General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1957 j2 cam specifications

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:44 AM

1957 j2 cam specifications

Does anyone know the cam specs for the j2?
Dennis
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:43 PM

What is a W-1 export kit?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:14 AM

Thank you for the information. I talked with iskenderian and got the specs I was after.

Did the J2s come with the extra capacity oil pans or was that an option?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM

I have a set of bumpy valve covers. I was just wondering about the pan. My engine has a normal shaped pan and I nave a pan with the extra capacity canister but did not know if it was correct for the 57 motors. Thanks again for the information.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar
The W-1 'export kit' was the kit of parts available over the counter from Oldsmobile (in 1957, poss. also '58), to (primarily) racers interested in further improvements to cars intended for that purpose. Consisted of Isky E-4 solid lifter camshaft, lifters, VS's, pushrods, adj. rockers arms, bumped valve covers, stainless steel shim head gaskets to further raise c/r. Came in a long wooden crate.

W-1 equipped J-2 engine, note also is standard shift. CW

This info is good to know, and have not seen the W-1 equipped J2 Engine or a photo. Do you mind me asking where you got this magazine? And if you might know if it is available somewhere. It looks like a real find to me.

Not many folks out there have a complete understanding of the racing version of the J2 option (myself included). Another great find would be locating a W-1 Export Kit. What a project that would be for a 57 Olds J2 owner!
Dan

Last edited by Dan Wirth; September 23rd, 2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by coldwar
I examined one complete kit some years ago, but had no chance at buying it. Ross Lombardi, who readers may know, had part of a kit maybe 15 years ago, including the crate. The head gaskets are the most difficult part to find, I happen to have just one.

Willis Dennis mentioned above, made a long study of the W-1, he may by this date have a W-1 equipped J-2 '58 running. He was working towards that, last I knew.

I scanned the image from my magazine a while back. I got that magazine in a pile bought a garage sale some years ago. CW
I paid a visit to ebay right after seeing your post and found a copy of the April 1957 Motor Life. I purchased it for $11.95 (Buy Now price). I'm happy I did that. Lucky find on an obscure first try.

Too bad there isn't a (NOS) W-1 Kit out there somewhere readily available. For those of us who own a 57 or 58 Olds with J2 Option, I can't think of a better conversion project or upgrade.

Thanks for your reply,
Dan