. One page I looked at had an article about the transmission and how it was designed for use in tanks. Pretty cool. Is there any way to retrieve some of that for use now? If it is at all possible perhaps you could let Paul have access to some of it.
Thanks again.
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Ed,
Thanks so much for starter CO. I looked at about 20 or 30 of those pages and was reminded of the way it looked back in 2005 and had forgotten it completely, I do remember the layout in 2006 though. One page I looked at had an article about the transmission and how it was designed for use in tanks. Pretty cool. Is there any way to retrieve some of that for use now? If it is at all possible perhaps you could let Paul have access to some of it.
Thanks again.
shure two words (COPY PASTE) ehh at least that is one option lol.
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM
The Charter Member

Cool You're welcome!

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Is there any way to retrieve some of that for use now? If it is at all possible perhaps you could let Paul have access to some of it. Thanks again.
I suppose I'm a bit overwhelmed-- I feel like a Hollywood star or something! I'm happy to have made the right choice. You know, I have some backups kicking around and I'll be more than happy to let them loose (consider it open-source).

At one time I had approached a few Publishers like Chilton and Haynes to get copyrights to "digitize" some of the older chassis manuals. My ultimate goal was to scan any pre-1975 manual I could get my hands on, and put up an online database (kind of like a massive Olds resource database). I must have got a hold of some old-school librarian... and she denied my request unconditionally.
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:20 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Ooh Ooh can I get your autograph???

Old October 1st, 2009, 05:46 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Edsdelta
I suppose I'm a bit overwhelmed-- I feel like a Hollywood star or something! I'm happy to have made the right choice. You know, I have some backups kicking around and I'll be more than happy to let them loose (consider it open-source).

At one time I had approached a few Publishers like Chilton and Haynes to get copyrights to "digitize" some of the older chassis manuals. My ultimate goal was to scan any pre-1975 manual I could get my hands on, and put up an online database (kind of like a massive Olds resource database). I must have got a hold of some old-school librarian... and she denied my request unconditionally.
First let me thank you for grabbing the oppotunity when it presented itself and starting a website that has been immensley helpfull for a novice Oldsmobile owner like myself. i am sure there are tons of guys who are gratefull to have a place to go and find info on problems that may arise from time to time. I think we also have to give koodos to the guys who keep the site running smoothly and those guys who are a wealth of info about Olds and are more than willing to help out.
so do you live close to Stephen king?
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:51 AM

AWSOME!

so do you live close to Stephen king?
Just make sure you don't hit any pedestrians with your van!
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Edsdelta

an ROp member has factory service manuals on CD,he sent me a 1970 service manual about 4 years ago,cant remember who it was,but he had all the years back to 56
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:55 AM
Cutlass Lover

My thanks also to all who keep the site going and running smoothly! I enjoy reading the forums (even if I don't always understand what I'm reading)!! I have learned a lot, and everyone is so helpful, which is greatly appreciated! I don't have people around me that I can ask questions to about my car, and all of you are so knowledgable and helpful and NICE !!!!
I never thought I'd have a 72 Cutlass again, and I'm so glad I found this site and you guys, to help me!! It's a lot of fun too! So thank you all very much!
Old December 11th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Hookers under Hood

Stumbled across this old thread today, Thought I'd kick it up TTT for anyone interested . Kinda cool to hear how it all came to be from beginning. Thanks to all in the beginning and to all that keep it going and monitored today.
Old December 12th, 2015, 06:41 AM
Maintained

waaaay back

going back in time....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1960-jayward-peabody.jpg (34.7 KB, 69 views)
Old December 12th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Olds Fever

Going back can be a good thing at times..... It may help to rejuvenate the soul/mind for looking to the future.....
Old July 24th, 2018, 03:57 PM

A very interesting thread. Thanks Eric for bringing up the subject at the time.
Old July 24th, 2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
A very interesting thread. Thanks Eric for bringing up the subject at the time.
This don't hurt to come to the top again. With Facebook getting so much attention in the Olds community I fear we are going to start going backwards again with false and bad information. People really should keep the detailed questions and information here and not on Facebook.
Old July 24th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Olds Fever

This don't hurt to come to the top again. With Facebook getting so much attention in the Olds community I fear we are going to start going backwards again with false and bad information. People really should keep the detailed questions and information here and not on Facebook.

Totally agree... One stop shopping here at CO... The Facebook sites are too scattered IMO...
Old July 24th, 2018, 05:49 PM

Yup, FB is not the place for the detailed info CO members look for, CO rocks!
Old July 24th, 2018, 05:50 PM

What am I missing on Facebook ? NOTHING ! This is a great site for advice, parts and people. We have everything here that's needed. Thank you ALL !
Old July 24th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
What am I missing on Facebook ? NOTHING ! This is a great site for advice, parts and people. We have everything here that's needed. Thank you ALL !
X2 ... This site is the best ! We have it all here under one roof. I don't have facebook so I can't comment on those sites. Nor will I ever have facebook sooo, you guys are stuck with me
Put-er-ther !
Eric

Quick Reply: how did classic Oldsmobile get started and who started it?